Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    TXCharlie is offline Former & Future Reserve Officer

Where did the ammo & reloading supplies go?

Anyone know where there's some small pistol primers in stock? I'm starting to run low on some things, like primers. Only have a couple of boxes left.

The current market is insane - Thank you Barak Obama for throwing everyone into a panic buying spree.

I went to Academy the other day, and plain old FMJ 9mm target ammo was $20 per box. They didn't even have any hollow points at all. Same for the Wal-Marts I went to, except that they were all sold out of FMJ too.

I could not find any 12ga slugs ANYWHERE, and I could only found a couple of boxes of 12 ga Magnum buckshot for my qualifications later this summer - No regular buckshot anywhere on the shelves.

Good thing I stocked up on Winchester Ranger .40 & 9mm last summer when I got my duty gear! I have enough slugs & buckshot for my qualifications too, but not enough to actually carry. I guess I'll have to carry that Magnum stuff.

The only place I found primers is at GunBroker.com, but at tremendously inflated prices that I'm not paying. i bidded $45 + $15 S&H for a box of primers that sold here locally for $18 last summer, and I was outbid!!!

Are there any LE-only dealers, perhaps, that actually have stuff in stock? Our PD doesn't have any ammo contracts or anything like that.

(\__/)
    (='.'=) This is Bunny. Copy and paste Bunny into your
    (")_(") signature to help him gain world domination.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I haven't seen any ammo here in months. It pisses me off

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

copboy is offline Officer First Class
    We have been lucky here the shop that supplies most of the smaller and medium sized departments has set aside quite a bit of ammo for LEOs only. You have to have badge and id or no sale. But everywhere else like Wal-mart and Meijers are all out (but I have a feeling that it has nothing to do with a shortage it is just corporate stupidity and gun hating.)

Quote Originally Posted by copboy View Post
    We have been lucky here the shop that supplies most of the smaller and medium sized departments has set aside quite a bit of ammo for LEOs only. You have to have badge and id or no sale. But everywhere else like Wal-mart and Meijers are all out (but I have a feeling that it has nothing to do with a shortage it is just corporate stupidity and gun hating.)
    Oh yeah, there are several cop supply stores in Dallas. Maybe they have some - duhhh.

I found some slugs and buckshot in stock finally at SportsmansGuide.com, and went ahead and ordered some other ammo too while I was at it, since I was having trouble finding primers. Some of the expected delivery dates for practice ammo stretch out to October 2009 Well, at least they wait to charge my Credit Card incrementally as they make partial shipments.

I ordered some primers from Cabella's for $30/1000, which is"only" double what they were a year ago, but again they're backordered, 5-8 weeks expected delivery time. Yet their order confirmation says they'll be shipped April 29th, so who knows. I ordered three brands, hoping that one of them will show up eventually.

This is wierd though - Cabella's won't deliver hazardous goods like primers to their store for free in-store pickup like they do other stuff, yet they normally would have primers and other hazardous materials in stock at their store. - So that means paying $20 hazardous materials delivery to my house + $18 shipping instead of just drivng down to ther store here.

(\__/)

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    You have to buy your own qualification ammo?
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    You have to buy your own qualification ammo?
    We have to buy all except one box per year - They give us 50 rounds a year, which is a course of fire for one gun. If we have other guns we want to qualify with as a backup or a spare, rifle, shotgun, etc, we have to buy all that ourselves.

We also have to buy all of our duty & practice ammo. They don't buy none of that, and as a result I don't think anyone practices except me (although I have been slacking too lately. I used to go out two or three times a month when I didn't worry about burning through all my ammo, but now it's more like once every two or three months.

(\__/)

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    AMMO an stuff have gone to MEXICO!!! Don't believe me, ask OBAMA and that President from Mexico.

