Welcome to the APBWeb.
    121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

Exclamation WTS: POF-USA 16" FLUTED 1:8 5.56 GAS PISTON UPPER

I'm selling a complete Patriot Ordnance (POF-USA) gas piston UPPER ONLY. This upper shipped as part of a complete rifle, the DS Arms Z4 Gas Trap Carbine (AR GTC Gas Trap Carbine with C.R.O.S., 5.56 NATO - DSZM4GTC-D S Arms). This was one of the first piston AR's to hit the market sometime in 2006. The rifle retailed (and still does) for $1800. The price, IMO, is still reflective of 2006 pricing, but is still on par with full rifles from POF-USA. Here are the specs:

5.56 NATO
    16” M4-profile chrome lined heavy barrel, fluted for weight reduction and heat dissipation
    1:8 twist (website specs and articles call it a 1:9 twist, but it's stamped 1:8)
    Mil-spec flattop upper with billet charging handle
    Chrome-lined picatinny gas block with removable, fixed front sight
    Silicon-nickel plated gas plug and piston
    Silicon-nickel plated bolt and carrier, extractor, cam, and firing pin
    Predator P4X free float rail system (This system is now referred to as the MRR - Modular Railed Receiver in newer branding, but is essentially the same system.)

I have had this upper since mid-2007. Since that time, I've only put about 1200 rounds through it during training days, casual shooting, etc. I can't think of a single malfunction I've had with it. Prior to that, it was taken through one Gunsite (Arizona) tactical school where it had about 2000 rounds put through it by the buddy/shiftmate I bought it from. I'm told it performed flawlessly there too.

Let me be clear, I love this upper. I've never had a single problem with it. And the hype is true...the operating parts don't get nearly as hot during high-stress conditions, and the fouling is almost a non-issue. I'm only replacing it with a short-barrel piston system for patrol use. Also, it should be noted that this is a real-deal piston upper...not a cobbled together conversion. All of the parts were specifically made for a piston impingement system. This is an anti-tilt carrier, with more surface area riding on the receiver walls to prevent the upward tilt found in altered gas-carriers. Some more refinements are noted in this Guns and Weapons for LE article. http://www.dsarms.com/pdf/DSArmsGTC.pdf

I can't find this specific upper, kitted this way on POF's site. Again, this is probably due to it being mated to a DS Arms lower as part of the DS Arms Z4 GTC. The closest thing I can find to it on POF's site is the P415-MRR-223 upper. (POF-USA Patriot Ordnance Factory, Inc.) There are a couple differences I can see, with the rail system extending over the gas block, and some of the stamping. Rest assured though, the upper for sale here is 100% POF...it's stamped POF, as is the bolt carrier, the barrel, and the rail system.

The P415 linked above retails for $1375. Obviously, the upper for sale has about 3.2K rounds through it, has some associated wear and tear, and isn't stamped with the newer Tacti-Cool branding of the newer POF stuff. I'm asking for $900 OBO for this one. I wanted to offer it to O/R before I start looking at GunBroker or other avenues. This is a chance to own a POF piston upper (one of the pricier brands) for nearly $500 off MSRP! Plus, with sale to a Verified LEO, and since this is an upper only (with no serial number), I can ship it directly to you...no FFL required.

BUIS and EOTech aren't included in the list price, but you can make an offer on them if you like. EOTech has a GG&G throw lever mount!

Here's a couple pictures. Any questions, just ask!

"If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Cochese is offline The Grand Royal
    Verified LEO
    121, email sent to my brother in law (LEO in your county) who is looking at piston uppers.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Thanks! I'll pass the word around on your USP too.
    "If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Thread Information