Welcome to the APBWeb.
    PCSD722 is offline Rookie

Handgun question

I am looking at getting another handgun to carry off-duty. I looked at the S&W M&P9mm picked it up and it felt really good, as comfortable as my Sig 226. Has anybody here fired one of the M&P 9mm? If so how is this gun? Good, bad, fair?

Thanks
    Stay safe, let's all go home.

Donut Aficionado is offline The Hillbilly Warlord
    Verified LEO
    I loved the M&P9 so much I went out and got the M&P45 the next week. I will never feel the need to carry a GLOCK again.
    Thats my .02 though, evaluate for yourself, I dont think you'll be disappointed.
    Insert witty comment and disclaimer here.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Never carry a gun who's caliber doesn't at least start with a ".4"
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

jmiahhenry is offline Rookie
    I liked the M&P but I have to agree get a .40. I am also very biased for the springfield XD. Of the 100+ guns my dad and I have it is both of our favorite handguns. I went with the service size .40 in two tone...but I like the M&P as well.

good luck hunting down a new "strap"
    J-Miah

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by PCSD722 View Post
    I am looking at getting another handgun to carry off-duty. I looked at the S&W M&P9mm picked it up and it felt really good, as comfortable as my Sig 226. Has anybody here fired one of the M&P 9mm? If so how is this gun? Good, bad, fair?

Thanks
    One of our authors for O/R tested this weapon and had very bad reviews on it. I have not shot it myself but he said it malfunctioned several times.

Why not get an airlite? I have one and love it. Great size for off duty carry.

I didnt know that the M&P also came in .357 sig, I may go with a full size frame for me and the small frame M&P9 for my (she insists I call her "better half"). The springfield is also filtering into my list of choices. If there is one choice I dont mind doing research on it is firearms, I get to shoot a lot and I can tell my "better half" that it is important research. Plus I get to buy guns.

Our agency changed from the .40 to the .357, the state police also changed from the .40 to the .45, the main reason was less than desireable results with the .40. If I go with the .357 sig I can carry the same ammo as My duty weapon.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The Springfield/Croatian gun is turning out to be a sweet little shooter.

The XD line has as many variants as you might need, should you wish to avoid the Glocks.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

baumshoe is offline Baumshoe Law Enforcement Supply
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Authorized Vendor
    Our department switched to the XD .45 cal last year and love them. Swicthed from Glock .40. Our Lt. who fantasizes about Glocks even likes the XD better..Would recommend this gun.

Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    The Springfield/Croatian gun is turning out to be a sweet little shooter.

The XD line has as many variants as you might need, should you wish to avoid the Glocks.

AITG is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    The trigger on the XD definitely feels smoother than a Glock, but I've shot two of them and both misfired in the first two mags. One was a 45, the other a 9 mm. Both had light primer strikes.
    A gun that goes click instead of bang isn't a good thing.
    If I wanted people to like me I'd be a fireman.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AITG View Post
    The trigger on the XD definitely feels smoother than a Glock, but I've shot two of them and both misfired in the first two mags. One was a 45, the other a 9 mm. Both had light primer strikes.
    A gun that goes click instead of bang isn't a good thing.
    I have not had similar experiences. Were the ammunition brands the same?

The XD is a striker system, so that is surprising.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

AITG is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    +1 on being surprised - I generally prefer striker fired guns. The 45 was loaded with WWB, the 9 was CCI Blazer. I don't normally shoot 45, so I have no firsthand knowledge of WWB in that caliber.
    OTOH, I've shot somewhere around 12,000 rounds of Blazer with exactly two FTFs. One in a Glock, the other in the XD.
    If I wanted people to like me I'd be a fireman.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by AITG View Post
    +1 on being surprised - I generally prefer striker fired guns. The 45 was loaded with WWB, the 9 was CCI Blazer. I don't normally shoot 45, so I have no firsthand knowledge of WWB in that caliber.
    OTOH, I've shot somewhere around 12,000 rounds of Blazer with exactly two FTFs. One in a Glock, the other in the XD.
    I've had a boatload of FTF with Brass Blazer, something about the primers.

WWB should not present a problem though.

Interesting!
    I'm your huckleberry...

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    Had a chronic light primer hit problem with a Glock 20 10mm. About 3 of 10 would fail to fire, half would fire if hit again. Any facory ammo or reloads -same. Sent it to Glock three times, problem continued. The 2nd time back to Glock they suggested I use only Federal ammo. Still same problem. Wolff does not make an extra power striker spring. On the 3rd return I told Glock that a gun only suitable for one brand of ammo is nothing but a waste of time and money. Fix or replace. I made reference to handoads showing no improvement. So the gun came back from Glock with all the latet updates and a very lawyerly note that my warranty was void for using handloads.

Solution was found at the Stanwood Ace Hardware nuts and bolts aisle where I found the "select-a-spring" box. The owner helped me find and fit the same size striker spring but heavier gauge. Problem solved. Screw Glock and their warranty.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

Donut Aficionado is offline The Hillbilly Warlord
    Verified LEO
    I must have gotten a good M&P9, even on the S&W Forums site people complain about various problems, I have only put about 500 rounds through the gun but I have only have one limp wrist induced stove pipe, I only shoot WWB or magtech, blazers gave me issues with other guns long ago and I just never went back to see if they have improved.

It would seem that the most complained about problem is with broken strikers, I'll order a new one to keep handy because the wait seems a little long for a new one.

I will have to try out a XD soon.
    Insert witty comment and disclaimer here.

Thread Information