Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
    Pinki is offline Sergeant
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by mack View Post
    Pinki, get another Glock, then your pink Glock will have a friend and won't get mad at you, then go to Cheapoair.com and find a reduced plane fare.

Hehe! You make some good sense, Mack!
    Arm the sheep!

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    I am jealous! Well, not of the pinkness lol........I am all girl, but just something about a gun gots to be black!

I sooooooo want to purchase my first......but not sure where or how.......something i plan on working on during my vacation tho
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Just KC View Post
    I am jealous! Well, not of the pinkness lol........I am all girl, but just something about a gun gots to be black!

I sooooooo want to purchase my first......but not sure where or how.......something i plan on working on during my vacation tho

I'm not sure how hard it is there in CA, but I imagine it's probably harder than here. I have a concealed carry permit though which allows me to buy as many as I want on it (otherwise we have to get a purchase permit for each gun which really isn't hard...it's only $5.00 and a week's wait). I hope you can get one soon!
    Arm the sheep!

Well I know i have to go through background check....and take some safety course....and pay some $50 and go through a waiting period........i think it is 2 weeks...not sure. Then i can come pick up what i want, or pick it out then......just after i buy it, wouldnt know anything about loading/upkeep/type of bullets to buy, etc. lol Just want to be a bit educated before buying anything......
    Last time i went, i was asked so many questions...i was just standing there like DUH and haven't a clue....
    ~Karie

"I used to care

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    KC, next time you go shooting, ask what make, model, caliber and type of rounds you are using? Did the range just load the weapons for you no questions asked? I would think that firearm safety course would be a great idea and perhaps they might be able to answer some of your questions.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Well I know i have to go through background check....and take some safety course....and pay some $50 and go through a waiting period........i think it is 2 weeks...not sure. Then i can come pick up what i want, or pick it out then......just after i buy it, wouldnt know anything about loading/upkeep/type of bullets to buy, etc. lol Just want to be a bit educated before buying anything......
    Last time i went, i was asked so many questions...i was just standing there like DUH and haven't a clue....
    If you can get a carry permit in CA, you either work for a law enforcement agency, contribute to someone's campaign, or are a wealthy movie star.

In Washington - you need to be: 1. 21 years old 2. Not a crook 3. Not a nut.

No training, no bullshit, pay your fee (around $55.)

Your permit MUST be issued within 30 days, and you CAN NOT be refused if you meet the eligibility requirements.

Once you have the permit, you can buy as many damn guns as you want, and there is no waiting period.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    If you can get a carry permit in CA, you either work for a law enforcement agency, contribute to someone's campaign, or are a wealthy movie star.
    ...and thats how effed up the state of CA is. Stupid Liberals. If some of them had their way, LE would be unarmed.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

Quote Originally Posted by CTR man View Post
    KC, next time you go shooting, ask what make, model, caliber and type of rounds you are using? Did the range just load the weapons for you no questions asked? I would think that firearm safety course would be a great idea and perhaps they might be able to answer some of your questions.
    I rented the gun there and they just handed me a box of bullets that went with it.......loaded it myself. I have found many gun safety classes for rifles, just none for handguns. I know a firearms instructor at work that has offered to train me.....but he and I work opposite schedules.......and opposite ends of the week.
    I like the glock....but do they fit you for the grip?
    ~Karie

"I used to care

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    What do you mean?
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I rented the gun there and they just handed me a box of bullets that went with it.......loaded it myself. I have found many gun safety classes for rifles, just none for handguns. I know a firearms instructor at work that has offered to train me.....but he and I work opposite schedules.......and opposite ends of the week.

It's best to try as many as you can to see which ones you like best although I really didnt do that for the revolver or the Springfield XD. With the Glock, I did try a friend's Glock 19 and really liked it. The range I go to is a private outdoor range, so there aren't gun rentals but all of the members are very nice and I've been able to try a lot of their guns.
    Arm the sheep!

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    That's one reason I dont feel I want to go back to Cali although I miss the weather and my family is there. I want to be able to defend myself, and I cant imagine having to go through life not being able to.

In Washington - you need to be: 1. 21 years old 2. Not a crook 3. Not a nut.

No training, no bullshit, pay your fee (around $55.)

Your permit MUST be issued within 30 days, and you CAN NOT be refused if you meet the eligibility requirements.

Once you have the permit, you can buy as many damn guns as you want, and there is no waiting period.

In NC some counties are harder to get them in than others (it depends on the Sheriff). Mine was easy at the time and after fulfilling the requirements (one day class, a fee -- I can't remember how much it was but around $100 I believe, background and fingerprinting), I got it in a week (well that week included the background!).
    Arm the sheep!

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinki View Post
    That's one reason I dont feel I want to go back to Cali although I miss the weather and my family is there. I want to be able to defend myself, and I cant imagine having to go through life not being able to.
    I can see that if you are going in to the Los Angeles area, You never know what some idiot gangbanger is going to pull. Some parts of SF bay area, too. East Palo Alto, Oakland, for starters. One reason I stay out of the big cities. The crime in the rest of the state doesn't appear to be as violent, although I do have guns in the house.

Not a LEO

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by CTR man View Post
    I can see that if you are going in to the Los Angeles area, You never know what some idiot gangbanger is going to pull. Some parts of SF bay area, too. East Palo Alto, Oakland, for starters. One reason I stay out of the big cities. The crime in the rest of the state doesn't appear to be as violent, although I do have guns in the house.
    You know...a little more than 2 years ago having a gun wasn't something I put a priority on, let alone carrying concealed. However, now I will not leave myself vulnerable again for any extended length of time. Maybe to go to visit California for a few days, but no extended amount a time (and I wont be alone while I'm there). I just won't. I'm 4'11" and 114 pounds and my bones are 4X weaker than they should be. I dont see myself surviving a bad encounter without assistance. I'll post a separate post about what happened to me.
    Arm the sheep!

