Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Squirrel503 is offline The Smiley Snickering Squirrel

AR 15 Accessories

I got an ar and I was looking for suggestions as to accessories... I was debating between a laser and a holographic sight.... i was thinking of going with a laser and then mount a scope on my flat top, only problem is i have a fixed front site and i was wondering if it will get in the way of the view through the scope.... i perfer to hold it by the mag well so not looking for a fore grip really....

I have a led g2 that I am going to mount on the side of the front sight, thinking of the laser underneath so it doesn't get hit....

Thanks in advance

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Ok, I'll give you some no bullshit things to think about.

Forget the laser. It's useless. I'd never approve one on any rifle for any of my people, and I would run someone off my range who used it rather than their sights.

Unless it is an AN/PAQ-4C and you are a SeAL or Delta, an aiming laser on a rifle is a toy.

If you have a removeable carry handle AR, keep the carry handle on it until you can afford an EOTech or an Aimpoint *AND* a backup iron sight. That's another $500-600.

Get really damn good with iron sights. Get really damn good with iron sights. Get really damn good with iron sights. Catching a theme here?

If you wish to spend money on dolling up your rifle (and I have, believe me) first buy a decent sling. Decide on a single point or a two point or some other tacticool version - but make sure you have good mounts and a good sling that you can fight and run in.

Next, make sure you have light. LOTS of light is better than little light. It's a rifle - which means it shoots a ways. Get a light that shines a ways.

Once you have accomplished those two things, come back and I'll help you spend thousands.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

I got the light i am thinking of a place to mount it. with the iron sights do you "lollipop it" i am referring to putting the post at the bottom of the circle? thats what my dad was telling me to do, the last time i shot with dog ears i was 10 and it was an m1 garand so i cant remember...

are there any other good eotech style sights cause i really dont want to spend 500-600... the flip up is coming soon but i need advice on where to mount my g2 so it is practical cause we had a shots fired with a sawed off and i aint walking around with my flashlight in my hand

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel503 View Post
    I got the light i am thinking of a place to mount it. with the iron sights do you "lollipop it" i am referring to putting the post at the bottom of the circle? thats what my dad was telling me to do, the last time i shot with dog ears i was 10 and it was an m1 garand so i cant remember...

are there any other good eotech style sights cause i really dont want to spend 500-600... the flip up is coming soon but i need advice on where to mount my g2 so it is practical cause we had a shots fired with a sawed off and i aint walking around with my flashlight in my hand
    I'll take your questions in order.

"I got the light i am thinking of a place to mount it."

You don't have enough light for a rifle. It's a start, but this will be the first thing you will want to upgrade after you make sure you have a sling on it.

"with the iron sights do you "lollipop it"

There are two schools of thought with a co-witnessed BUIS/optic. I personally place the dot so that if I raise my cheek weld for the optic, I see only the dot. If I need the BUIS, I drop my cheekweld and voila, there it is.

Others wiill disagree with me and say you need special mounts, etc. Find out what works best for you.

are there any other good eotech style sights cause i really dont want to spend 500-600...

That price quote was for a EOTech AND a BUIS. The short answer to this question is no. You really do get what you pay for, and a rifle is a primary fighting tool. The good news is you only have to spend it once, and the other good news is that you don't need it if you can use iron sights well. It's a luxury to be afforded AFTER you master the irons.

i need advice on where to mount my g2 so it is practical cause we had a shots fired with a sawed off and i aint walking around with my flashlight in my hand

Since the G2 is what you have for now, you can do all kinds of shit in the way of mounting. I prefer to have my light on the right side of the gun so it does not catch on my sling or gear. If you are a lefty, that may not apply the same way.

You need to be able to get to it with your support hand, and it needs to stay out of the way of everything else.

Options abound - look at GG&G, or similar outfitters for ideas. Avoid anything made by the cheap ass no name outfits.

Hope this helps - if you got questions I got answers, but bear in mind I am only an instructor, which means I can be wrong
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Pudge is online now Site Admin
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    bear in mind I am only an instructor, which means I can be wrong

Pardon the brief hijack, I just needed to preserve that statement. Looks like something I need in my sig

As you were
    "Like" us on facebook! https://www.facebook.com/pages/Offic...93147194083228

Follow members of O/R as they tweet a "Ride a long" on their shifts on the front page of the site and on twitter at the following links:

www.twitter.com/PoliceRideAlong
    www.twitter.com/lewisipso
    www.twitter.com/ORgopher
    www.twitter.com/SecondChance122
    www.twitter.com/pojmm
    www.twitter.com/ORGIB

The opinions given in my posts & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Pudge" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm your huckleberry...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    SLiC Thing: Sling & Tactical Gun / Weapon Flash Light Comb Mount for AR 15

GG&G

Light mount ideas from the company I mentioned.

