Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
    snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO

Can't decide on new backup gun.

I am looking to purchase a new backup gun. I'm thinking of either a .38 S&W Model 642 or a Kel-Tech P-3AT .380.

Anybody have ideas about which one I should buy?

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I vote for the .38

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

narcodog is offline Rookie
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    38, won't jam, small easy to hide. Get some +p and shoot away.

Verified LEO
    Thanks, guys. Anybody have the Kel- Tech?

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Don't have one but I have looked at them a good bit. I love the almost zero weight. I have heard that is a good idea to only shoot ball ammo out of the Keltec. I like the .38 for the same reasons as narodog. You can spend a little more and get a feather weight S&W. They are the bomb. If I ever buy on of them I will get two. One for my wife.

http://www.lawmens.com/cgi-bin/lawmens/sw162810
    Last edited by Five-0; 05-15-08 at 11:20 AM.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I carry a Smith 442.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

LawnMM is offline Oppressor of Crackheads
    Another vote for the 642...I have one and its a great BUG. I wear mine in an ankle rig on duty and I've been in several footchases with it and I don't even notice that its on my leg.

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    I got the Smith 340PD and love it and it shoots magnums if you have the grip.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    12 oz .357 mag......damn

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    you bet with that little grip a real punisher on both ends

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by snuffy2202 View Post
    Thanks, guys. Anybody have the Kel- Tech?
    I had one and although really small and light...it was too darn small for my hands and uncomfortable to shoot. But that is just me...not an expert by any means.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Verified LEO
    Thanks, guys. I had my mind on the 642 .38 , but then some of my friends had the Kel-Tech, so I was wondering about it. I never shot one, but held it in my hand and didn't like it. I am definitely going with the .38.

Thanks, Five-O, for the website! I will order it from them if the gunshow doesn't pan out.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    12 ga stuffed in your sock.

Seriously. I also vote for the .38. (or revolver of choice) I carry a Glock on duty and would opt for a sub compact of the same make but it's a little out of my range. A revolver is cheaper and just as dependable. There are folks who would argue that point but it's just my opinion. A revolver is what I'm looking for also.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

hybrid is offline Corporal
    I carry a Kel-Tec .32 on my ankle. It's small and you won't really notice it's there, but i'd probably prefer the revolver. the Kel-Tec is a bitch to shoot. Such a long trigger pull and not too accurate cause it's so small. Either one really, but I think i'm about to go get me a small revolver to replace the Kel-tec......wanna buy it?? j/k

Verified LEO
    I have a Glock 27 in an ankle holster, now, to supplement by Glock 23 duty rig. I like the fact that it shoots the .40 and I can use the same mags, but it is like wearing an anchor. I am constantly adjusting it and it feels heavy all day.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by snuffy2202 View Post
    I have a Glock 27 in an ankle holster, now, to supplement by Glock 23 duty rig. I like the fact that it shoots the .40 and I can use the same mags, but it is like wearing an anchor. I am constantly adjusting it and it feels heavy all day.
    One of my partners wears it strapped to his vest under his left arm. He says he doesn't even notice it. I didn't know he had till he showed me.

NCC1701 is offline Meat Popsicle
    If those are your choices I would get the .38.
    I used to carry a KT P32 but it is not authorized at my dept so I traded it. It was a reliable gun though and I am sure the 380 is no slouch but with the revolver there would be NO worries.
    I don't like repeat offenders I like DEAD offenders-
    Ted Nugent

Make the world a better place....punch a hippie in the face!

Former member of Cortinian Liberation Front and the JSA MACHATOC.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The .380 gives up quite a bit to the .38 if you carry the new New York PD load - Speer Gold Dot Short Barrel 135 grain +P.

Real stomper of a round out of a little pop gun, designed to make velocity from a short barrel and not give you a basketball size flash.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Kel Tec just came out with a new single stack 8-shot 9mm, the PF-9. I had a Kel-Tec .40 that I used to carry for back-up, but the .40 in such a small package was just plain brutal. I'm gonna check out the PF-9. The great thing about them is that you can order a small spring clip that attaches to the side of the pistol, so you can slip it down your waist band or attach it to your vest.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    Carried a SW 649 shrouded hammer as backup. Common enough to see a Trooper with hands in the coat pocket. A 38 revolver will cycle in a coat pocket if needed, where an auto probably will not. Where my backup holster was? Secret.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information