Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: New BUG

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

New BUG

Got my last check from my old PD. Two weeks of work, plus vacation, sick, etc. $5800

Sold my old BUG. My new PD requires we carry one. I am happy to oblige. Just picked her up today. S&W Airweight snubby in .38 (+P) Walked out the door with it brand new for about $400. I don't even know if I got a good deal because I know VERY little of the revolver market/pricing, etc. Who cares. I was happy, and I love the feeling of getting home with a new gun. Got some Gold Dot +Ps to go with it.

I'll get some better pics later...left the digital camera at a friend's house. Crappy cell phone pic will suffice for now.

"If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I likey. I have given serious thought to getting one of those myself. Well two actually. One for me and one for the wife. Personally I would have gone hammerless.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

drunkhunter is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I held off buying a 642 for years because "It's a lot of money for five shots". I finally broke down and bought one. I'm very happy that I did so. It's a great deep cover gun.

Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    So far I'm loving it. I am a 100% supporter of HOLSTERING weapons at all times when working in an official capacity or for carrying for long periods. This baby, however, fits into any jeans or jacket pocket for those quick trips to the store when you're in sweats, etc. Something like a Glock 27 is too fat to do that. While this thing's cylinder is bulky, the rest of the gun is very thin. All that prints is the cylinder bulge. The Glock, for example, is fat all over, and prints VERY clearly through a pocket, and you can discern a "gun" type shape.

I also thought about going hammerless or shrouded hammer. I dunno...I just like the old school look of an exposed hammer I guess.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Here's another cell phone pic to show the relative size of the gun. And while it is only 5 shots, they are 5 shots that are almost impervious to malfunctions. Point and shoot, and bad guy is going to have five rounds of .38+P in his gut, because let's face it. If I'm shooting someone with it, they are close enough to have just taken my primary, or they're on top of me and preventing me from drawing my primary. If it's the latter case, I'm shoving the muzzle into his torso for five contact shots as fast as I can pull the trigger, which is a no no for lots of semi-autos. That's all I'm going to care about if the day has gotten so bad that I'm pulling my BUG out on duty.

Darin is offline I'm sooooo gonna score
    Verified LEO
    You got paid for your sick time???? Lucky....I'll "lose" about 280 hours of sick time.

I'll get 198 hours of vacation tho.....M4 here I come!!!!

I like the revolver. I bet it's a handful with +P.

Darin is offline I'm sooooo gonna score
    Verified LEO
    BTW....where do you carry it as a BUG?

Ender is offline Three Sheets...
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I bought a 642 off OXCOPS a while back. Neat little gun...fits into any pocket and is truly a 'go anywhere' piece.

The only complain I have is that I had to sanitize it after buying it from OX.
    --

Ender

"And if the band you're in starts playing different tunes, I'll see you on the dark side of the moon..."

LawnMM is offline Oppressor of Crackheads
    Nice weapon dude. I have the hammerless version and love it. Been through several foot chases with it and haven't had issues with it moving around.

Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Lawn, you are actually one of my influences on the purchase. I remembered you posting about it a while back and looked into them over a semi-auto.

And Darin, I got paid for half my sick time, which came out to about 115 hours, plus a couple hundred vacation hours. It would have been over six grand, but they deducted the couple hundred bucks I still owed on a gun loan balance.

depusm12 is offline Patrolman
    Verified LEO
    121Traffic

I'm assuming it's the Airweight version (lightweight allow frame). I got the 642 hammerless version . Waiting to go to the range and shoot it. I heard from lots of other buddies that it's the perfect carry/off duty gun. I got mine on sale for $399 out the door.
    James
    Dept of the Army Civilian Police
    "Loyalty above all else, except Honor"
    Never forget those who fell on 9/11/01
    S&W beats 4 Aces every time

Its a good carry gun, though I dunno if I'd call it fun to shoot. It kicks like a mule and its pretty inaccurate at distance, at least the DAO version. Could I shoot it better with practice, no doubt, its just kinda painful to shoot and the trigger weight is up there. So meh...its an oh shit gun anyway.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by LawnMM View Post
    Its a good carry gun, though I dunno if I'd call it fun to shoot. It kicks like a mule and its pretty inaccurate at distance, at least the DAO version. Could I shoot it better with practice, no doubt, its just kinda painful to shoot and the trigger weight is up there. So meh...its an oh shit gun anyway.
    I got it to carry off duty anyway especially during the summer here. I used to own a S&W model 60 and shot it pretty well.
    James

oldtrooper is offline Rookie
    I've been carrying a S&W 342 +P Jacketed both on and off duty for quite a while. It is completely hammerless. One important consideration is if that hammer spur grabs any cloth coming out of a pocket you're up S-Creek and behind the curve. We used to carry Model 60' and before that chief's specials but we always took the hammer out and ground it down smooth. A good part of the time I carry mine in a Galco ankle holster and it is so light I sometimes have to move my off leg over enough to feel it and make sure it has not fallen out.

It's not fun to shoot but it's not a target pistol either. It called a belly gun or a nose gun for good reason. It would be rare in the real world to use it much further that powder burn distance. If you are far enough away to try to cock it and use the sights you most likely will be far enough away to try to go find a bigger and better firearm.

Cutting the hammer down eliminates the chance of the spur catching on the cloth during the draw but it creates other problems. It collects lint like a bitch. Another point in favor of the hammerless versions are that if you have to fire it from a pocket when fully engaged with a perp at contact distance the hammer nose can grab the cloth as it goes forward and that's all folks.

Verified LEO
    Good points oldtrooper. LawnMM do you still have the factory rubber grips on yours?
    James

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO
    I also have a similar gun but mine is hammer less. You may want to check Bluegrass Holsters out for an off duty holster. I ordered one off of them and it is due here on Wednesday. I will let you know what I think about it.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Reca View Post
    I also have a similar gun but mine is hammer less. You may want to check Bluegrass Holsters out for an off duty holster. I ordered one off of them and it is due here on Wednesday. I will let you know what I think about it.
    Reca does yours look like this?

James

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO
    Mine is the 38 cal. Air Lite Titanium Looks just like that. I currently have an ankle rig for it and I can not wait to get my holster from bluegrass

Quote Originally Posted by depusm12 View Post
    Good points oldtrooper. LawnMM do you still have the factory rubber grips on yours?
    Yup. I thought about putting longer grips on so I could rest my pinky on something but again, its an oh shit gun. I want it to be small and light, not comfortable and big.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Reca View Post
    Mine is the 38 cal. Air Lite Titanium Looks just like that. I currently have an ankle rig for it and I can not wait to get my holster from bluegrass
    So you spent the bucks on the Ti version. It have the same kinda grips on it? I'm looking at getting the same type of grip but in checkered wood instead of the rubber.
    James

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information