Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Drico is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO

Off-Duty Carry and concealment

Ok ..boys and girls, I just went down to my agency today and picked up my Firearms ID and permit and so naturally the wheels are spinning and I'm looking to pick up an off-duty weapon that is ideal for carry and concealment.

Here is a list of possible handguns based on feedback and some that I found online, most of all I need all you 'gun' guru's to chime in and remember first and foremost it needs to be easily concealed off duty and I'm going with either a .40 or .45 cal round.

Here goes...all feedback welcome....

Smith and Wesson M&P .40

Beretta PX4

Sig-Sauer P229 and P239

Springfield Armory XD in compact or subcompact...

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    What do you carry on duty?
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    What's your duty gun?

Go for whatever's closest. Least learning curve, least chance of screw-ups under pressure.

My duty gun is a Glock 22. My off-duty/concealed gun is a Glock 27. Same gun, only smaller.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I carry my duty gun, Glock 22 off duty. I have a very comfortable holster for it and I don't have to worry about compatibility with my training.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Cochese is offline The Grand Royal
    Verified LEO
    Love my EMP 9mm.

Get one in .40

Verified LEO
    We carry the H&K USP .45 on-duty...its a great gun and I love it...from what I hear H&K makes a compact .45 but I also here that it's a bit too big still for concealment purposes....

Dave

hybrid is offline Corporal
    I carry a Springfield XDM .40 on duty and an XD .40 subcompact off duty. Love em both.
    "In God we trust. All others we run through NCIC."

www.myspace.com/egtrix

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by hybrid View Post
    I carry a Springfield XDM .40 on duty and an XD .40 subcompact off duty. Love em both.

I've always heard good things about the XD line, I will definitely check it out when it comes time to buy. What holster do you utilize for your subcompact while off duty?

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Drico View Post
    I've always heard good things about the XD line, I will definitely check it out when it comes time to buy. What holster do you utilize for your subcompact while off duty?
    The best, most comfortable, and most concealable holster I've ever used.

Crossbreed Holsters > Home
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    The thread directly under yours is selling an H&K compact.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Bob Loblaw is offline Dwayne Elizondo Mountain Dew Herbert Camacho
    Verified LEO
    I've been salivating over the Sig P239 SAS lately...a great sized (both in length and width) for CCW, plus it's available in 40. Of course, I'm a Sig guy, so I'm a bit biased....but it's a beaut!

http://www.collectors-society-slabs.com/239/239sas.jpg
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna
    he (Obama) doesn't have a birth certificate because he wasn't born, he was created in a Muslim witch's cauldron!
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    I must admit, there have been few pieces of meat I've ever jammed into my mouth that have been as satisfying as Bob's.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gecko45 "The Mall Ninja"
    Vietnam still shudders when it hears the name of a an assasin so skillful and deadly, he is remembered decades later
    Reca is the best thing since sliced bread!

ANI4ANI is offline Served my city 1972-1997
    Verified LEO
    Unless you spot something different from those you listed, my best guess for you is look at the compact XD model. Not sure how it compares in size with the SigSauer P239 to conceal. My P229 is (for me) a little heavy for off-duty. Are you set on an auto only? Is a .357 revolver out of the question?
    As today's police officers you are not unlike your counterparts of years past. You are an elite group of select members, a brotherhood of highly trained professionals, who are called upon to protect your community in a time of need. Guardians for safety. Being a police officer is not for the faint of heart. You must be honest, trustworthy and fearless in the face of evil. You are being watched everyday. Represent yourself, your department and the shield, for it should always be the embodiment of all that is good and justly. You are the thin blue line. Be proud, be tough and be safe.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by ANI4ANI View Post
    Unless you spot something different from those you listed, my best guess for you is look at the compact XD model. Not sure how it compares in size with the SigSauer P239 to conceal. My P229 is (for me) a little heavy for off-duty. Are you set on an auto only? Is a .357 revolver out of the question?
    I was focusing mainly on auto's...ani...don't have much experience with revolvers at all.