Quote Originally Posted by bayern View Post
    AMMO an stuff have gone to MEXICO!!! Don't believe me, ask OBAMA and that President from Mexico.
    Isn't that the same place where all the fully-automatic AK-47's and RPG's made in this country go? You know, the ones that the drug lords are are buying at Wal-Mart, gun shows, and neighborhood gun stores?

(\__/)

Checkman is offline What's the nearest cross street?
    Verified LEO
    I've been hoarding 9mm, 45acp and 12 gauge slugs/00 Buck for the past three years. On the other hand I've had no problem getting 38 special, .357 magnum, 30-06, 12 gauge birdshot and 22 Long Rifle.

So my revolvers,Browning Buckmark,Marlins and Winchesters have been getting a workout. It's been fun getting back to my older less "cool" firearms.

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    Anyone know where to find 40S&W?

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by KaiGywer View Post
    Yep, just ordered $9000 worth.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I just got an update on the backordered 40 S&W & 9mm that I ordered from Sportsman's Guide. Now they're saying mid-July.

My backordered primers from Cabella's say June 1st.

In contrast, the JHP bullets I ordered directly from Montana Gold arrived in just a couple of days. I ordered 2,000 S&W 40 and 2,000 9mm. That should supply me for quite a while (like 5 or 6 trips to the range ).

If worse comes to worse I could use them for duty ammo I suppose, which is why I got JHP instead of FMJ, but I'm sure that was unnecessary since I have several hundred rounds of Ranger, and not a real good idea anyway.

(\__/)

My usual source, AmmunitionToGo, has some Fiocchi .40 S&W, but get ready for some extreme sticker shock - $45 for 50 rounds!!!
    HOLLOW POINT Ammo : Ammunition To Go

If anyone needs .223, .308, .357 Sig, or .50 BMG, CDNNsports.com also sent me a newsletter yesterday saying that they have a couple of brands in stock but it's not on their web site, and in very limited supplies - You have to call them at 800-588-9500

(\__/)

KaiGywer is offline *insert witty remark here*
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    My usual source, AmmunitionToGo, has some Fiocchi .40 S&W, but get ready for some extreme sticker shock - $45 for 50 rounds!!!
    HOLLOW POINT Ammo : Ammunition To Go
    Yeah I think I'll pass on that one...crazy...
    Alpha Phi Sigma Alum - Alpha Delta Chapter
    ΑΦΣ

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by TXCharlie View Post
    Chuck, that is ass rape.

Use the fact that you are an LEO, and order from an LEO supplier.
    I'm your huckleberry...

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    I was at Joe's Sporting Goods last night just before closing and I think they had some. I stopped there on a whim since I was driving by. Needed to pick up some .223, but figured there's no way they'd have any. I got 400 rounds of American Eagle (loose in box) for $160 ($0.40/rd)
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    I have the same problem. I was able to purchase 10,000 large pistol primers in Februrary, but the local stores don't have any small pistol primers. I was finally able to get 1000 small rifle primers, but they don't have any .223 bullets!
    The only thing I can reload now is .45s and I can only get cast bullets for them.

Also, I bought a Ruger LCP two weeks ago, but they had NO ammo for it at all!
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -Thomas Jefferson

That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants. Jeff Cooper'

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Montana Gold had bullets in stock for alot of the calibers. They are pretty good for those. I just can't find the primers
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    Montana Gold had bullets in stock for alot of the calibers. They are pretty good for those. I just can't find the primers
    Yep, Montana Gold shipped my bullets within a few days,

I'm still waiting on my Primer order from Cabella's web site - They're supposed to be in at end of May/1st of June, which was about 2 months lead time, but at least their prices were reasonable (although, shipping + tax + the $20 HazMat fee amounts to almost the cost of 2 more boxes).

BTW, you can save on the HazMat fee & shipping by combining orders from several people. The HazMat is $20 per order, and of course it costs about the same to ship one box as it does to ship six boxes, since they're so lightweight - but I didn't play with Cabella's shipping calculator to see what they actually charge for shipping if I added boxes.

(\__/)

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information