Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Vendetta is offline Today, We are All Hokies
    Verified LEO
    I had a Kel-Tec .40 and it was the biggest POS I have ever owned. It would only cycle ball ammo and was like shooting a cannon in your hand. Its the only gun I have ever got rid of. I traded it in on a S&W 642 .38 hammerless.
    The S&W is a great gun but you have to get bigger grips for it to shot the +p ammo.
    "And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway", Buford T. Justice

#1 Rule in Police: Sometimes its easier to ask Forgiveness than it is to ask Permission

No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtbear111 View Post
    Carried a SW 649 shrouded hammer as backup. Common enough to see a Trooper with hands in the coat pocket. A 38 revolver will cycle in a coat pocket if needed, where an auto probably will not. Where my backup holster was? Secret.
    Heh, now everyone will know why my hand is in my pocket all the time
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Vendetta View Post
    I had a Kel-Tec .40 and it was the biggest POS I have ever owned. It would only cycle ball ammo and was like shooting a cannon in your hand. Its the only gun I have ever got rid of. I traded it in on a S&W 642 .38 hammerless.
    The S&W is a great gun but you have to get bigger grips for it to shot the +p ammo.

Must be those "Limp Wrists" of yours!

I had the P-40 and I never had a problem with it cycling any type of ammo, though it did kick like a mule. If I fired more than a couple of magazines, my hand went numb! The trigger pull was horrible.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Heh, now everyone will know why my hand is in my pocket all the time
    He was talking about his jacket pocket, not his pants pocket.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

RH230 is offline Rookie

new BUG

I know this wasn't one of your proposed options, but what about a baby glock?

I carry a Glock 22 on duty, Glock 27 BUG..

Same caliber, 27 will take the 22 mags

aviator090 is offline Banned
    I am with RH230 , Glock, Keep it simple stupid... easy weapon , same trigger pull each time, and no hammer or safety to mess with.. think about it , it is your holy shit weapon, carry same caliber as your primary too..

Cochese is offline The Grand Royal
    Verified LEO
    I have a P3AT and I like it. It was a challenge to shoot because I have big hands but I stippled the grip and it's not bad at all now. I shot a possible on our OD course last month with it!

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    Yeah, I can control the P3AT much better than my P32 - Not sure why, because the p3at isn't that much larger. I may get one, but since the PD's around here are making you qualify on 25-yard targets with backup weapons just like with primary weapingI may opt for a Kahr 9 or something. My wife just bought a K9 and I like

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

spcwes is offline Wookie!!!!
    Verified LEO
    Kel Tec has come a long way in terms of reliability and I know more than a few officers that carry them. Nothing wrong with having an extra bullet launching platform on your person.

When the airlight pistols from S&W came out and I got one I don't think I will ever looked back. I carry the S&W 442 as a back up and off duty when I feel like walking light.

The weapons is linked here:
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...-1&isFirearm=Y

I carry either the Cor-Bon ammo 110gr +p DPX (Possibly the best load offered for a 38spl +p period) or the Cor-Bon 100gr +p PowerBall ( possibly the 2nd best round in a 38spl period).

Both these loads come out a short barreled weapon at amazing speed with very light recoil and offer over 12" of penetration into meat. Exactly what you need to calm an attacker down.
    STOP RESISTING!!!!

For he is God's servant to do you good, but if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

The opinions expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions of my Agency or my Agency Heads.

Pedro56 is offline Englewood Ranger/Infidel Extraordinaire
    Verified LEO
    Not a fan of Kel Tec or revolvers, I would go for the Smith though. As far as a backup gun I pick from either a P245 by Sig or my XD45 Compact.
    http://www.lawenforcementforums.com/forums/signaturepics/sigpic763_2.gif

"I am the guy that keeps Mister Dead in his pocket." -'Mad' Max Rockatansky

"An Englewood Ranger is no stranger to Danger.." -Unk

Good Night Chesty Where Ever You Are.

A Good Friend will bail you out of jail, but a true friend will be sitting next to you in the cell saying, "That was Awesome."

God Made Police Men so Fireman Would Have Heroes.

