Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Darin is offline I'm sooooo gonna score
    Verified LEO

Looking for a new off duty...

My dept. weapon is an H&K USP .45 full size. I'm wanting to stay with a .45 for off duty and possible back up weapon. I've been eying a Kimber Ultra CDP, Kimber Ultra Covert w/laser grips, Glock 30 or 36 slimline.

I currently have a Glock 26 9mm that I used as an offduty with my old dept. I haven't been to qual with an off duty yet at my new dept.

I'd like a gun that's close to my duty weapon but H&K doesn't make a small concealable weapon IMHO. Even the compact USP is pretty big.

Any comments appreciated!!

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I've been using the G30 since 1999 it has worked great. It is a little bigger and heavier then your G26 so make sure you are comfortable with that before purchasing one.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Darin,

If you want familiarity with the USP, go with an H&K P2000SK in .40 with the LEM trigger module. The P2000SK is H&K's subcompact. It is only a hair bigger than a mini Glock, and functions (and looks) like a USP. You can even forego the more expensive LEM trigger and just go with a regular DA/SA hammer version. It is a sweet gat. You have a similar manual of arms as your duty weapon (some variants have a decocker, but no safety is available), i.e. ambi mag release, etc. Similar grip angle, all that good stuff, wrapped up with a solid 10 rounds of .40 before reloading. I sold mine because I needed to buy my mother a good computer, but I'm keeping my eye out to buy another.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Heckler_&_Koch_P2000
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    Try the Taurus Millenium stainless in 45 acp. It's well sprung for full-power 45 loads and it feeds my handoaded 200 gr SWC cast bullets just fine. Very dependable. Try the 10+1 model, the 6+1 is a waste of space. The later models have a smoother DAO.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Darin View Post
    My dept. weapon is an H&K USP .45 full size. I'm wanting to stay with a .45 for off duty and possible back up weapon. I've been eying a Kimber Ultra CDP, Kimber Ultra Covert w/laser grips, Glock 30 or 36 slimline.

I currently have a Glock 26 9mm that I used as an offduty with my old dept. I haven't been to qual with an off duty yet at my new dept.

I'd like a gun that's close to my duty weapon but H&K doesn't make a small concealable weapon IMHO. Even the compact USP is pretty big.

Any comments appreciated!!
    Out of the choices you posted, I would suggest the Glock 30 or 36.

I'm not going to suggest other than what you are looking at, figuring you already have chosen them for a reason.

1911's can hiccup in the short variety, and laser grips are a gimmick on a gun used the way you intend.

Also, I note you have familiarity with the Glock system already.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Darin is offline I'm sooooo gonna score
    Verified LEO

Thumbs up

Thanks for the advice and replies. I never thought about the H&K P2000SK. I didn't realize they were that small. I'll have to check them out. Too bad they don't come in .45.

I've heard about the small 1911 having some problems. I'm wanting a 1911. Maybe I'll just get a full size and get something else for off duty.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Yep. I love the P2000SK in .40. Like I said, I've got an eye out for a new one.

As for the size, it is VERY similar to the mini glocks. Here's a comparison from each of the manufacturer's sites.

Length HK - 6.41in/Glock - 6.29in
    Height 4.6in/4.17in
    Width 1.27in/1.18in
    Sight Radius 5.17in/5.67in
    Barrel Length 3.26in/3.46in

H&K is just a hair bigger all around, but a superior weapon IMO.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Darin View Post
    Thanks for the advice and replies. I never thought about the H&K P2000SK. I didn't realize they were that small. I'll have to check them out. Too bad they don't come in .45.

I've heard about the small 1911 having some problems. I'm wanting a 1911. Maybe I'll just get a full size and get something else for off duty.
    Well now, a full size 1911 is going to be quite reliable.

It's the little ones that are problematic.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

pac201 is offline Used up and retired
    Verified LEO
    a handbasket...guess where we're going...
    I have the kimber ultra carry and haven't experienced any malfunctions with it. If you have your heart set on a 1911 you're not going to be satisfied with anything else...btdt.
    Job security...

Ecclesiastes 8:11 Because sentence against an evil work is not executed speedily, therefore the heart of the sons of men is fully set in them to do evil.

Thread Information