Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast
    Checkman is offline What's the nearest cross street?
    Verified LEO

Non duty guns or fun guns.

So among the threads about duty Glocks, AR's, H&K's, S&W, Kimbers, Springfields, Remington 870's/700's, and so on, I figured it was time to have a thread about being a gun buff.

Do you have any particular interests when it comes to non-duty firearms? Are you into firearms or are they strictly tools of the trade for you?

I'll start with myself.

Among my collection I have four pieces that are my "duty" weapons. A G19, G26, S&W Model 49 and a Remington 870. All the rest are recreational pieces.

I'm very partial to revolvers, especially S&W revolvers. I have examples of N frames, L frames, K and J frames. I'm partial to .357 magnums and 38 special models. I have a Colt Detective Special (3rd generation. Mfd. 1974) and a Colt Official Police (mfd. 1953).

My pride and joy though is a Webley Mk VI revolver manufactured in 1921. In case you don't know it's a British break top revolver in the .455 Webley or Ely caliber. It took me years to finally find one that was in decent condition and it set me back almost six hundred dollars.

In rifles and shotguns I'm partial to Winchester, Marlin and Lee-Enfields. The Winchesters can be very spendy which is why I own exactly two. A very nice example of the Model 1895 rifle in 30-06 and a Model 12 shotgun Trap version in 12 gauge. Marlins ans Lee-Enfields are more affordable.

I don't hunt and I don't compete. For me it's all about the hunt for the older models. My collection is modest, but I'm proud of it.

At work I'm a firearms instructor and when .357/38 ammo has to be cleaned out of evidence guess who gets to "destroy" it? I own a Ruger GP100 and it's my "destroyer" of old ammo. It's built like a tank and if one day it should come across some bad ammo I won't be torn up by it's loss. There are advantages to being the only revolver nut in a department obsessed with semi-autos.

I'm looked upon as being something of an eccentric by my fellow officers, but in a good way.

In terms of calibers I have made an effort to not have too much variety. 45 acp, 357/38, 9mm, 22LR, 12 gauge, 30-06, .303 British and .455 Webley. I used to have a Swedish 96 Mauser in 6.5 Swede and a Spanish Mauser in 7mm but those are gone now.

So does anyone wish to add anything? Do you have any firearms that interest you beyond work? Or am I all alone?

Pinki is offline Sergeant
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I'm not a LEO, but if you want to post some pictures of your firearms that would be great! The guns in my collection right now are: J frame S& W Model 60 .357 revolver, Glock19 in pink Duracoat, Springfield XD 9mm, and a Sig Mosquito (.22) in Pink special make. I've also ordered a upper and lower stripped receiver that will eventually become my Pink AR.
    Arm the sheep!

Verified LEO
    No this thread isn't limited to LEO's. Glad to hear from everybody. Just mentioned the duty weapons since so many of the threads seem to be dedicated to duty only firearms.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Wish I had the money to get into guns more. Once I get the gun safe I think I will naturally be drawn to filling it up. Unfortunately, I have another expensive hobby, making cars go fast. This should be an interesting thread though. Your avatar from the movie Bullit?

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Here are a couple photos. A Lithgow Lee Enfield Mk III* (mfd. 1918) and a BSA "sporterized" Lee Enfield Mk III*. It's a Bubba rifle, but it has a charm that I like. My S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolmen. I had two of them parkarized and then a teflon coat was baked on. Very sturdy finishes.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Wish I had the money to get into guns more. Once I get the gun safe I think I will naturally be drawn to filling it up. Unfortunately, I have another expensive hobby, making cars go fast. This should be an interesting thread though. Your avatar from the movie Bullit?
    You're the first person to ask me that. Yeah it from Bullitt. It's a captured still at the end of the movie after he shoots the bad guy in the airport. I like all the older cop movies. Brings back memories of watching those movies on television with my dad. He was a career cop during those years (1970-1994).

You got a version of that Mustang? I don't.

My collection really took off when I got a safe.

Verified LEO
    Couple more photos. this one has the sporterized BSA Lee-Enfield and the Webley Mk VI. Sorry about the quality of the photos. I wasn't using our better camera and it was set to the maximum number of photos. So the picture quality isn't great. But it gives you a small idea of what I like.
    Attached Images Attached Images

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Checkman View Post
    You got a version of that Mustang? I don't.
    I'm sure that and other slowstangs are nice I, however, drive with the General.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

MacLean is online now O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I don't really have any 'just for fun' guns, but if I did I think I'd be into replica single actions.

I know I could never afford a real Colt, but a replica is in range.

Match that up with a yellow boy rifle, or maybe a Sharps and I would have some fun.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Here are a couple photos. A Lithgow Lee Enfield Mk III* (mfd. 1918) and a BSA "sporterized" Lee Enfield Mk III*. It's a Bubba rifle, but it has a charm that I like. My S&W Model 28 Highway Patrolmen. I had two of them parkarized and then a teflon coat was baked on. Very sturdy finishes.

Your guns are very nice! Do you still shoot the Lithgow or is it something you just keep as a collector's item? I would be worried about shooting something like that.

edited to add, I dont know anything about those guns, but I meant something with that sort of history (made in 1918).
    Arm the sheep!