Cochese is offline The Grand Royal
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by spcwes View Post
    Kel Tec has come a long way in terms of reliability and I know more than a few officers that carry them. Nothing wrong with having an extra bullet launching platform on your person.

When the airlight pistols from S&W came out and I got one I don't think I will ever looked back. I carry the S&W 442 as a back up and off duty when I feel like walking light.

The weapons is linked here:
    http://www.smith-wesson.com/webapp/w...-1&isFirearm=Y

I carry either the Cor-Bon ammo 110gr +p DPX (Possibly the best load offered for a 38spl +p period) or the Cor-Bon 100gr +p PowerBall ( possibly the 2nd best round in a 38spl period).

Both these loads come out a short barreled weapon at amazing speed with very light recoil and offer over 12" of penetration into meat. Exactly what you need to calm an attacker down.
    Long time no see! Where did your LE tag go?

RH230 is offline Rookie
    Part of this conversation, for me at least, comes down to definitions. A backup gun in my view is the first option after a primary weapon is out of the picture. Since my primary is a Glock 22, my backup is a Glock 27.
    That said, I also have a 'hideout' weapon. This is truly a last-ditch option (ok, perhaps the knife is last ditch); in this case my hideout is a Kel-Tec P3AT .380. Not very accurate, not a lot of power, but given it's intended function its better than the alternatives. I think 7 rounds of .380 in the belly button will surely sting a bit.

LawnMM is offline Oppressor of Crackheads
    I like my 642 but as some have said you have to consider its application. I refer to it as my "oh shit" gun. To be used if my primary jams or is taken from me. Its small, and its light, but you can't hit the broad side of a barn outside about 10 feet. I don't spend a lot of time trying to make accurate hits at distance because the trigger pull is heavy and DAO. It just isn't an accurate distance gun. Its for up close and personal "oh shit" situations.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    In a little experiment, I have proved that a 442 or 642 can make a headshot at 25 yards.

It's all about the sight picture and trigger staging - a lost art on the revolver.

Those little guns are capable of as much accuracy as the shooter is.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    In a little experiment, I have proved that a 442 or 642 can make a headshot at 25 yards.

It's all about the sight picture and trigger staging - a lost art on the revolver.

Those little guns are capable of as much accuracy as the shooter is.
    You'd have to stage the shit out of it, thats for sure. Its the only revolver I own and honestly I'd never even try shooting at something as small as a head at 25 yards. You might be able to pull that off at the range but I doubt its gonna be feasible if you're being shot at. I could be wrong though.

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by RH230 View Post
    I know this wasn't one of your proposed options, but what about a baby glock?

I carry a Glock 22 on duty, Glock 27 BUG..

Same caliber, 27 will take the 22 mags

I have a Glock 27 in an ankle holster, now, to supplement by Glock 23 duty rig. I like the fact that it shoots the .40 and I can use the same mags, but it is like wearing an anchor. I am constantly adjusting it and it feels heavy all day.

Where do you carry your 27?

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by LawnMM View Post
    You'd have to stage the shit out of it, thats for sure. Its the only revolver I own and honestly I'd never even try shooting at something as small as a head at 25 yards. You might be able to pull that off at the range but I doubt its gonna be feasible if you're being shot at. I could be wrong though.
    Give it a try, I think you'll be surprised.

Smith and Wesson revolvers are easily staged, you can feel the notch before the sear releases.
    I'm your huckleberry...

I need to buy some snap caps for dry fire practice with that thing.

deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by snuffy2202 View Post
    Thanks, guys. Anybody have the Kel- Tech?
    I do have one. I like it for carry in hot weather when when wearing shorts and don't have much on to conceal a weapon. The belt clip option is great. I often put that little guy in the back waistband of my pants without a holster.

I do recommend ball ammo. I have had it jam a few times. I'm not sure if it's a mag spring issue, but a few rounds have bit on the ramp when cycling.

I had a P32 before and upgraded to the 380 after selling it. I never had one problem with the 32, just wanted the bigger round.
    I'm not ruining your life, you are, and I'm just going to write a short story about it.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by LawnMM View Post
    I need to buy some snap caps for dry fire practice with that thing.

It is perfectly safe to dry-fire a Smith without snap caps, so save your cash for ammo
    I'm your huckleberry...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information