Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Ar15

mtaylor is offline "I dont feel the need to explain myself!"
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Ar15

I'm looking to purchase or possibly build an ar15 over the next few months and I just wanted to get some advice. Firstly is it still any cheaper or worth building your own rifle or is it better to just buy a complete rifle? If it's still a good idea to build your own are there any sites that you guys recommend? I've been tooling around gunbroker.com and I've seen a few dpms/RRA guns for around $1000 and I was wondering if that's the going rate these days? I'm sure I'll more questions down, but any advice would be appreciated!
    Romans 13:4
    For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Pinki's got a whole thread somewhere about building an AR with lots of good advice and sources to look for.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Read the chart - you can find it at m4carbine.net or lightfighter - Since you can't buy a Colt, I would suggest you stick with Noveske or LMT.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    You could get the new Ruger
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

bone crusher is offline "Buck Savage is my hero"
    Verified LEO
    I have built several of my own Ar-15's and actually just finished a Smith and Wesson m&p 15 clone for a buddy of mine. At first (pre Obama scare) I could build one out for approx. $700.00 and would carry a retail of about $1,100.00 at my local Police Supply store. The M&P clone unfortunately $950.00. Although this was still a few hundred dollars cheaper it was almost impossible to get quality parts at a low cost anymore. Barrels are really scarse to come by and when you do the price is reeeeealy gouged. this time around i actually had a harder time getting ahold of the bolt carrier assemblies and when i did i was confronted with buy for about $70.00 more than usual or pay the nor price and wait about 14 weeks. all in all and the moral to the story is, if you can wait out the scare then build your own, if not then just buy the one off the rack. Hope this helped you out.
    My computer once beat me at Chess but it was no match for me at Kick Boxing

mtaylor is offline "I dont feel the need to explain myself!"
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Yeah It will still be a few months before I make the purchase so hopefully prices will have died down.
    Romans 13:4
    For he is God's servant to do you good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

Caveman is offline Something Smells Kinda Funny
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    You could get the new Ruger
    I have one, fine weapon absolutely no problems with it.

"A great civilization is not conquered from without until it has destroyed itself from within."

Will Durant.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

....Member

Since Jan. 2009

ARJJ is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    MTaylor, my advice right now would be to find someone who has a few and ask to shoot them before you buy or build. Try out different models (i.e., lightweight/M4/HBAR, mid-length/carbine, stock options/rails/etc.) if you can.

If you buy, for a first rifle I'd say keep it simple and keep it light--M4 or pencil barrel, carbine-length, collapsible stock, and flat-top upper. You can customize it to fit your needs as you go, without buying more than you need up front.

Or for a first build, go with a fully assembled lower group (receiver, stock, and small parts) and then buy a complete upper assembly. Snap two pins together and you're G2G. As bone crusher pointed out, though, right now parts and kits are scarce and overpriced for the most part.

One good (if overwhelming for the new to ARs) website is www.ar15.com. I warn you though, there are some strong opinions and some very zealous spenders on that site!

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Beware of Arfcom - there is more bullshit spewed there than any other platform site, so you really have to pay attention to who you listen to.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    Beware of Arfcom - there is more bullshit spewed there than any other platform site, so you really have to pay attention to who you listen to
    A-the fuck-men.

DIESEL326 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    I have built a couple of AR's and saved a crapload of money by doing so. The biggest problem you'll have right now (or anytime soon) is finding anyone with parts in stock. I ordered a parts kit to build a rifle for my Dad with last week and was given a 16 week wait time. Brownells gives a good discount on a lot of their stuff for LEO/ Military.
    "Aim small, miss small."

ARJJ is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I second Brownells as a parts source. Register as a LEO on their website and you'll qualify for the MIL/LE pricing, which is pretty hard to beat. Their customer service is also very good.

bone crusher is offline "Buck Savage is my hero"
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    Beware of Arfcom - there is more bullshit spewed there than any other platform site, so you really have to pay attention to who you listen to.
    I have found most of these guys on the forums there to be the type that dress up in cammo and look like a survivalist just to go to the gun shows toting an old 410 break down around trying to sell it for 500.00. to me this equals that they dont know fuck all about guns.
    My computer once beat me at Chess but it was no match for me at Kick Boxing

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by bone crusher View Post
    I have found most of these guys on the forums there to be the type that dress up in cammo and look like a survivalist just to go to the gun shows toting an old 410 break down around trying to sell it for 500.00. to me this equals that they dont know fuck all about guns.
    As far as platform sites for the rifle, hit m4carbine.net or maybe 10-8 forums.

Find the place where the real people go, and there you will find good information.

Arfcom is a good place to buy and sell shit.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Kpdpipes is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by bone crusher View Post

In General Discussion..Yes the Cop-hater-fu there is strong.. THAT SAID, the Non-GD areas are pretty decent, there are buttloads of people including Industry Partners who regularlu post good, solid information. Stick to the non-GD areas and you'll do well on ARFCom.

Cochese is offline The Grand Royal
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Caveman View Post
    I have one, fine weapon absolutely no problems with it.
    I don't own one but curiosity got the best of me as I'd never heard of it. Just checked out the website. Looks pretty cool, actually.

Thread Information