Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
    nsb22 is offline Crazilicious
    I'm leaning more towards a longer barrel M1. 16" does seem a tad short. Sgt, is your friends a short or long barrell?

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
    -- Ambrose Redmoon

The views and postings of NSB22 are in no way shared or supported by NSB22's employers.

Silly question, but they use the M14 mags right?

"Courage is not the absence of fear, but rather the judgment that something else is more important than fear."
    -- Ambrose Redmoon

The views and postings of NSB22 are in no way shared or supported by NSB22's employers.

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    Answer to 2 above posts. The friend has the short barrel SOCOM. My Robar has same short barrel with muizzle break. The standard grade Springifield is a good rifle out of the box.

The magazines are M-14 mags. You can get 5 rd, 10 rd, and 29 rd mags. GI original 20 rd mags will have a letter code on the back edge. The Chinese made mags are OK, the parkerrized finish sems a bit lighter. Look for steel followers.

There are a lot of trash aftermarket mags out there. They are 20, 25, and 30 round. The crappy afermarket mags are frorm the usual sources, Tom Forrest of San Diego, National, USA, Pro Mag, etc. Most recognizable by their lousy looking blue finish, bent feed lips, abd a follower made our of some reycled plastic. There are Taiwan military made mags that are OK, made from US tooling.

The Chinese imported the Poly-Tech and Norinco copies of the M-1A. They were banned from import by Slick Willie. Still available in Canada at Marstar, but cannot be imported to US. The Chinese rifles have an earned reputatoin for poor acuracy, unrelaible, and worse metallurgy. The stocks look like they were carved from low grade pallet lumber.

Springfield Armory builds a good rifle, as does Fulton Armory. A lot of military trained armorers are out there, and they can build a good rifle. Like the AR series, the quality of the parts is the difference. Springfield has good warranty service.

Ammo is another mattter. Be careful of Wolf, steel-case, or unknown 3rd world ammo. It may be corrosive primed, and most non-US or non-CDN ammo is Berdan primed thus not-reloadable.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

My current stash of .308 consists of new Silver Bear soft nose and sirplus australian. Neither is corrosive to my knowledge. At least i didn't have any problems in the 2 rifles i shot it through.

Thanks for the info!

-- Ambrose Redmoon

What about the mags from CMI? They look okay on the auction site, but I don't know crap about them.

-- Ambrose Redmoon

Nevermind on the CMI ? And it really sucks that ProMags suck! I can get them for $15 a piece plus just $7 shipping for the hole order.

I can also get C. J. WEAPONS ACC. for $16 a piece.

-- Ambrose Redmoon

DIESEL326 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    A friend of mine had one... He had to send it back to SA 3 times before it ever worked worth a crap. Then he got rid of it. I'd go with a full size M1A or a Scout. I would love to have a Scout!!! (and the Scout has the full length gas system)
    "Aim small, miss small."

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESEL326 View Post
    A friend of mine had one... He had to send it back to SA 3 times before it ever worked worth a crap. Then he got rid of it. I'd go with a full size M1A or a Scout. I would love to have a Scout!!! (and the Scout has the full length gas system)
    Yup.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information