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Here are my guns:

Arm the sheep!

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Don't get me wrong, the Lee Enfield is an excellent weapon that has earned its reputation.

YouTube - TOP 10:Combat Rifles - Lee Enfield No4(No.3)

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    My current fun gun is a Mosin Nagant M-44 carbine. Got it for under $80 at a gun show, and a 440 rd can of Bulgarian ammo cost $85. It's recoil is manageable, and the muzzle blast is fierce. Now I had several hundred rounds of 762x54R ammo, so with the logic of a true collector, I found a Romanian (PSL54) version of the Dragunov to shoot up all that ammo.

Only about 40 rounds thru the PSL54, tuning it as it breaks-in. So far 1.5 inch at 100 yds with light ball (147-150 gr) ComBloc ammo. I am still learning about the PSO 4x scope. It's cumbersome, but much nicer on the shoulder than the M-44 carbine. Going to add 2 inches to the buttstock, will try marine plywood stained orange with a drippy coat of cheap varnish. That will match the rest of the wood on it.

The ComBloc ammo is very corrosive, so it gets the boiling water, ammonia and detergent bath after every use.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

MacLean is online now O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Forgot to add, I would also love to have a Barrett light 50, but could never justify the expense.

Sigh, must make the tough decisions.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Forgot to add, I would also love to have a Barrett light 50, but could never justify the expense. .
    Justification is those pesky trespassing engine blocks at 1000 yards.

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    I have an affinity for Glocks in the .40 long slide flavor. Up to three of them lovely G35s, a 24 and looking to pickup another.

Otherwise, they are all tools.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Pinki View Post
    Your guns are very nice! Do you still shoot the Lithgow or is it something you just keep as a collector's item? I would be worried about shooting something like that.

edited to add, I dont know anything about those guns, but I meant something with that sort of history (made in 1918).
    The Lee-Enfield was made in numerous Commonwealth nations (Austalia, Canada, India,United Kingdon) and also the United States by Remington and Savage under contract with the British goverment. It's common practice to name the factory where an individual rilfle was made. Lithgow is the goverment armory in Australia. BSA stands for Birmingham Small Arms which is an arms factory in Birmingham England. Therefore a Lithgow Lee-Enfield and a BSA Lee-Enfield.

Many collectors of Enfields focus on collecting as many specimens from one particular factory as they can find. I'm not that picky, but I like the Lithgows. No reason except because.

The Lithgow is in very good condition. It has no importer stamp so it was brought into the country before 1968. I bought it nine years ago when I was living in Upper New York State. In a little gunshop owned by a retired NYSP trooper. Town called Black River. At the time it set me back $100.00 which was alot of money for a enlisted soldier with a family.

My example is in very good condition. This was a rifle designed for battle and the nasty conditons that come with it. It's very strong if not as elegant as a sporting rifle. While prices have started to go up recently they aren't like an original 1873 Winchester. Millions were made in various models (the British call the different versions Marks. Go figure) from 1888 (aproximately) to 1957.

I don't shoot it all the time and when I do I only shoot modern Winchester, Federal or Hornady .303 ammo. If you know anything about modern rifle ammo that isn't a cheap propositon so it gets taken to the range approximately once every two years or so.

Probably more than you wanted to know huh?

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    The Lee-Enfield was made in numerous Commonwealth nations (Austalia, Canada, India,United Kingdon) and also the United States by Remington and Savage under contract with the British goverment. It's common practice to name the factory where an individual rilfle was made. Lithgow is the goverment armory in Australia. BSA stands for Birmingham Small Arms which is an arms factory in Birmingham England. Therefore a Lithgow Lee-Enfield and a BSA Lee-Enfield.

Many collectors of Enfields focus on collecting as many specimens from one particular factory as they can find. I'm not that picky, but I like the Lithgows. No reason except because.

The Lithgow is in very good condition. It has no importer stamp so it was brought into the country before 1968. I bought it nine years ago when I was living in Upper New York State. In a little gunshop owned by a retired NYSP trooper. Town called Black River. At the time it set me back $100.00 which was alot of money for a enlisted soldier with a family.

My example is in very good condition. This was a rifle designed for battle and the nasty conditons that come with it. It's very strong if not as elegant as a sporting rifle. While prices have started to go up recently they aren't like an original 1873 Winchester. Millions were made in various models (the British call the different versions Marks. Go figure) from 1888 (aproximately) to 1957.

I don't shoot it all the time and when I do I only shoot modern Winchester, Federal or Hornady .303 ammo. If you know anything about modern rifle ammo that isn't a cheap propositon so it gets taken to the range approximately once every two years or so.

Probably more than you wanted to know huh?
    That was actually a very good read -- thanks for the history!
    Arm the sheep!

deputysykes is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    I've got a Colt Double Eagle. It's one of the few Colt double-action autos. A very sweet 45 pistol. That's probably the nicest "just because" gun I've got.
    I'm not ruining your life, you are, and I'm just going to write a short story about it.

Verified LEO
    I own a Colt Commander that was purchased brand new (by my grandfather) in 1974. I inherited it a couple years ago. Terrific handgun. Love those 1911's.

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 LastLast

Thread Information