Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: reloading press

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

reloading press

Does anyone here reload? I just bought a Lee reloading kit so I'm going to be trying it. I'm reading all I can now so I don't F up. 45 ACP first then move onto other calibers. Any help would be appreciated.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm going to learn with you - my new home has a garage and a workbench, so I plan to start too!

Maybe we can keep in touch with tips, etc.

I was looking at a Dillon press, but have not made any decisions.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Pinki is offline Sergeant
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Congrats Pgg!! I really need to considering all the matches I shoot, but I'm skeeeeeered to.
    Arm the sheep!

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    I'm going to learn with you - my new home has a garage and a workbench, so I plan to start too!

Maybe we can keep in touch with tips, etc.

I was looking at a Dillon press, but have not made any decisions.
    I bought mine from Cabelas. It is a Lee 50th anniversary. It came with everything you need to start (minus dies, you pick what caliber(s) you want). It will reload both rifle and pistol rounds. Total cost was $85, pretty good deal I thought. They should have it in Lacey WA also.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    Been reloading for many years, many rifle and hangun calibers, but dont do shotgun. PM me for any questions about gear, how to..., etc.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Sweet!
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

DIESEL326 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    I have been rolling my own for a while too... Feel free to ask any questions of me as well. A lot of people trash the Lee equipment, but that is what most of my stuff is, and it does just fine for me. You'll start to look at those big piles of brass on the ground in a whole new light now too!!!
    "Aim small, miss small."

RJSims is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    i sold all my realoading stuff a couple of years ago. Cant wait to get back into it. I plan on picking up a dillon 550b progressive after I pay off my ar and all its accesories! feel free to ask me any questions as well. I'll help as best I can!

narcodog is offline Rookie
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I have been reloading for about 35 years. Get yourself the proper loading manuals. Also if you are going to load 45 get a case trimmer. 45's as well as 9's headspace on the mouth of the cartridge so you will have to trim those cases that are to long. Also if the kit did not come with a primer pocket reamer to clean the powder residue so you get a good solid seat on the primer. If you don't do that when the firing pin strikes the primer the primer will move forward and you might a have a malfunction.
    "A Knights Oath
    A Knight is sworn to valor; His Heart only knows virtue; His Blade defends the helpless; His Might upholds the weak; His Words speak only the truth; His Wrath undoes the wicked"

Aspire to Inspire

Checkman is offline What's the nearest cross street?
    Verified LEO
    I reload 38 special and 45 acp. I use my dad's Dillon Progressive. Been into it for about six years now. It keeps me in ammo.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    I've been reloading for a couple of years. I have a Dillon 550B, which I've been very happy with, but I use Lee dies on it - The Dillon dies are rather expensive. I've mostly reloaded 357 Magnum and 9mm, but I'm about to try .40 S&W. Always get carbide sizing dies - They don't require lube.

The primers are the most dangerous component - A whole tray or tube of those little buggers can explode all at once from handling them roughly. A friend of mine has a hole in his ceiling where a primer tube went off all at once while they were in his Dillon (he tried to force a primer that didn't want to seat right). It shot the whole heavy-wall primer tube into the ceiling, where it hit a rafter and bent like a snake. Comparatively speaking, the powder is pretty hard to ignite.

One thing I've found with 9mm is that it doesn't matter much if you re-use the brass a bunch of times until the necks crack - Which you can find because the cracked ones ring like little bells when you shake some in your hand. Of course I don't push my luck - A dozen reloads are about the limit for me.

But .40 S&W and .357 Magnum is an entirely different story because of the pressures involved - If a case blows, it could cause burns and injury (I've seen other people's .40 S&W blow), so keep track of the number of times you re-use the brass on rounds like that. I've heard a lot of people say that they shouldn't be reloaded more than 3-4 times with a Glock, because a Glock doesn't fully support the rear of the case very well. People who shoot a lot of reloads in their Glock usually opt for a barrel that fully suports the cartridge.

The other critical things are bullet seating distance and weight of the bullet as well as the amount and type of powder.

Speaking of powder, watch out for double-charges and no charges! If you're interrupted by a jam or the wife or something, it's very easy to double-charge or no-charge a load even on a progressive press. If in doubt, just throw it away. On .357 Magnums, I always use a little depth gauge made from a cut-off Bic pen to gauge the level of the powder right before I seat the bullet, because there's plenty of room for a double-charge of powder, which would explode the gun.

A load without powder is extremely dangerous too, because the primer might drive the bullet only halfway down the barrel. Then if you pull the trigger again, the next bullet can explode the barrel, although it usually just puffs the barrel out like a snake who ate an egg.

A bottle of power shouldn't be stored in anything that might hold pressure (like a safe) - If it ever ignites inside a safe it can explode the whole safe, but if it ignites in a weak wooden box or something that will allow pressure to escape, it won't explode. I keep mine in one of those Fire-Boxes like you get at Wal-Mart in the office supply section, but I don't lock the lid, so the lid will blow off and relieve the pressure. In fact, I removed the catch so it CAN'T be locked.

Other than those few precautions, have fun! It really isn't as dangerous as people think, because smokeless powder is pretty safe - but Black powder is something that I'd never keep in the house, because black powder can explode even in a weak container and can be ignited by static electricity.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

mtaylor is offline "I dont feel the need to explain myself!"
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I thought about getting into reloading as .357 sig ammo is expensive however since the round is necked down and goes through much greater pressures I'm a little worried that I could be pulling the trigger on a bomb.

TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer
    A friend of mine has reloaded a limited amount of .357 Sig with no problems so far... I'm like you though, I'd be a little afraid of it (especially after reloading the brass more than a few times). I'm sure there's some stories floating around on the Internet about people's experiences with it, but you never know whether they're boasting or not.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by sgtbear111 View Post
    Been reloading for many years, many rifle and hangun calibers, but dont do shotgun. PM me for any questions about gear, how to..., etc.
    That goes for me too. reloading 40+ years

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

armsmaster270 is offline Ret. Sac. P.D. - 270th M.P. Co., Now with D.H.S.
    Verified LEO
    Another thing you can get a bunch of reloading info on the web from the bullet and powder company's web sites. I use the Dillon 550B and have dillon, RCBS, and Lee dies they all work good. I like the dillon for the slide in die plates set em & practically forget them.

Pretty women make us BUY beer. Ugly women make us DRINK beer. --Al Bundy

http://www.armsmaster.net-a.googlepages.com

Thread Information