Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Resident Smart Ass is offline I ASK THE QUESTIONS AROUND HERE
    Verified LEO

Remington M700P Light Tactical Rifle in .308 Winchester

Anyone have one or know who has one?

Pro's and cons.

Thinking about getting one for fun...prob. with a bushnell scope
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

You can't avoid gossip & rude words from
    people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)
    https://twitter.com/RESIDENTSMARTAS

A PINT OF SWEAT SAVES A GALLON OF BLOOD ~ PATTON

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Got one. Shoots like a dream.

You can get a lot better glass than Bushnell for not a lot more money.

Check out www.swfa.com for optics.

I had work done on it, but even out of the box the LTR is a good gun.

Cons? It's heavy, but it is supposed to be.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    This would probably be a good question for Diesel to answer when he is on the the boards. He is a lot like Maclean, if he doesn't own a gun he has probably shot it or knows someone that owns it. Good optics site there Maclean.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    This would probably be a good question for Diesel to answer when he is on the the boards. He is a lot like Maclean, if he doesn't own a gun he has probably shot it or knows someone that owns it. Good optics site there Maclean.
    Thanks - Diesel is going to know more about these types of guns than I do. I got into long range as a hobby, and because I saw the utility in having the ability.

My professional interests still fall into CQB, and most of my weapons demonstrate it

Still, I can manage to hit knockdowns at 675 yards when the wind doesn't screw me up.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Diesel is a sniper. I'll toot his horn for him, the man can shoot. Prone or moving I would not want him shooting at me.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Diesel is a sniper. I'll toot his horn for him, the man can shoot. Prone or moving I would not want him shooting at me.
    Me either.

Me, I'm more of a close and fast guy. I have lots of respect for marksmen and observers.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Got one. Shoots like a dream.

You can get a lot better glass than Bushnell for not a lot more money.

Check out www.swfa.com for optics.

I had work done on it, but even out of the box the LTR is a good gun.

Cons? It's heavy, but it is supposed to be.

Ok thanks.

I was actually thinking about the Leupold for the optics
    Don't you just hate it when someone's balls are hidden so well, they can't seem to find it themselves ~ RSA

people. You can't please everybody. But remember, they wouldn't bother if you meant nothing.

FOLLOW RSA ON TWITTER (IF YOU'RE GOING TO FOLLOW ME, PLEASE SEND ME A MESSAGE ON HERE WITH YOUR O/R USERNAME AND TWEET USERNAME SO I'LL KNOW WHO I'M ACCEPTING OTHERWISE YOU WILL NOT BE ACCEPTED!)

Verified LEO
    Me either.

Me, I'm more of a close and fast guy. I have lots of respect for marksmen and observers.

So am I and I also have lots of respect for marksmen and observers. One the guys in my unit was a former sniper with the Marine Recon and he's got me into sniping as a hobby.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass View Post
    Ok thanks.

I was actually thinking about the Leupold for the optics
    Loopy used to be the gold standard.

For not a lot of money, you can get the same quality out of other brands.

Check out the Super Sniper scopes at swfa - they were originally made by Tasco, but now are made only for swfa. I got one, and I am quite pleased with the way it turned out. I am not used to seeing glass this good on a $400 scope.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Verified LEO
    Loopy used to be the gold standard.

For not a lot of money, you can get the same quality out of other brands.

Check out the Super Sniper scopes at swfa - they were originally made by Tasco, but now are made only for swfa. I got one, and I am quite pleased with the way it turned out. I am not used to seeing glass this good on a $400 scope.
    ok cool thanks!

I'm also looking for scope with mil-dot

I also heard Nikon's are not bad either..inexpensive and still good..what do you think?

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    My SS has a standard Mil-Dot.

I don't know anything at all about Nikon.

If I had unlimited money, my choices would be:

1. Nightforce
    2. Loopy
    3. S&B

In roughly that order.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Verified LEO
    My SS has a standard Mil-Dot.

I don't know anything at all about Nikon.

If I had unlimited money, my choices would be:

1. Nightforce
    2. Loopy
    3. S&B

In roughly that order.
    ok thanks..yeah the money thing can make a huge difference

Vendetta is offline Today, We are All Hokies
    Verified LEO
    I have a 4x12 Nikon Monarch on my Ruger .308 and love it. But i have heard the Buckmaster series is shit
    "And don't go home, and don't go to eat, and don't play with yourself. It wouldn't look nice on my highway", Buford T. Justice

#1 Rule in Police: Sometimes its easier to ask Forgiveness than it is to ask Permission

No one knows what it's like
    To be the bad man
    To be the sad man
    Behind blue eyes

The91Bravo is offline Deputy Sheriff
    I have a contact (Leupold's LE/DoD rep) that just got me the Leu MK4 M3 with Tactical Milling Reticle and Front Focal Plane for $925 shipped.

That is the scope used on my friends weps in 5th GRP SOTIC (Sniper Committee) on their M24

My M-24 will be done Tuesday and I should be able to take it home.

Got a Rem700 Long Action, Dave put a Shilen No7 Coutour Heavy Barrel, H-S Precision PST013 stock with adj Butt and Cheek, Harris Bi-pod, and duracoated.

