Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Ar-15 Upgrades

StoleIt is offline Officer First Class

Ar-15 Upgrades

Well decided to go all tactilol on my Ar. I also have a Harris Bipod, but it's not pictured.

First built:

Tacilol:

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Nice. Explain the problems you are having with some of your other accessories. I'm betting you will find some help from some knowledgeable guys here.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Got it all figured out.

I was scratching my noggin for a while trying to figure out how to best get those rail covers on. I was trying to lift them up and over the rail, well that doesn't work. Ended up having to walk em on left to right, instead of top to bottom like I was trying.

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Gotcha, just saw your post on SSU.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Bipod is probably wasted on a rifle that holds 2 minutes of angle at best.

You've got a scope on there, but a forward grip - sort of like a combo between a short range gun and a long range gun.

If it were me, I'd change out the optic to something you could use for both.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    Bipod is probably wasted on a rifle that holds 2 minutes of angle at best.

You've got a scope on there, but a forward grip - sort of like a combo between a short range gun and a long range gun.

If it were me, I'd change out the optic to something you could use for both.

I really built this to start off as an all around gun. And I am slowly turning it into a distance shooter.

But yea I will be pulling the trigger (pun intended) on an Aimpoint M2 pretty soon. So the gun will be a jack of all trades.

Eventually I will snag another upper (14.5 or shorter) and make a CQB gun.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by StoleIt View Post
    I really built this to start off as an all around gun. And I am slowly turning it into a distance shooter.

But yea I will be pulling the trigger (pun intended) on an Aimpoint M2 pretty soon. So the gun will be a jack of all trades.

Eventually I will snag another upper (14.5 or shorter) and make a CQB gun.
    Roger - not dissing your gun ElTee, just offering a bit of experienced observation.

If you plan to stay with the optic for some time, read up on the Bindon aiming concept and see what you can pull off on low magnification.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Roger - not dissing your gun ElTee, just offering a bit of experienced observation.

If you plan to stay with the optic for some time, read up on the Bindon aiming concept and see what you can pull off on low magnification.
    Oh no insult taken. I realize the irony of me trying to take like a 3-4 MOA gun and make it a distance shooter. Just using it to work down better habbit patterns, trigger pull, breathing, etc.

Cheaper to shoot than .308 or 30-06 for a future M1A or R700 (which are all on my to do list).

Bindon? I will read up on that. This Nikon goes up to 12 zoom, but it isn't a mildot it has a bullet drop compensator and thats pretty foreign to me. So I'll be getting used to that.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Bindon? I will read up on that. This Nikon goes up to 12 zoom, but it isn't a mildot it has a bullet drop compensator and thats pretty foreign to me. So I'll be getting used to that.
    Next time you are over dealing with the red hats, ask them about it, too.

Dial the zoom down to the lowest setting for best results. Some scopes will go low enough, some won't.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Ahh both eyes open? Shiet that will take some practice.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Ahh both eyes open? Shiet that will take some practice.
    El Tee, you don't close one eye when you fly, do ya?

We don't do that on the ground, either.
    I'm your huckleberry...

El Tee, you don't close one eye when you fly, do ya?

We don't do that on the ground, either.
    lol

I'll try. It's gonna be tough though. It's pretty much a conditioned response at this point.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Where is the light?
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Interceptor is offline Rifleman
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Bipod is probably wasted on a rifle that holds 2 minutes of angle at best..
    I haven't met an AR which would not hold sub 2MOA with ammo it likes, but I haven't shot any of the truly cheap ones out there either. I picked up a new DPMS Sportical flat top brand new for less than $600 and even that held near 1.5 Minute groups easily. A bipod is a more useful accessory than a forward grip for me.

I realize the irony of me trying to take like a 3-4 MOA gun and make it a distance shooter. .
    There would have to be something seriously wrong with an AR to only be capable of 3-4MOA. Any of the offerings from the mainstream brands on the market are 1.5 or better (Stag, Rock River, DPMS, Armalite, Colt, Bushmaster). Very few creep towards 2. Of course ammo selection can make it swing. Wolf 55gr FMJ can give you 3+MOA groups. Wolf 55gr HP can give sub 1.5 groups.
    I am assuming that you have a 4-12 scope. At 4 power, scope slammed forward and stock butt extended with your comb up a bit, you should be able to get a good turkey neck and cheek weld for shooting at 25M.

Interceptor is offline Rifleman
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Cheaper to shoot than .308 or 30-06 for a future M1A or R700 (which are all on my to do list).
    Don't feel like you have to rush out and get a .30 cal. From 25M to 300yds and even further, a .223 will do everything you need it to. Save your money up and get a really nice .30 cal. The better you get with your .223, the more of the potential you will get out of your .30. I wouldn't get too hung up on your BDC lines for now. If you zero your scope at 200yds(same as 50yds), depending on your ammo, you should not make more than about 2Minutes of adjustment to hit anything from zero to 300yds. What you have to remember is that those lines are a compromise and are not calibrated for your rifle. You can not zero the top line at exactly 100 or 200 yds and expect the second and 3rd line to be zeroed exactly 100 yds further. It is better to save them for less precision shooting and get proficient and comfortable with your scope elevation clicks.
    While keepng both eyes open may be ideal, it is not a deal breaker for decent shooting. Some people have a harder time than others breaking the habit of keeping one eye closed.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Closing one eye is a deal breaker at short range, but your mileage may vary.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Thread Information