Welcome to the APBWeb.
    luckyme is offline The bastard you love, the hero you hate
    Verified LEO

Long gun positions

I'm trying out some different courses of fire from other agenices. One for the FBI has you starting with the weapon in position 2 for one relay, then another has from position 5 which it says is high ready.
    They are not using them as prone, kneeling, etc., but using them as how the weapon is held.
    This is the first time I've heard of the different positions, anyone let me know what the rest of them are?

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO
    PM maclean he is an instructor

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by luckyme View Post
    I'm trying out some different courses of fire from other agenices. One for the FBI has you starting with the weapon in position 2 for one relay, then another has from position 5 which it says is high ready.
    They are not using them as prone, kneeling, etc., but using them as how the weapon is held.
    This is the first time I've heard of the different positions, anyone let me know what the rest of them are?
    You can number them or call them whatever you like really. I'm pretty sure only the Feds would come up with numbers for positions of muzzle.

As I recall, the FBI teaches 7 basic positions in their rifle program - they are:

1. Supported Prone 2. Unsupported Prone 3. Offhand 4. Sitting 5. Kneeling
    6. Standing Barricade 7. Kneeling Barricade

We call our primary muzzle position "ready gun" and use it for just about everything.

It really isn't anything different than you would do with your handgun while yelling at a suspect and not preparing to shoot them.

Rifle is slung, then placed in the "firing pocket" of your shoulder, off hand on handgrip or light switch or however you have it set up.

The barrel of the weapon is depressed, usually at or near 45 degrees to your body, so that the muzzle is pointed at good old safe dirt.

Your dominant eyeball is looking over the rear sight or optic at your threat.

Hopefully I didn't confuse the hell out of you, but if I did ask and I will try to clarify.

PS: If they teach anything that has to do with pointing your muzzle in the air as high ready, abandon it. (IMHO)
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Thread Information