Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Glock 32

Ace
    Ace is offline haud pacis pro scelestus
    Verified LEO

Glock 32

Does anybody have any experience with Glock's .357 sig? I was considering purchasing the 32 for a concealed carry/ backcountry gun. I know that anything short of a .44 magnum won't be 100% effective against the brown bear up here, but it looks like ballistically it should at least hold up to a .357 magnum be somewhat effective. Any opinions/experience?
    RIP Sarah Noll~11-8-87 to 4-17-08

k-9max is offline K9 Officer
    Verified LEO
    Hell, if you need it for bears, you probably should be getting prices for a cannon or something similar
    YEAH, IM THE BERRIES, AND CHERRIES IN YOUR REAR VIEW MIRROR.

Handle every stressful situation like a dog.
    Eat it, Play with it, or piss on it, and walk away!

As smart as man is, we haven't been able to invent a machine that can smell drugs or tell us where a person has walked, Dogs are sophisticated investigative tools!

Ace
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by k-9max View Post
    Hell, if you need it for bears, you probably should be getting prices for a cannon or something similar
    lol yeah my little bro carries a S&W .500, but I want something that can adequately be used for both. I just can't afford two guns right now...

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    Does anybody have any experience with Glock's .357 sig? I was considering purchasing the 32 for a concealed carry/ backcountry gun. I know that anything short of a .44 magnum won't be 100% effective against the brown bear up here, but it looks like ballistically it should at least hold up to a .357 magnum be somewhat effective. Any opinions/experience?
    I've got quite a few rounds out of a 32.

However, if you are looking for a semi-auto for bear protection and insist on a Glock, I'd suggest a Glock 20.

That said, if you do stick with the Glock 32 for such purposes, keep in mind that the best load for bear is VERY hard cast lead, and that Glocks do not shoot lead bullets very long before they kaboom.

Corbon does make a DPX load that is comprised of entirely copper, which may work well.

To kill a bear, you need deep deep penetration - hollowpoints of the typical variety are near useless.

My bear gun is a .357 revolver loaded with Grizzly Cartridge 180 grain wide flat nose gas checked hard lead bullets.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

213th is offline Solipsist
    decided to swing in and say hi again I see.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Ace
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    I've got quite a few rounds out of a 32.

However, if you are looking for a semi-auto for bear protection and insist on a Glock, I'd suggest a Glock 20.

That said, if you do stick with the Glock 32 for such purposes, keep in mind that the best load for bear is VERY hard cast lead, and that Glocks do not shoot lead bullets very long before they kaboom.

Corbon does make a DPX load that is comprised of entirely copper, which may work well.

To kill a bear, you need deep deep penetration - hollowpoints of the typical variety are near useless.

My bear gun is a .357 revolver loaded with Grizzly Cartridge 180 grain wide flat nose gas checked hard lead bullets.
    That makes sense because of all the muscle and bone structure. I like the 10 mm round, but I wanted to stick with something I could get in a compact or subcompact frame. Thanks for the info...

[EDIT] I just saw on the webpage they have a Glock 29, 10 mm subcompact...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    That makes sense because of all the muscle and bone structure. I like the 10 mm round, but I wanted to stick with something I could get in a compact or subcompact frame. Thanks for the info...

[EDIT] I just saw on the webpage they have a Glock 29, 10 mm subcompact...
    If you do go with the 32, check out the DPX stuff from Corbon.

It's a little light for my tastes on a large animal, but it sounds like you recognize the limitations.

For the 10mm, they make a "Hunter" bullet that is heavy enough and fast enough to achieve what you are looking for.

https://www.dakotaammo.net/shop/inde...3d92d1a4488cb7

You'll have to call them to find out if it is a lead bullet or a brass jacket over a lead bullet.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Strike that, I called them for you...

Their 10mm "Hunter" comes in two flavors.

1. 180 Grain Bonded Core Soft Point

2. 200 Grain Round Nose Penetrator

You want number 2, it is a hard lead bullet encapsulated with a hard copper jacket. It's designed to punch through and break bone.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Ace
    Verified LEO
    Strike that, I called them for you...

Their 10mm "Hunter" comes in two flavors.

1. 180 Grain Bonded Core Soft Point

2. 200 Grain Round Nose Penetrator

You want number 2, it is a hard lead bullet encapsulated with a hard copper jacket. It's designed to punch through and break bone.
    Excellent! Thanks for the info. That in the compact frame sounds like just what I'm looking for. The 562 ftlbs sounds really good. I really appreciate the feedback, thanks...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    No prob.

Realize the energy and velocity figures are from a full sized Glock 20, but Corbon is usually good even out of a slightly shorter barrel.

They underestimate their velocity figures.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Ace
    Verified LEO
    No prob.

Realize the energy and velocity figures are from a full sized Glock 20, but Corbon is usually good even out of a slightly shorter barrel.

They underestimate their velocity figures.
    Okay that makes sense. I'll let you know when/ if I get it...

GhostCop is offline Sergeant
    Here is the one I just bought for a bear gun in Grizzly country. I guess any gun is better than no gun but I feel you are seriously undergunned taking on a grizzly with anything less than 1000 ft lbs of energy at the muzzle. A .44 mag with a 240 grain solid produces in the neighborhood of 1100 Ft Lbs. Here was my choice:

4" Taurus Tracker in .44 Magnum. Muzzle is ported. Gun weighs in at 34 ounces. Recoil is not too shaby with the porting. Its also double action

I carry this in Grizzly country when I bow hunt. Any weapon you choose, strongly consider how you carry it. As you well know living in Alaska, a Griz can out run a quarter horse in 50 yards. Getting it out can be very difficult before they are on you. Thats why muzzle energy is so important. You probably wont get more than one or two off. That is if you see it coming.
    "Any community's arm of force - military, police, security - needs people in it who can do necessary evil, and yet not be made evil by it. To do only the necessary and no more. To constantly question the assumptions, to stop the slide into atrocity."

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    This shaky ole geezer prefers to let the bear have my fish or lunch. But if he wants me or my escape route; then I prefer a full-magazine 12 ga Winchester 1300, Rem 870, or my Benelli Super 90 with day-glow slug sights and loaded with 1 oz slugs.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

Thread Information