Welcome to the APBWeb.
    DIESEL326 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO

I'm turning Commie!

Ok not really, but I did order an AK. I happened into some extra gun funds and wasn't real sure where to turn with it. I'm way beyond "needing" anything as far as pistols and rifles go, and the tax refund check got me a nice 870 earlier this Spring. I looked at some AR-15 stuff, but I've already got a handful of those around, so I decided that I'd branch out and try a new platform. AK's seem to be the flavor of the day, and lord knows they have a reputation (or two).

I have fired an AK type rifle exactly one time in my life so I came into this venture pretty much ignorant. A few days of research taught me that AK people are every bit as opinionated as AR people, and there is a lot more margin for error when considering AK's as far as manilufacturers are concerned. You can spend $300 on a gun or $800 for an identical gun from another manufacturer. But, some of the $300 guns might happen to work as well as the $800 ones but there is a better chance they may not, at least according to the Internet, and we all know that anything on the 'net is gospel. So anyway, I decided that since I could afford the best, I'd better my odds of a good rifle and buy the "best".

I ended up ordering an Arsenal SGL-31 in 5.45x39 Russian, and it should come in on Wednesday. It is a real Russian gun with a real Russian barrel and it is made on the same line as the Russian military guns. I chose the 5.45 for a very simple reason... It's cheap to shoot! I got 2160 rounds for $290 shipped! That is half the price of 7.62x39 and still less than I can reload 223 for. The little Russian round is also reputed as an effective killer, so I thought that part of the deal was a win win for me.

Obviously pics and a range report are to follow, and I'll let you guys know how it goes!
    "Aim small, miss small."

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I might have some good props for some of your pics:

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    I think I've heard a story behind that... Or either I have more than one friends with "liberated" Russian hats.
    "Aim small, miss small."

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Sweet. Gonna do anything to it or keep it bare bones?
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by DIESEL326 View Post
    I think I've heard a story behind that... Or either I have more than one friends with "liberated" Russian hats.
    Bought it shortly after the wall fell in Germany for $10 U.S. I would love to trade it for one of the fur hats. I would wear that in the winter for school traffic.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    Ahhh... Well then I do have more friends with Russian hats. The story I was thinking of involved a hat that was borrowed (permanently) from a Russian officer in a drunken dare.
    "Aim small, miss small."

Radar is offline We all bleed blue
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I had a fur hat when I was in Junior High School. It was given to me by a Russian who said the coldest place it had ever been worn was the artic circle aboard a submarine. I dont rememeber how my family knew him but it was around the same time my parents gave me a bunch of russian stamps for my stamp collection and those black cars kept following us everywhere. Now it makes me sad because everyone thinks i'm crazy because i can't find my hat or my stamp collection. They are probably both buried in my parents storage some where.
    Here Speeder, Speeder, Speeder

"Oderint dum metuant" - Caligula

"How come you only call me when someone's dead?"

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    NSFW Short hand for Not Safe For Work

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    I have fired an AK type rifle exactly one time in my life so I came into this venture pretty much ignorant. A few days of research taught me that AK people are every bit as opinionated as AR people, and there is a lot more margin for error when considering AK's as far as manilufacturers are concerned. You can spend $300 on a gun or $800 for an identical gun from another manufacturer. But, some of the $300 guns might happen to work as well as the $800 ones but there is a better chance they may not, at least according to the Internet, and we all know that anything on the 'net is gospel. So anyway, I decided that since I could afford the best, I'd better my odds of a good rifle and buy the "best".

SKS peoples are the same way,I have a 100% complete,pre ban Chinese SKS,NEVER BEEN FIRED,STILL IN CARBOLINE,that is valued from $250--all the way to $1000

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    Sweet. Gonna do anything to it or keep it bare bones?
    I somehow missed your question all together pgg, but at least I found it as I was about to answer it. I pimped it out a bit after careful consideration. I decided that I could potentially fall in love with this rifle and it become "the one" as far as a worst case scenario rifle, so I rigged as I would want it in that type scenario. I added a Midwest Industries quad rail with US Palm top cover made for the Aimpoint Ti red dot. I couldn't quite swing the Aimpoint just yet, but Primary Arms has a pretty reputable yet affordable Micro Dot that I got for the time being. I also added a Hogue grip (most comfortable rifle grip I've laid hands on on any rifle platform) and a Streamlight M3 rifle light that was given to me by a friend. I feel that this makes quite a formidable set up as far as close/ mid range gunfighting might be concerned.

I got to shoot it just a little bit over the past weekend, and I fell every bit as much in love as I thought I might. Recoil is less than an AR, quick follow ups, and it is just plain fun. I plan to give it a bit more of a workout this weekend, but it is certainly working its way into that "go to" role pretty quickly.

Here are a few pics of the new comrade...

And with a couple of it's western cousins that I'm also quite fond of...
    "Aim small, miss small."

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

This douche bag's basement is sick by the way. Almost see a TrojanTactical logo in that pic too.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post

This douche bag's basement is sick by the way. Almost see a TrojanTactical logo in that pic too.
    Yeah, one day while the oven was heating I cut out a TROTAC stencil and graffiti'd the shop a bit. It helped morale with the lowly employee. Right now my basement is incredibly overdue a good cleaning.
    "Aim small, miss small."

pgg
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    That looks sweet. I've got a couple of primary arms products. Never had a problem with their stuff. He has good prices also.

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

ManImBored is offline Ninja In Training
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    That looks sweet. I've got a couple of primary arms products. Never had a problem with their stuff. He has good prices also.
    I live down the street from Primary Arms. They allow you to place an order and go in the store and p/u to save on shipping. I go in there now and they know me by name. Guess I have shopped there a little too much.
    "Sometimes doing the right thing, is not doing the right thing."

pgg
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ManImBored View Post
    I live down the street from Primary Arms. They allow you to place an order and go in the store and p/u to save on shipping. I go in there now and they know me by name. Guess I have shopped there a little too much.
    I'm gearing up for another order so tell him to give me a deal on shipping also

I've emailed them a few times before ordering things. They are always up front and helpful. I have nothing but good things to say about them.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Do not give it to an ape.

I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post

Guerrilla warfare ??
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    WOW! Had I been the dumb-a that handed a chimp an AK I wouldve caught the first round between the eyes.
    "Aim small, miss small."

Thread Information