Notice on the second photo however, that they have prevented the use of the front sling mount. This only works with a single point sling, no?

Always visualize everything and think about what will interfere with what, what will be comfortable, etc.
    I'm your huckleberry...

which do you prefer single point or three point because i dont want my rifle getting f'ed up if i have to kneel down to arrest someone, also i dont want it hitting my knees or legs if i have to run

thanks for all the help by the way

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Squirrel503 View Post
    which do you prefer single point or three point because i dont want my rifle getting f'ed up if i have to kneel down to arrest someone, also i dont want it hitting my knees or legs if i have to run

thanks for all the help by the way
    Each of them has their strong points and weak points.

I ended up settling on a two point with a quick release that allows for transitions for my primary rifle.

I got it from Spectre.

If I switch back to a single point, it will be from Tactical link.

If you have to run, your hands should be on your rifle so that won't be an issue.
    I'm your huckleberry...

mg32 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I use a single point sling because I am cross eye dominant. I started with a two point sling but found that the rifle would interfere with access to my spare pistol magazines. As far as optics go I really like the Aimpoint. Right now mine is in a GG&G mount but next month I am swapping it for a Larue Tactical mount. As far as a mount for your light this is the one I am currently using. Viking Tactics, Inc. They also carry a line of slings.
    Where were you?

"Just a man with a fork in a world full of soup." PZO

copboy is offline Officer First Class
    Command Arms Accessories out of Israel makes some add on rails that attache to a standard hand guard. I have them mounted on my rifle and they are sturdy. They run about 20 bucks and can be installed with out any gunsmith knowledge. The only draw back is they place my light ( a Streamlight TLR-1) at about the 1 O'Clock position as opposed to the 3 O'Clock. I have not noticed much of a difference in handling as far as activating the light but that will change when I add a tape switch.

http://www.commandarms.com/product.asp?pID=145&cID=8

TXPO710 is offline Dumb ole' Cowboy
    Verified LEO
    I only have 4 add ons to my AR: Single point sling, Finger grove grip, tritium iron sights and a light. I've had scopes, eo tech and red dots. I always went back to the regular sights. Any optic I tried was no good in low light if the battery dies, The lens cut the available light down too much. I got the tritum from bownells, they just replace the standard sight. Lean to shoot it and it will just come naturally, no need to dress it up. Just my 2 cents.

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    Thanks, Maclean. I just ordered the The GG&G A2 BUIS. I had an an A.R.M.S. #40, but I didn't like not having the larger aperature.

BTW, if anyone wants to buy my A.R.M.S. #40 BUIS, I am willing to sell it for a good price.
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -Thomas Jefferson

That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants. Jeff Cooper'

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by snuffy2202 View Post
    Thanks, Maclean. I just ordered the The GG&G A2 BUIS. I had an an A.R.M.S. #40, but I didn't like not having the larger aperature.

BTW, if anyone wants to buy my A.R.M.S. #40 BUIS, I am willing to sell it for a good price.
    Cheers!

I like the GG&G sight better myself.
    I'm your huckleberry...

ARJJ is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    To the OP, my advice is to get a good sling. The VTAC 2-point that someone else mentioned is good, as is the Blue Force Gear Combat Application Sling. I use the latter on my beater gun and I use a Gear Sector single point on my duty rifle. The two-point slings will carry the rifle more securely and will provide a more stable shooting platform. The single point will allow the rifle barrel to beat your knees, but I use it because it gets in the way of my entry gear less than a two-point.

I also use a G2 on my rifle. I mounted it at 6 o'clock on the rail using a 1" scope ring--it's cheap and it works. I also have a fore grip, though, so I use the middle knuckle of my support hand index finger to activate it. If you don't wanna rail on your rifle, Safariland makes a conversion kit for standard handguards that gives you two rails--one at 11 and one at 1 o'clock. You will probably need a tape switch for the G2, though, and that will cost you as much as the flashlight for a SureFire one.

As for a red-dot sight, I run an EOTech 512 (AA battery version) and have been satisfied with it, except in bright sunlight. Last month when I qualified, I used the flip up front and rear sights only and got great results. The tritium iron sights are an excellent alternative to electronic sights, as another suggested. In any case, get used to the irons first.

One last thought: I have two ARs, my beater rifle and my duty rifle. The former is a parts gun, with a midlength upper, collapsible stock, and rear BUIS. My duty gun is an S&W M&P15-T, with the full rail, light, optic, BUIS front and rear, and a Vltor Modstock. I have outfitted the S&W as I felt necessary for my job, but all that rail, etc., adds weight quickly. It also makes the rifle much bulkier and unwieldy than a stock rifle. My parts gun, while not as tacticool, is much handier and easier to tote, and honestly I enjoy shooting it more. Just something to think about.

Thread Information