Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Checkman.....you might be interested to know that the British Army insisted that it's soldiers be capable of firing 20 aimed shots per minute with the Lee. A good british rifle company was capable of putting out aprox 2300 hundred aimed rounds a minute from prepared positions.....which goes a long way toward explaining why indigenes often died by the hundreds or thousands in Africa and the middle east. You may have noticed that much of the Indian Army still use them....as seen in the recent Mumbai violence.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Pinki is offline Sergeant
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    OK, I'll get a writeup done with the main points.

Hopefully, diesel or SPD will weigh in.

Thanks Maclean!
    Arm the sheep!

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post
    Checkman.....you might be interested to know that the British Army insisted that it's soldiers be capable of firing 20 aimed shots per minute with the Lee. A good british rifle company was capable of putting out aprox 2300 hundred aimed rounds a minute from prepared positions.....which goes a long way toward explaining why indigenes often died by the hundreds or thousands in Africa and the middle east. You may have noticed that much of the Indian Army still use them....as seen in the recent Mumbai violence.

Car 4

That's very interesting!
    Arm the sheep!

Checkman is offline What's the nearest cross street?
    Verified LEO
    Car 4. Yes i knew that, but thanks. Evidently when the Germans first ran up against the British in the early days of WW1 at Mons, Belgium the British rifle fire was so intense (and accurate) that the Germans thought the British had entire battalions of nothing but machine guns!

Of course as the war ground on and the British Army had to expand to several million soldiers that standard of riflemanship went to the wayside. But the small professional British army before WW1 was something else whne it came to the Lee Enfield rifle.

DIESEL326 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    So I go away for a few days and then this fun little thread pops up! Looks like I need to get some fresh pics to share. I personally can't think of a gun I've ever handled or shot that wasn't fun!
    I find myself attracted to heavy barrelled bolt actions rifles, police style shotguns, and AR's. Also a huge Glock fan, and I think mid/ large frame revolvers are sexy.
    The top pieces of my collection... Glock 35, my franken-AR, Mossberg 930SPX, and my Savage/ McGowen 30-06.

As far as my take on accuracy... There is always a nut located just to the rear of the trigger. Getting it properly tuned and adjusted is the real key to accuracy, regardless of the make of the firearm.

But seriously, most modern firearms are capable of much better accuracy than the person operating them in most circumstances. As a shooter the key (in my opinion) is consistency... do the SAME THING the SAME WAY, EVERY TIME. Trigger control, breathing, and a consistent hold are up to the nut behind the trigger.

As far as tools go, I'm far from an expert, but tight tolerances, quality machine work, tight screws, and quality components seem to make a good accurate system. There are little things that can be tweaked further, but only the best of shooters will squeeze out the little bit of added accuracy tweaking will gain.

By reputation, an AK47 is a very loose, sloppily made weapon, but they will fire even full of mud, dirt, or whatever else you put in them, and they are known for terrible accuracy.
    On the other hand the AR has very tight tolerances and can go to sh!t with just a minor bit of trash in the action, but they are much more accurate than an AK. (Again, that is REPUTATION, people on both sides of those fences will argue vehemently the opposite of what I said).
    Maybe I'll elaborate further later...
    "Aim small, miss small."

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESEL326 View Post
    So I go away for a few days and then this fun little thread pops up! Looks like I need to get some fresh pics to share. I personally can't think of a gun I've ever handled or shot that wasn't fun!
    I find myself attracted to heavy barrelled bolt actions rifles, police style shotguns, and AR's. Also a huge Glock fan, and I think mid/ large frame revolvers are sexy.
    The top pieces of my collection... Glock 35, my franken-AR, Mossberg 930SPX, and my Savage/ McGowen 30-06.

As far as my take on accuracy... There is always a nut located just to the rear of the trigger. Getting it properly tuned and adjusted is the real key to accuracy, regardless of the make of the firearm.

But seriously, most modern firearms are capable of much better accuracy than the person operating them in most circumstances. As a shooter the key (in my opinion) is consistency... do the SAME THING the SAME WAY, EVERY TIME. Trigger control, breathing, and a consistent hold are up to the nut behind the trigger.

As far as tools go, I'm far from an expert, but tight tolerances, quality machine work, tight screws, and quality components seem to make a good accurate system. There are little things that can be tweaked further, but only the best of shooters will squeeze out the little bit of added accuracy tweaking will gain.

By reputation, an AK47 is a very loose, sloppily made weapon, but they will fire even full of mud, dirt, or whatever else you put in them, and they are known for terrible accuracy.
    On the other hand the AR has very tight tolerances and can go to sh!t with just a minor bit of trash in the action, but they are much more accurate than an AK. (Again, that is REPUTATION, people on both sides of those fences will argue vehemently the opposite of what I said).
    Maybe I'll elaborate further later...

So I guess the ARs have to be kept very clean?
    Arm the sheep!

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinki View Post

So I guess the ARs have to be kept very clean?
    Some will say you should clean them every 5 minutes or else an electron will float into the action and the rifle will implode. I've never had that kinda trouble with any of mine. I clean em every few hundred rounds and don't worry about it.
    And once upon a time, I went through a Tactical Operations in Rural Terrain school and did some impromptu T&E. I carried it everywhere I went for the first 3 days through dirt, dust, grass and rocks, and never cleaned it other than blowing the dust off of the exterior. The last two days were live fire, and we went through about 800 rds. the first day, and I left it dirty for day five. (And by dirty, I mean NASTY) Day five came, I dumped some Rem Oil on it and went to town once again, putting about 700 more rounds throuh it on day two. She was absolutely disgusting when all was said and done, but the only 2 failures I had were magazine issues. I personally think that the AR is still trying to shake myths and reputations it aquired during it's infancy in Vietnam, but the rifles we shoot today have come a long way since then.

