Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Checkman is offline What's the nearest cross street?
    Verified LEO

Bought a Manuhrin MR-73 revolver today.

Well today after many years of looking and wondering how the hell I was going to pay for an Manuhrin MR-73 revolver I finally got one today. It's in 357 magnum and has a four inch barrel with adjustable sights.
    The previous owner was a shooter (he passed a way a few months ago from Cancer) and there is holster wear to the finish, but it's a beautifully made revolver. Very high quality with a truly amazing action.All the research I've done states that the MR-73 is a hellishly strong revolver. Even stronger than the Ruger revolvers. Evidently it takes twelve days of handfitting at the factory before an MR-73 or it's smaller caliber siblings (32 caliber and 22LR) are shipped from the factory.

The blueing is so deep it's black in appearance. The cylinder and crane are designed to be removed with just the simple loosening of a screw. Which is nice for cleaning purposes. All in all it's a very well though out and handsomely made revolver.

Evidently the one I got (in it's current conditon) lists at $1,500 in the Blue Book. Brand new (if you can find one in the U.S.A.) would sell for somewhere in the range of $2,500.

Well this is Southwestern Idaho not Houston. So it was priced at $900. Which is still pretty damm pricey. It's been in my local gunstore for approximately six months and I get the impression I was the only guy who was consistently eyeballing it. I guess the price tag and the fact that it's French drove people away.

Yesterday the gunshop owner said that since the owner had passed away it was now his and he wanted it to move. Which meant trade. So I traded a couple S&W .357 magnum revolvers and a 12 gauge shotgun. I didn't pay anything and the shop owner is happy. His inventory has been gutted by the recent gun buying frenzy and he would rather have several lower priced handguns that he knows will move instead of one fancy French handgun that will keep taking up space in his display cabinet for many more months.
    I can always get another S&W revolver. So there you go. I go to the range Monday.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Verified LEO
    The damm site won't let my download my photos and they're within the limit.

Okay I guess I was wrong. All the photos I can find are JPG and over the limit allowed. I'm not computer literate so I don't know how to change them. Perhaps somebody can help me out. Sorry.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    upload them to photobucket or tinypic then copy and paste the image code
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Post them to a photo host like photobucket. You can also edit them for size there.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Verified LEO

Did it. Still won't download the image. Now what? Oh never mind. There it is. Okay this is a photo of an MR-73 with a three inch barrel. However with the difference of one inch it's exactly like mine right down to the rubber grips. Think I'll go the Numrich and order the wooden grips as well. I like to have a selection of grips available.

Morris is offline Chief Wheaties Pisser
    Verified LEO
    MR-73 were THE pistol of the French SWAT teams for a long time. I remember when they were being imported into the US some years back at $300 apiece. Should have bought them but I was young and poorer.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Morris View Post
    MR-73 were THE pistol of the French SWAT teams for a long time. I remember when they were being imported into the US some years back at $300 apiece. Should have bought them but I was young and poorer.
    I know. I remeber looking at a Colt Python back in 1987 that was priced at $270.00 - or something like that. That was a great price back then, but I was nineteen and a sophmore in college. It might as well been $1,270. Now of course they are going for that much. Ugh.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Morris View Post
    As I recall, they got the idea from our Secret Service, but would not purchase an American made weapon.

Collaboration with the French National Police, which thank god have little in common with the French soldier.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

bayern is online now Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Something like these???

Manurhin MR-73 - with 3" (Gendarmerie) and 5 1/4" (Sport) barrels

Type: Double Action
    Chamber: .357 Magnum (also 9x19mm Luger/Para)
    Weight unloaded: 910 g (3" barrel) or 1050 g (5.25" barrel)
    Length: 204 mm or 264 mm
    Barrel length: 76 mm (3") or 133 mm (5.25")
    Capacity: 6 rounds

MR-73 revolvers were developed by MANURHIN company of France in 1973. MR-73 is a standart issue firearm of the french Gendarmerie, as well as of some French elite law enforcement agencies (G.I.G.N., R.A.I.D. etc). MR-73 is also a favorite European sporting arm, available also in Sport and Match (.32 SW Long or .38 Spl).
    All MR-73s featured all-steel construction, designed to withstand extereme pressures. MR-73 barrels are manufactured by cold-hammering, resulting in long service life and extreme accuracy. Additional cylinders for 9x19mm Luger ammunition available as options, providing ability to use cheaper ammunition for ectensive training. All MR-73's had hand-assembled and ajusted actions, resulting very good to extremely high accuracy and high unit price. Reliability and service life of the MR-73s, combined with the match-grade accuracy, also brings it to the worlds' best service handguns class, along with SIG P-210.