Sig 239 looks like a beautiful piece..I want to get the opportunity to handle one and see how it feels in my hand, my armorer recommended checking out the Smith and Wesson M&P's...in a .40...

I keep coming back to the XD line for some reason, without having put any rounds on target it just seems like an accurate gun and I suspect easy to handle. Maybe I'm behind on the times but they are going to be releasing an XD(M) in a .40 version..but we'll see how well it would be for conceal and carry purposes.

NC Bullseye is offline Officer First Class
    I prefer Glock but I think an XD in some flavor would be my second choice. I've had students that rave about them and have done well with them.

As to holster, before you decide check out Comp-Tac. Their C-Tac is about the thinnest most comfortable holster for IWB carry. The adjustment capabilities are great too.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The HK compact should be looked at.

Remember that the job of an off duty gun is not to be comfortable, but comforting in a real fight.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

HudsonHawk is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Since you haven't graduated the academy yet, I would recommend holding off on a firearm for now. I know a few guys who's careers ended early and the causes were all from guns, alcohol, women or a combination thereof. You should be fine if you're responsible and use common sense, but I felt I should mention it, especially for a new guy.

If the duty weapon is too large for you to conceal my first thought is to get a compact version of the same pistol. The USP is a nice weapon. You'll already have the training and experience of handling it, so as mentioned above there will be less of a chance of error when you have to use it under pressure in a RL SHTF situation. I personally carry a sub-compact Glock in the same caliber as my duty weapon. Magazines are interchangeable and I'm a bit quicker getting a site picture and firing accurately with it, compared to my other guns, due to the fact that I carry it daily and practice more with it.

If you're looking for a used gun there are a few bargains here in the Firearms forum, and you can do a search for Side Gig - there are a bunch of NYPD guys selling off duty firearms there. Of course you would have to go through an FFL being from NJ. I'm not sure how big your department is, but here when some guys retire they sell their guns.
    "never bring paws to a gunfight" - Jenna

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Don't forget, HK makes a sub compact (the SK) that is available in 9mm, .40, and .357 sig
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Sapper_132 is offline Master Turd Cutter
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I carry a 1911 on and off duty.
    Just because your sign off after you're shift is done, doesn't mean that it's over and put blinders on. You're a cop 24/7 wether you like it or not. If thats something you can't handle, you should find a new line of work!

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by vengeance05 View Post
    Since you haven't graduated the academy yet, I would recommend holding off on a firearm for now. I know a few guys who's careers ended early and the causes were all from guns, alcohol, women or a combination thereof. You should be fine if you're responsible and use common sense, but I felt I should mention it, especially for a new guy.

If the duty weapon is too large for you to conceal my first thought is to get a compact version of the same pistol. The USP is a nice weapon. You'll already have the training and experience of handling it, so as mentioned above there will be less of a chance of error when you have to use it under pressure in a RL SHTF situation. I personally carry a sub-compact Glock in the same caliber as my duty weapon. Magazines are interchangeable and I'm a bit quicker getting a site picture and firing accurately with it, compared to my other guns, due to the fact that I carry it daily and practice more with it.

If you're looking for a used gun there are a few bargains here in the Firearms forum, and you can do a search for Side Gig - there are a bunch of NYPD guys selling off duty firearms there. Of course you would have to go through an FFL being from NJ. I'm not sure how big your department is, but here when some guys retire they sell their guns.
    Thanks for the advice and the heads up, I plan on being very responsible and smart about my dealings with any type of firearm especially being in the academy. My wife does a very good job of making sure I stay out of trouble..lmao!

I'll look into the H&K ..valid points are being made and I appreciate it immensely. Thanks for everyone who took the time to chime in.

Dave

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    The best, most comfortable, and most concealable holster I've ever used.

Crossbreed Holsters > Home
    I've seen the webesite for the holster and thought about buying one, but didn't know anyone who had one. With your recommendation, I think I will get one. Thanks!
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -Thomas Jefferson

That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants. Jeff Cooper'

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information