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Ok, here's what happened to me. I have it posted on another site in my blog, so I'm just copying and pasting with a few minor edits so it makes sense in this context:

Some small details are abbreviated to make this short and sweet, but it was August two years ago, on a Saturday when I was putting trash in my car to take to the dump when a guy drove up my street and stopped where I was. He asked me if I knew someone by the name of Beckham. Now, there is a family with a BBQ establishment by the name of Beckham so I sort of laughed and said "there are no Beckhams on this street!" He said ok and started to leave, but then backed back to me and said "who does your yard?" I said "I do." He then left. I didn't think anything of it until the following Thursday night in the middle of what was left of a hurricane (at that time a bad storm), at 10:45 p.m., he shows up at my house, beating on my door. My dogs and I had been sleeping up until then (one German Shepherd, and two Chow mixes) but we woke with a start and my dogs started barking like crazy.
    I was not planning on opening the door, and I grabbed the phone but I did not dial it. He stopped banging after a while and I heard him get in his vehicle and I thought he was leaving but I saw the headlights come toward my place (he was driving on my grass!), so I opened the door and yelled "what do you want?" He said "I'm the guy that asked you about your yard -- are you single?" I screamed "I AM NOT INTERESTED." He did leave. I think now my dogs scared him away. I keep them in the house and they are mostly quiet and you wouldn't know I have them from just driving up. Anyway, I didn't know what to do. I wasn't sure if he was dangerous or just an idiot. I called my best guy friend, who is a bit of a liberal and really just doesn't grasp that there are bad people out there, he thought it was just a "rednecky" thing to do. I emailed an acquaintance of mine whose wife is a police officer, and luckily they were still up and on email, and he told me that his wife said to call the police. So I did. But, the 911 operator fussed at me for waiting an hour (by then it was an hour). I was very upset with that. Finally, the deputy called me (I told them I didnt need him to come out but I did want to talk to him) and he asked me among other things "Do you have a gun?" I said that I did not. He said "You need one." At that point, I was stunned and I assumed that for him to say that, he must know something that I didnt know about the danger of living where I do. I was not against guns at that time, but I am not a person who would have gotten "into" guns or even put a priority on buying one (I probably would not have bought one had this not happened). Well, after that night, I called gun shops to find out how to learn about guns but the only classes available were concealed weapons permit classes. I took the class and the instructor helped me decide prior to the class what gun I was going to get (a revolver). I'm now a totally different person from who I was a little more than 2 years ago. I wouldnt be posting this here on this site if it wasn't for that experience (law enforcement was something that literally never entered my mind). I will probably never know what his intentions were, but I'm pretty sure they weren't innocent. I feel that I was very lucky that time, and I'm not about to tempt fate again. That was my wake up call. Never again do I want to be as vulnerable as I felt that night.
    Arm the sheep!

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Sounds like the Deputy gave you good advice.

Often times, LEOs are afraid to give that advice, so you found a good one.
    I'm your huckleberry...

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

I agree. I've given the same advice before. I usually explain to people that we are mostly a "reactive" force. We respond during or after the emergency. In my rural setting its not uncommon to have an hour "code 3" run just to go to a call. The local Sheriff even told people that it is the peoples responsibility to protect themselves. As such he has basically made the county a "shall issue" in regards to CCWs. He is getting alot of flak for it across the state but he is sticking to his guns (pun intended).

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    I agree. I've given the same advice before. I usually explain to people that we are mostly a "reactive" force. We respond during or after the emergency. In my rural setting its not uncommon to have an hour "code 3" run just to go to a call. The local Sheriff even told people that it is the peoples responsibility to protect themselves. As such he has basically made the county a "shall issue" in regards to CCWs. He is getting alot of flak for it across the state but he is sticking to his guns (pun intended).
    PM me with the county info. I've been looking for a CA permit.

(Yes, I know I don't need one, but I collect them because the moment you end up in a jam the first thing that is going to go is your carry authority.)
    I'm your huckleberry...

Supporting Member Lvl 2

At the time, I was honestly shocked that he said that and am I convinced that he knows something that I dont know about someone or something or other in the area and so that makes me more frightened. Perhaps that isn't so, and he meant it in a general sense, but of course fear is what it is. In any case, I'm grateful that he said that, it may save my life one day. I'm not taking the chance of being unprepared again (which is opposite of how I naturally am -- I can easily walk around with my head in the clouds. I am not attentive in the least..I have to make an effort to be). Unfortunately, I didn't even take note of his name, so I really dont even know who it is and I wont be able to thank him.
    Arm the sheep!

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    I agree. I've given the same advice before. I usually explain to people that we are mostly a "reactive" force. We respond during or after the emergency.
    In my rural setting its not uncommon to have an hour "code 3" run just to go to a call. The local Sheriff even told people that it is the peoples responsibility to protect themselves. As such he has basically made the county a "shall issue" in regards to CCWs. He is getting alot of flak for it across the state but he is sticking to his guns (pun intended).
    That's fantastic!! I hope he gets some support for it!!! Maybe some more of Cali will follow suit!
    Arm the sheep!

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    So, are you single?

Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Thread Information