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    I have owned Manurhin (Walther license) pistols - P-38, and PP. The quality is equal to the original German Walther, and certainly better than the USA built Walther/Smith&Wesson product we see today.

The (now rare) Smth & Wesson 547 in 9mm Para. was supposedly developed for the European (French) police market. It was built in 3 or 4 inch heavy barrel with a round butt on the 3 inch model. The ejector was a special design.

The German Korth 357 is equal to the Manurhin in fit and finish.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

Verified LEO
    Unfortunately Manuhrin does not import the MR73 or any of their other models into the United States. I imagine that if I ever have a part break it will be an interesting task getting a replacement. But I knew that going into the store to trade for it. I've been told that the factory will ship parts to the United States.

On the other hand if you own a Korth revolver, or have $8,000 to spend on one, there are authorized dealers across the U.S.A. The closest to me is in Sandy, Utah for example. Leave it to the Germans to be more on top of things.

The MR73 has a real rep. I'm not real sure why they aren't imported into the States. As these things go they are cheaper than the Korth and I would think that would help with sales. Are there really that many Americans buying $8,000 dollar revolvers? If so than I imagine they would jump all over the MR73 priced at the low low price of only $2,500.

Nevertheless it is a very nice revolver.

Verified LEO
    Actually, they were imported into the US about 10 years ago by Century Arms. With a C&R, I used to get the flyers. Beaut guns that CAI had.

Verified LEO
    Okay here a couple photos of the MR73 that I now own. I've learned some more since I got it. Evidently from 1980 - 1992 COBRA (Austria's police anti-terrorist unit) carried the MR73. COBRA then switched to the GLOCK 17. Anyway all the COBRA MR73's were bought by some importer, shipped into the U.S. and sold off. I believe this because my example has holster wear and the hammer and trigger are not "strawed" or gold colored. Makes me think that an elite tactical police unit might not want a revolver with shiney gold parts on it. Took it to the range last Monday and it was very impressive. Very accurate and the trigger action is beautiful. Definetly not a safe queen. Not the pampered high end revolver of a rich man. Suppose you could say that it earned it's keep. As a cop I actually like the idea that this revolver was carried by a cop at one time.
    Attached Images Attached Images

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I was in Paris a few years ago, and got to talking with a French cop. He and his partner had MR 73s in thier holsters. He asked what I carried and I told him that I carried a Beretta 96. (That's what I was issued at the time) I said something about his revolver, and he indignantly replied, "Well, it's better zan ze Engish! They carry nothing!" I assured him there was nothing wrong with his revolver and that I meant no offense. I've heard nothing but good about the MR73. As an "Old school" type guy, I still have an affinity for the 6-shooter.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by keith720 View Post
    I was in Paris a few years ago, and got to talking with a French cop. He and his partner had MR 73s in thier holsters. He asked what I carried and I told him that I carried a Beretta 96. (That's what I was issued at the time) I said something about his revolver, and he indignantly replied, "Well, it's better zan ze Engish! They carry nothing!" I assured him there was nothing wrong with his revolver and that I meant no offense. I've heard nothing but good about the MR73. As an "Old school" type guy, I still have an affinity for the 6-shooter.
    I am very proud of the U.S.A. and a big supporter of American gun makers, but the MR73 is a very well made revolver. Maybe one day I'll come across a Korth revolver. I'd like to be able to handle one of those.

Verified LEO
    The funny thing is, the French National Police also carried Ruger roll marked SP101s as well for some time.

Oh well, glad to see the Napoleonic complex is still alive and well.

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Checkman View Post
    I believe this because my example has holster wear and the hammer and trigger are not "strawed" or gold colored. Makes me think that an elite tactical police unit might not want a revolver with shiney gold parts on it.
    I would guess that normal wear and tear would cause this. Also, because of the color, what kind of metal is this revolver made of?

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Verified LEO
    I'm not a metalurgist. All I can tell you is the company uses very hard, high quality steel I've also been told that the company uses steel made from Swedish iron ore. Supposedly it's some of the highest quality iron ore in the world. Sorry best I can do. If you read French here are some articles about the company and it's firearms. Me I don't read French but I like to look at pictures.

http://www.littlegun.be/arme%20franc...urhin%20gb.htm

CTR man is offline Officer First Class
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    No can do on the French for me either, and my computer translator doesn't want to do the page. Unless I type everything in manually. It won't even let me cut and paste. It must be a pdf file or something similar since it appears to be a picture of a magazine article. Nice pics though.

Choose The Right. When you're doing whats right, then you have nothing to worry about.

Not a LEO

In memory of Sgt. Howard K. Stevenson 1965 - 2005. Ceres Police Dept.
    In memory of Robert N. Panos 1955 - 2008 Ceres Police Dept.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

Thread Information