Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Getting a 10mm

Ace
    Ace is offline haud pacis pro scelestus
    Verified LEO

Getting a 10mm

So I ordered a Glock 29 compact 10mm. Does anybody on here have one? If so how do you like it? What ammo do you use?
    RIP Sarah Noll~11-8-87 to 4-17-08

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    What ammo do you use?
    More than likely 10mm.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Ace
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain America View Post
    More than likely 10mm.
    Indeed. I was thinking along the lines of what brand/ loads ie Double Tap 200 gr...

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I have no experience with the 10mm other than a brief day at the range.

What do you plan to do with it?
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Ace
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post

Well I'm hoping it will serve the dual purpose of being my off duty cc gun as well as a serviceable backpacking piece. I know a .44 or .454 would be ideal for back country stuff, I just don't have the funds for two guns right now.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator

He probably wants to shoot some moose.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Well I'm hoping it will serve the dual purpose of being my off duty cc gun as well as a serviceable backpacking piece. I know a .44 or .454 would be ideal for back country stuff, I just don't have the funds for two guns right now.
    From what I can see in ballistic tables, might work just fine for that!
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Ace
    Verified LEO
    I prefer to run them over.

Ace
    Verified LEO
    From what I can see in ballistic tables, might work just fine for that!
    There's a round by Buffalo Bore that is 1200 fps/ 700 ft lbs. Double Tap and CorBon have some pretty heavy loads too.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I have a Glock 20. It's a great gun. If I do my part I can hit the 500 yard metal gong at the range with it regulary with el cheapo practice ammo. For hollow points I've only had access to Winchester silver tips and Corbon. I've haven't done any tests with those rounds though Other then making sure the cycle. I've heard good things about double tap ammo but have also heard their QC has been suffering lately. I haven't tried any of their ammo so I couldn't tell you one way or another. If you plan on carrying the G29 get a couple G20 mags for reloads as that will give you more rounds for a mosse whne your car isn't available
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Ace
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    I have a Glock 20. It's a great gun. If I do my part I can hit the 500 yard metal gong at the range with it regulary with el cheapo practice ammo. For hollow points I've only had access to Winchester silver tips and Corbon. I've haven't done any tests with those rounds though Other then making sure the cycle. I've heard good things about double tap ammo but have also heard their QC has been suffering lately. I haven't tried any of their ammo so I couldn't tell you one way or another. If you plan on carrying the G29 get a couple G20 mags for reloads as that will give you more rounds for a mosse whne your car isn't available
    lol... I was looking at the Winchester rounds, those and the Hornady 200 grain were the cheapest available.

11001001 is offline Bona fide Cybercop
    Verified LEO
    Just West of Beantown, though nobody from Beantown actually calls it Beantown.
    For that, you need this:

In Memoriam: Officer James C. McBride, MPDC - EOW 8-15-2005

This product is meant for educational purposes only. Any resemblance to real persons, living or dead is purely coincidental. Void where prohibited. Some assembly required. List each check separately by bank number. Batteries not included. Contents may settle during shipment. Use only as directed. No other warranty expressed or implied. Do not use while operating a motor vehicle or heavy equipment. Postage will be paid by addressee. Subject to CAB approval. This is not an offer to sell securities. Apply only to affected area. May be too intense for some viewers. Do not stamp. Use other side for additional listings. For recreational use only. Do not disturb. All models over 18 years of age. If condition persists, consult your physician. No user-serviceable parts inside. Freshest if eaten before date on carton. Subject to change without notice. Times approximate. Simulated picture. No postage necessary if mailed in the United States. Please remain seated until the ride has come to a complete stop. Breaking seal constitutes acceptance of agreement. For off-road use only. As seen on TV. One size fits all. Many suitcases look alike. Contains a substantial amount of non-tobacco ingredients. Colors may, in time, fade. We have sent the forms which seem right for you. Slippery when wet. For office use only. Not affiliated with the American Red Cross. Drop in any mailbox. Edited for television. Keep cool; process promptly. Post office will not deliver without postage. List was current at time of printing. May cause abdominal cramping and loose stools. Vitamins A, D, E, and K have been added. Not designed or intended for use in on-line control of aircraft, air traffic, aircraft navigation or aircraft communications; or in the design, construction, operation or maintenance of any nuclear facility. Container may explode if heated. May contain traces of various nuts and seeds. Opinions expressed are solely those of the provider, and no other endorsement should be assumed or inferred.

spcwes is offline Wookie!!!!
    Verified LEO
    DoubleTap Ammunition

hehe, I can tell you right now this is like touching off a freaking nuke from experience..........

