Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast
    Mike325 is online now I like to ride on the fence!
    Verified LEO
    Personally, I don't generally argue with the .45 guys. There is a good enough ballistic difference between the 2 to say the .45 is "better". It's the .40 guys who just crack me up. I start by telling them the evolution of the round, then I let them know that I've actually done some research and looked at the numbers, and I finish it off by telling them there is zero ballistic difference between a 9mm and .40. Why take more recoil and lower capacity if all else is equal (it is..)

But, like you, I've seen several people shot with several different calibers. Shot placement and luck always proves to be the most important factor.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    As long as you don't get steak on it.
    we will shoot between meals
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Cochese is offline The Grand Royal
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike325 View Post
    Personally, I don't generally argue with the .45 guys. There is a good enough ballistic difference between the 2 to say the .45 is "better". It's the .40 guys who just crack me up. I start by telling them the evolution of the round, then I let them know that I've actually done some research and looked at the numbers, and I finish it off by telling them there is zero ballistic difference between a 9mm and .40. Why take more recoil and lower capacity if all else is equal (it is..)

But, like you, I've seen several people shot with several different calibers. Shot placement and luck always proves to be the most important factor.
    Fireman Mike from GT, is that you?

Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    we will shoot between meals
    There is no such thing as between meals with you.

Mike325 is online now I like to ride on the fence!
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
    Fireman Mike from GT, is that you?

Was it the .40 argument that gave me away? :P

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    First off, sweet gun.

Secondly, ditch the ALS holster. Even on the tough finishes like the Tennifer and Melonite (Glock and M&P respectively), the ALS system is messing up the finish. Hate to see that happen with a nice expensive gun. Go with the SLS platform (rotating hood). Im waiting for the approval from on high to switch from the issued ALS holster to a SLS. I used it at my last department and its secure and still lightening fast.

Thirdly, the 9mm vs big bore has lost a lot of tread with the advent of current ammo. When you only had round nose ammo, the 45 was the way to go. 9mm subsonic ammo underperforms. Some modern 9mm ammo puts up 357 mag ballistics. My department issues Winchester Ranger 9mm, and have a 100% track record of should-be-fatal hits being fatal. That being said, im a purist. Browning designed the 1911 to be a 45 handgun, so if/when I buy one, that's what it'll be.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    Why a 9mm?
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -Thomas Jefferson

That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants. Jeff Cooper'

snuffy2202 is offline JUST ANOTHER TEQUILA SUNRISE
    Verified LEO
    .............................. .......Just kidding. Nice gun!
    The strongest reason for the people to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against the tyranny of government.
    -Thomas Jefferson

That is why our masters in Washington are so anxious to disarm us. They are not afraid of criminals. They are afraid of a populace which cannot be subdued by tyrants. Jeff Cooper'

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesCopPodz View Post
    First off, sweet gun.

Secondly, ditch the ALS holster. Even on the tough finishes like the Tennifer and Melonite (Glock and M&P respectively), the ALS system is messing up the finish.
    I find it very difficult to advocate going backwards to the SLS from the ALS to save the finish.

Sorry, but guns are tools. Gorgeous tools, but remember what they are for!
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Also, nice gun! Why 9mm?

I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    I find it very difficult to advocate going backwards to the SLS from the ALS to save the finish.

Sorry, but guns are tools. Gorgeous tools, but remember what they are for!
    I don't consider it going backwards at all.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I don't consider it going backwards at all.
    I'm open to arguing the merits of the two retention systems, my main point was choosing one over the other because of finish wear.

Does that make sense?
    I'm your huckleberry...

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike325 View Post
    Was it the .40 argument that gave me away? :P
    I'm a trained observer.

I also believe I may have influenced your joining.

First off, sweet gun.

Secondly, ditch the ALS holster. Even on the tough finishes like the Tennifer and Melonite (Glock and M&P respectively), the ALS system is messing up the finish. Hate to see that happen with a nice expensive gun. Go with the SLS platform (rotating hood). Im waiting for the approval from on high to switch from the issued ALS holster to a SLS. I used it at my last department and its secure and still lightening fast.

