Welcome to the APBWeb.
    CT209 is offline Once..... Forever
    Verified LEO

Appleseed Project

Appleseed Project Home

Anyone ever go to one of these courses?
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

Old Scottish Motto- "nemo me impune laccessit". It still holds true today.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Interesting. I have actually not heard of the course.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Haven't been yet, but plan to go with the oldest boy soon.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Diesel326 has his patch. I would like to do it also.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    My wife and I just signed up for one. It should be interesting. If it's any good, my daughter-in-law says she wants to go to one.

My grandson would probably like to go also, but as he's only three, I guess we'll have to wait a few more years before he gets to attend.
    "When a crime is committed, liberals blame society. Conservatives blame the criminal." -Debra Saunders

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    My son is going to be 8 in July, let me know about what you see when you get there!
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    My son is going to be 8 in July, let me know about what you see when you get there!

Kids and LEOs shoot free. Just bring a gun and ammo.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    Kids and LEOs shoot free. Just bring a gun and ammo.
    I'd pay for the boy and me - I believe in the concept.

In fact, I think the concept is spiritually American.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    I'd pay for the boy and me - I believe in the concept.

In fact, I think the concept is spiritually American.
    It is. The next time I am at the training center I will grab you a brochure.

Verified LEO
    I didn't notice it was free for LEOs. It is for women. Oh well, $70 for me is still worth it. I don't mind throwing that much to an organization like that one. They sound to be a worthwhile one with good goals. If it is a good course, I will donate to them. I did sign both of us as associate members in the RWVA.

My main concern is that my wife will shoot the course better than me. It'll be hard to live that down.

DIESEL326 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Correction on Five-O's free LEO detail... That actually only applies at the venue we host at the Sheriff's Office Training Facility in Columbiana. But, it is something that could catch on throughout the program.

I am an Instructor in Training with the Appleseed Project, and as noted, it is a very worthwhile cause. It is a great opportunity to learn about the intestinal fortitude that our forefathers had in standing up for what they believed. And it is also an absolutely excellent course in rifle marksmanship. Not to toot my horn, but I have been through a very high quality Basic Sniper Course, Blackwater Advanced Sniper, and a handful of other sniper courses, but I learned more about basic marksmanship at my first Appleseed than at any of the other courses I've taken. I believe that happened because at Appleseed, it is the shooter and his rifle... No bipods, sandbags, artificial supports, etc. It forces you to know yourself, your rifle, and good solid shooting positions that utilize the sling as your support system. I guarantee that if you guys go, you will learn a lot about not only marksmanship but your heritage as an American too. It is worth every penny.
    "Aim small, miss small."

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESEL326 View Post
    Correction on Five-O's free LEO detail... That actually only applies at the venue we host at the Sheriff's Office Training Facility in Columbiana. But, it is something that could catch on throughout the program.
    This is why he gets paid the big bucks.

Madmax is offline Junior Member
    I was asked to chime in.

In short, appleseed is a great way to learn about you, your rifle, and America. Its an excellent program with great instructors, who were at one time, just "Joe Shooter".

What it is:
    Rifle fundamentals over a span of 2 days; sitting, standing, and prone position shooting. Dial in your scopes or irons. Speed loading, trigger control, breathing, sight picture, sling use. It is fast shooting, but they work you up to it, and the difficulty of course, is getting it in the itty bitty targets. (its really tiny).

What it is not:
    Tactical course of fire; it is not magpul dynamics, nor MDTS, Blackwater, etc.There is no moving and shooting.

Comparison: Appleseed is like Highpower shooting; except without the attitude. Most everyone is new there, and people bring all sorts of gear; I've seen M1A's, AR15's, Ruger 10/22's, Bolt action 22's, lever actions, one person even bought a repro Browning BAR. Some are iron sights, some are scoped.

Bring the wife, bring the GF, bring the kids, bring friends. Everyone picks up new skills. Its a lot of fun, you meet a lot of "like minded" individuals in your area.