Also if you are in backcountry what if needed would be something you might shoot with it? we talking bears?

Edited to add: Make sure you check with the manufacturer about using their ammo in glocks. Most of the heavy loads you will come across are cast bullets and glocks do not do well with those and will tell you in person, on the phone or in writing that they do not recommend using cast bullets of any kind in their weapons.
    STOP RESISTING!!!!

For he is God's servant to do you good, but if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

The opinions expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions of my Agency or my Agency Heads.

Ace
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by spcwes View Post
    DoubleTap Ammunition

hehe, I can tell you right now this is like touching off a freaking nuke from experience..........

Also if you are in backcountry what if needed would be something you might shoot with it? we talking bears?

Edited to add: Make sure you check with the manufacturer about using their ammo in glocks. Most of the heavy loads you will come across are cast bullets and glocks do not do well with those and will tell you in person, on the phone or in writing that they do not recommend using cast bullets of any kind in their weapons.
    I'm not much of a ammo expert, what will cast bullets do to a glock? That particular DT round you linked to cites the Glock 20 when it gives the ballistics, is that what you shot?

Ace
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by spcwes View Post
    Yeah we have lots of Brownies around. Nothing like the Kodiaks, but they can still get up to 8 foot/ 1000 pounds depending on where you go.

Interceptor is offline Rifleman
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    There's a round by Buffalo Bore that is 1200 fps/ 700 ft lbs. Double Tap and CorBon have some pretty heavy loads too.
    Those ballistics are for a 5" barrel. With your Glock 29 you would likely see a loss of a little over 100fps and 100ft lbs which will still get the job done at close range in an emergency. It would not be my first choice for a 1000lb bear, but it is better than a sharp stick...
    There have been a few 500ish lb bears taken around here with 10mm and standard hollow points. These have been all 6" barrels as the minimum barrel length in WI for Deer, Bear and Elk is 5.5" from muzzle to firing pin.

Ace
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
    Those ballistics are for a 5" barrel. With your Glock 29 you would likely see a loss of a little over 100fps and 100ft lbs which will still get the job done at close range in an emergency. It would not be my first choice for a 1000lb bear, but it is better than a sharp stick...
    There have been a few 500ish lb bears taken around here with 10mm and standard hollow points. These have been all 6" barrels as the minimum barrel length in WI for Deer, Bear and Elk is 5.5" from muzzle to firing pin.
    Good info. 600+ ft lbs is still pretty good though. I'm def not going to do any hunting with it, so any bear I would shoot with it would be at very close range. Eventually I'll get a Ruger Super Redhawk, but for now I'm hoping for this to do the trick.

EDIT: They used hollow points for bear? I've always heard to use a hardcast or FMJ for bear.

Interceptor is offline Rifleman
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    EDIT: They used hollow points for bear? I've always heard to use a hardcast or FMJ for bear.
    Black bear isn't really a dangerous game unless you get between a sow and her cubs. Most of the time when hit, they run away to die. Maybe the guys I have met locally have been lucky but none have lost a bear that they hit. I would rather use a .30-30 than a 10mm for bear. It is great to have a dual purpose pistol, but if you are serious about hunting it pays to at least get a single action Ruger in a Magnum caliber for the $350-400 used they can be typically found for. Right now I know of at least 3 Super Redhawks for around $500 used in .480, .454 and .44 Mag.

Ace
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Interceptor View Post
    Black bear isn't really a dangerous game unless you get between a sow and her cubs. Most of the time when hit, they run away to die. Maybe the guys I have met locally have been lucky but none have lost a bear that they hit. I would rather use a .30-30 than a 10mm for bear. It is great to have a dual purpose pistol, but if you are serious about hunting it pays to at least get a single action Ruger in a Magnum caliber for the $350-400 used they can be typically found for. Right now I know of at least 3 Super Redhawks for around $500 used in .480, .454 and .44 Mag.
    Yeah ideally when I have the funds I'll get a large bore mag. I actually do not do any hunting for the time being, just alot of outdoor stuff, hiking, snowmachining etc. When I do pick up hunting again, I'll definitely make sure to have a bigger gun to fall back on. The moose up here are just as dangerous, if not more dangerous then a brownie.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Interceptor is correct.

Killing bears is about penetration, not muzzle energy.

Garrett Cartridges has an excellent explanation on their web site. http://www.garrettcartridges.com/031000.asp

(disclaimer, I buy and use Garrett products.)
    I'm your huckleberry...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information