Thirdly, the 9mm vs big bore has lost a lot of tread with the advent of current ammo. When you only had round nose ammo, the 45 was the way to go. 9mm subsonic ammo underperforms. Some modern 9mm ammo puts up 357 mag ballistics. My department issues Winchester Ranger 9mm, and have a 100% track record of should-be-fatal hits being fatal. That being said, im a purist. Browning designed the 1911 to be a 45 handgun, so if/when I buy one, that's what it'll be.
    I bought a 6280 for this bitch the same day I ordered the 6320. The ALS is okay, but I find the finish of my $3,000 to hold some weight in my decision making, like you mentioned. I also don't care for the ALS thumb I got after drawing repeatedly over three hours, nor the blister it created.

I'll be swapping my 6280 on Friday.

We carry RA9T up here too. I love 147 grain 9mm out of this gun.

Quote Originally Posted by snuffy2202 View Post
    .............................. .......Just kidding. Nice gun!
    Thanks!

I'm open to arguing the merits of the two retention systems, my main point was choosing one over the other because of finish wear.

Does that make sense?
    Mac, this bitch was expensive!

Motorwaycop is offline Retired Plod
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Not that I can add anything other than, why in god's name do you have to buy your own service weapon?
    It's like me having to buy my own patrol car!
    the sole advantage of power is that you can do more good.
    ( Baltasar Gracian )

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Motorwaycop View Post
    Not that I can add anything other than, why in god's name do you have to buy your own service weapon?
    It's like me having to buy my own patrol car!
    It's not because we have to. It's because we can
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    It's not because we have to. It's because we can
    This!

I don't care for the ragged out issued G22s we provide.

Drico is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Fuck I wish we could carry Single action off duties!...lmfao!....

My naive ass went out and spent money on an XD SC chambered in .40, now I'm somewhat regretting it. I love the gun but the .40 is just too snappy for that light framed SC, if I had to do it all over again I would have gotten it chambered in 9mm. Oh well, you live and learn and continue to buy guns..lmao! I'm looking for a 9mm for conceal carry at the moment....Glock 19 was of interest...too bad we can't carry any single action types...there goes the 1911's right out the window.

Dave

StoleIt is offline Officer First Class
    Quote Originally Posted by Cochese View Post
    I usually just tell people to go fuck a flying donut when they argue with me so I take this as a sign I'm growing as a person.

Glad I can assist.
    Hahah. Not arguing, just curious why.

A lot of people would say a 1911 in anything other than .45 is blasphemous.

CW Mock is offline Trooper
    Verified LEO
    I would carry a 9mm if they let me. It's more comfortable and affordable to shoot and train with.

.40 caliber is kind of annoying to me. It's louder, snappier and bigger around, but doesn't really seem to do anything really "better" than a 9x19mm or a .45 ACP. As a full 10mm I have some real respect for it ... but no real love for the .40. I sold every .40 I had before I went to the CSP, where they made me take one.

If I had a choice tomorrow, I would roll out with my 1911 until a G19 with night sights, tac-light and 6285 holster could be put together. Toss in some G17 mags for reloads, stoke the thing with either some Speer 124+p, or maybe Federal 115+p+ and I would be confident I could shoot the thing well enough to put down the bad guy. Plus, I could actually afford to train with it more too.
    "I have an open door policy on tickets ... if I have to open my door, you are getting a ticket. If I turn on those lights, somebody has to pay the electric bill."

The opinions given in my posts and comments
    DO NOT reflect any of the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "CW Mock" on LEF/Officer Resource.

Verified LEO

Does that make sense?
    Clear. My bad for reading into it too much.

98z28 is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    That is straight up one of the sexiest things I have seen in a long time. The only thing that would make it sexier is some honest holster wear.

Cochese,

I have been running the Safariland 775 for a few months now and like it quite a bit. Definitely worth a try.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Thread Information