Is the AR as hardy as the AK... no. But it isn't the dainty little flower some of it's harshest critics make it to be either. Most reports from soldiers I've read (taken with salt since this the internet) seem pretty positive about the M4/M16/AR weapon systems.
    "Aim small, miss small."

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I've run multiple thousand rounds of shit ammo through my Colt - while morris did the same with his DPMS - and we never had a failure.

We both looked like sugar cookies from the sand and dust, and the rifles were tan in color by the end of the day.

We did see a Bushy go down with a broken mag catch, but that was the rare burp.

I'll second what he said - the AR is as reliable as you can afford.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Most of the times when I've had failures with the AR type rifle is when they are brand new. I think all the parts need to be broken in. They like to be lubed also. I've also seen them have jams after someone shoots alot of wolf ammo (very dirty) and shoots brass through it. I think its because the steel case doesn't expand during firing and allows soot to fill up the chamber. As long as you take care of your rifle it should work just fine.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    As long as you take care of your rifle it should work just fine.
    I don't know how many countless times we had this drilled into us at boot camp. Tear down, clean and reassemble. "Take care of your weapon and it will take care of you."

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Some will say you should clean them every 5 minutes or else an electron will float into the action and the rifle will implode. I've never had that kinda trouble with any of mine. I clean em every few hundred rounds and don't worry about it.
    And once upon a time, I went through a Tactical Operations in Rural Terrain school and did some impromptu T&E. I carried it everywhere I went for the first 3 days through dirt, dust, grass and rocks, and never cleaned it other than blowing the dust off of the exterior. The last two days were live fire, and we went through about 800 rds. the first day, and I left it dirty for day five. (And by dirty, I mean NASTY) Day five came, I dumped some Rem Oil on it and went to town once again, putting about 700 more rounds throuh it on day two. She was absolutely disgusting when all was said and done, but the only 2 failures I had were magazine issues. I personally think that the AR is still trying to shake myths and reputations it aquired during it's infancy in Vietnam, but the rifles we shoot today have come a long way since then.

Is the AR as hardy as the AK... no. But it isn't the dainty little flower some of it's harshest critics make it to be either. Most reports from soldiers I've read (taken with salt since this the internet) seem pretty positive about the M4/M16/AR weapon systems.

Ok, thanks for the explanation! That's very good to know because I'm very bad at keeping my guns clean
    Arm the sheep!

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    I've run multiple thousand rounds of shit ammo through my Colt - while morris did the same with his DPMS - and we never had a failure.

We both looked like sugar cookies from the sand and dust, and the rifles were tan in color by the end of the day.

We did see a Bushy go down with a broken mag catch, but that was the rare burp.

I'll second what he said - the AR is as reliable as you can afford.

My upper and lower from Sun Devil should arrive tomorrow hopefully!
    Arm the sheep!

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Most of the times when I've had failures with the AR type rifle is when they are brand new. I think all the parts need to be broken in. They like to be lubed also. I've also seen them have jams after someone shoots alot of wolf ammo (very dirty) and shoots brass through it. I think its because the steel case doesn't expand during firing and allows soot to fill up the chamber. As long as you take care of your rifle it should work just fine.

I'm not so good at the "take care of" part
    Arm the sheep!

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by CTR man View Post
    I don't know how many countless times we had this drilled into us at boot camp. Tear down, clean and reassemble. "Take care of your weapon and it will take care of you."

Arm the sheep!

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinki View Post
    I'm not so good at the "take care of" part
    This should be a good test for you then. Once you get your sun devil put together, see what kind of abuse it'll take before you have to clean it.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    My wife definitely loves me. Got a Desert Eagle .44 mag. A beast.
    I'm not ruining your life, you are, and I'm just going to write a short story about it.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by deputysykes View Post
    A good wife who can somewhat understand our addiction is awesome, and I've got the BEST!!!

In the past three months I've picked up:
    Remington 673 Guide Gun in 6.5 Rem Mag (I NEEDED a hunting rifle)
    Colt HBAR
    Savage Tactical 223
    and I'm picking up a Glock 23 next week (in case I score the Drug Task Force assignment)

I LOVE HER SO!
    "Aim small, miss small."

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    This should be a good test for you then. Once you get your sun devil put together, see what kind of abuse it'll take before you have to clean it.

If the pink part gets dirty though...I'll be likely to clean that part (I have to clean the muzzle of my Glock after each use).
    Arm the sheep!

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by deputysykes View Post
    Picture!!! picture!!! picture!!!!!
    Arm the sheep!

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    A good wife who can somewhat understand our addiction is awesome, and I've got the BEST!!!

In the past three months I've picked up:
    Remington 673 Guide Gun in 6.5 Rem Mag (I NEEDED a hunting rifle)
    Colt HBAR
    Savage Tactical 223
    and I'm picking up a Glock 23 next week (in case I score the Drug Task Force assignment)

I LOVE HER SO!

Pictures! Pictures! Pictures!
    Arm the sheep!

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information