DIESEL326 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Well there you go... Madmax knocks it out of the park!!!
    "Aim small, miss small."

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    That sounds like fun.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Verified LEO
    Well.... the Appleseed Shoot went and I... me... the expert rifle rifleman for four years in a row while in the Corps and expert for another 18 with the ARNG failed . I was outraged. I was upset.

My best score was a 194. As it turns out, my new glasses seem to present a ghost image on the front sight. Since I have used an Aimpoint for the last 2- 4 years, I haven't been using my iron sights. Going to this, I took off the Aimpoint and used my iron sights.

Now... I'm seeing two front sights. And I don't know which is the actual sight. And they are both fuzzy. Not a good start into a two day rifle course.

By the time Sunday rolled around, I finally figured out I can still shoot a rifle pretty accurately, but I need to talk to the glass doctor and work out this focal point thing. Likely, she'll try to sell me on trifocals again. They sucked when she gave them to me 5 years ago, so I'll probably have to say no.

Two very positive aspects to the weekend.

One was that one of the instructors asked me if I used a computer. I said, "All of the time." He asked if I wore my glasses when I did. I don't. I take them off and move my body/head to my focal point. He suggested I bring that up to the eye doctor. Currently, my near sight is adjusted for normal book reading distance which ain't the front sight on a AR-15.

Never thought of that as I use the Aimpoint. Also our PD qual is 50 yards and in, so an excellent front post isn't a major issue. It's kind of hard to miss a man-sized target at 50 yards or closer. But- that is just an excuse. I ended up being shamed- to the point I've gone to the range twice after the shoot. I'm working out the eye glass thing. I have an appointment on sep-1 and we'll see if my doctor is capable of understanding what I need. Non-shooting doctors may not- in which case, I'll hunt around and find one that will.

Two was that my wife shot very well. I had gone through the basics with her on AR weapons handling quite a few times. She's a handgun shooter, and she understood the differences in the manipulation of the Bushmaster she was using. There are different things you have to be concerned to handle a rifle (granted the four safety rules always apply0and she is very safe (but she always is)nd quickly picked up on the handling the rifle like a pro. Heck, she did have a misfire and did the whole misfire drill quicker than I have ever seen. She was spot on. Some things she listens to. It may have been all that dry-fire in the living room where I used dummy rounds, but she was good.

But... and it's a big one.... she and I butt heads with training. I guess it's a common problem trying to teach your wife something. Maybe I teach at a higher level and expect her to know stuff, but she complained that all of the stuff the Appleseed instructor told her finally made sense. (Thank God for him- she finally grasped a lot more of the basic concept). I didn't think I explained it any different, but I know better than to argue with her.

Bottom line is that she shot the AR great. She had only shot it two times before we went. She shot a 189 as her best score.

All total- we're going to do it again. Great experience and the instructors are spot on. The range is run safely- perfect environment. I will get that rifleman patch. So will my wife. And my daughter-in-law wants to take the course, so she'll get that patch also. Count on it!

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CT209 View Post
    Two was that my wife shot very well.
    You don't need to shoot well, then--she can protect you!

Interceptor is offline Rifleman
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I can't believe that I just noticed this thread today. I am a certified instructor (Red Hat). I have been participating in the program for 3 summers now.
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESEL326 View Post
    Correction on Five-O's free LEO detail... That actually only applies at the venue we host at the Sheriff's Office Training Facility in Columbiana. But, it is something that could catch on throughout the program. .
    Well, it has caught on...
    There has been a recent change where ALL LEOs now shoot free nation wide.

Interceptor is offline Rifleman
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    We just had a 10 year old shoot very well at an Appleseed. We moved everyone to 100 yards in the afternoon on Sunday and even this young man was making solid hits. This was the first shoot I have been to where no one brought a center fire. We had one gentleman who was able to group all of his shots in a 6-8" group off-hand. With the wind blowing a bit shooting a .22, it was definitely notable.

Thread Information