My bud machined all the metal to correct tolerances and the whole gun has $2200 in it. If I have to buy a kidney or something, I can sell it for about $6000-7000.

Test fired it last Monday (a week ago) and zeroed at 200. All rounds were falling within the 3/4 inch bolt head on the iron maiden. We called and made head shots at 500 and center mass (index card sized) at 625. The wep shoots better than me.

I will post pics probably Tues PM.

You cannot go wrong with a Rem700

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by The91Bravo View Post
    I have a contact (Leupold's LE/DoD rep) that just got me the Leu MK4 M3 with Tactical Milling Reticle and Front Focal Plane for $925 shipped.

That is the scope used on my friends weps in 5th GRP SOTIC (Sniper Committee) on their M24

My M-24 will be done Tuesday and I should be able to take it home.

Got a Rem700 Long Action, Dave put a Shilen No7 Coutour Heavy Barrel, H-S Precision PST013 stock with adj Butt and Cheek, Harris Bi-pod, and duracoated.

My bud machined all the metal to correct tolerances and the whole gun has $2200 in it. If I have to buy a kidney or something, I can sell it for about $6000-7000.

Test fired it last Monday (a week ago) and zeroed at 200. All rounds were falling within the 3/4 inch bolt head on the iron maiden. We called and made head shots at 500 and center mass (index card sized) at 625. The wep shoots better than me.

I will post pics probably Tues PM.

You cannot go wrong with a Rem700

sweet. that's what my co-worker who's was a sniper with Marine recon. told me the same thing

thanks for the info..looking forward to the pics

narcodog is offline Rookie
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I have wood stocked 700 that I have had for about twenty years it still shots sub MOA, with a Leopold. I wouldn't buy anything else. Folks spend a lot of $$$ for a long gun that shoots better than they ever will be. On the several training sessions that I have attended I have seen it. IMHO
    "A Knights Oath
    A Knight is sworn to valor; His Heart only knows virtue; His Blade defends the helpless; His Might upholds the weak; His Words speak only the truth; His Wrath undoes the wicked"

Aspire to Inspire

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by narcodog View Post
    I have wood stocked 700 that I have had for about twenty years it still shots sub MOA, with a Leopold. I wouldn't buy anything else. Folks spend a lot of $$$ for a long gun that shoots better than they ever will be. On the several training sessions that I have attended I have seen it. IMHO
    I agree with one caveat - when your range gets longer, the little errors in an otherwise great rifle are magnified.

In principle, however, you are correct.

The way I tell the difference is to have the shooter tell me where his shot went.
    I'm your huckleberry...

narcodog is offline Rookie
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I agree with one caveat - when your range gets longer, the little errors in an otherwise great rifle are magnified.

In principle, however, you are correct.

The way I tell the difference is to have the shooter tell me where his shot went.
    You are so right about the magnification but the average shot taken by a counter sniper is 76 yards that the average and some of the better C/S's don't need a $2000.00 plus weapon. Now if one was shooting in competition or is a military shooter than the difference would be worth the $$$.

A shooter should always be taught to call their shots, they need to know where that shot went when the trigger was squeezed.
    "A Knights Oath
    A Knight is sworn to valor; His Heart only knows virtue; His Blade defends the helpless; His Might upholds the weak; His Words speak only the truth; His Wrath undoes the wicked"

Aspire to Inspire

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by narcodog View Post

A shooter should always be taught to call their shots, they need to know where that shot went when the trigger was squeezed.
    I should have been more clear

The way I tell the difference between a poser with a $2000 rifle and a shooter is to have them call their shot.

Sorry for the confusion - I get a little right brained when I type out thoughts.
    I'm your huckleberry...

GhostCop is offline Sergeant
    Cant go wrong with a Remmy 700 LTR. Shoot good right out of the box and can be made better with some minor work.

Another rifle that will shoot with extreme accuracy is the FN Patrol Rifle. Its built around a Winchester Model 70 Action and they are excellant out of the box shooters. They come factory with a bedded action, hard chrome plated bore, recessed target crown and a McMillian stock. Barrels are free floated. All for under $1500 dollars.

The most surprising Tactical Rifle I have shot recently was the Savage Tactical. Savage has come a long way. Although heavy and bulky, the Savage is capable of shooting little tiny groups and once you get use to the two stage feel of the accu trigger, its actually kind of nice.

My top choice for scopes would be a Night Force but prepare yourself to put out as much $$$ or more for the glass as you did the rifle. Leupold, especially the Mark IV series is hard to beat. The sleeper scope that rarely gets mentioned is the Burris XTR Extreme Tactical scope. It has very high end glass (comperable to the Black Diamond and Signature series) and can be had for a reasonable price. I have seen several topping Armalite AR50's and they hold up extremely well. Warranty is every bit as good as Leupolds as well.

If your looking at the Nikon, stick to the Monarch series although Nikon has done nothing to impress me. The glass is clear but I have seen too many with problems ( I work part time in the hunting department of Sportsmans Warehouse).
    "Any community's arm of force - military, police, security - needs people in it who can do necessary evil, and yet not be made evil by it. To do only the necessary and no more. To constantly question the assumptions, to stop the slide into atrocity."

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information