Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread: Gun Question

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I've settled on a .44 with 4" barrel. I will be using Garrett's Defender round.

There's a really good deal here now on the Taurus Model 444 Ultralight Titanium. One of my co-workers just got one and the price is right, in addition to the lightness of the gun. I'm going to take my wife out to practice with some .44 special.

Anyone know of any issues with that Taurus? I haven't found much about it other than complaints about kick, which seems pretty universal for .44 anyway...
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I'm not going to badmouth the Taurus, but yes I am.

Some of them have not been exemplary in QC. That said, they make a lot of gun for the money.

If you go to Garrett's site, he will tell you what guns are safe for which of his loads. I would *use* that info to infer the ability for a gun to stand up to heavy use.

Plus, there is no beating the S&W trigger or the Ruger ability to not break.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Also, if you have any trouble with shipping on Garrett stuff, plz let me know and I will personally buy and ship for you.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    I'm not going to badmouth the Taurus, but yes I am.

Some of them have not been exemplary in QC. That said, they make a lot of gun for the money.

If you go to Garrett's site, he will tell you what guns are safe for which of his loads. I would *use* that info to infer the ability for a gun to stand up to heavy use.

Plus, there is no beating the S&W trigger or the Ruger ability to not break.
    The only gun Garret said not to use with the defender is the Taurus Tracker which I intend to stay away from.

Outside of a little practice with .44 special, I don't intend to be putting a lot of hot loads through this thing plinking at the range. Especially with Garrett's $100/50 rounds.

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by MacLean View Post
    Also, if you have any trouble with shipping on Garrett stuff, plz let me know and I will personally buy and ship for you.
    Thanks, I'll keep that in mind.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    Especially with Garrett's $100/50 rounds.

I hear you on the price, but the man makes ammo that does what he says it will do.

Where you work, that's a big damn deal - and I never endorse anything that doesn't work so that I have seen it work.

He sells to NOAA for their bear protection in Alaska, and I've never dropped a hammer on one of his rounds that didn't go bang in a big way.

I zeroed my .45-70 to one of his loads, and I would put it up against anything that breathes oxygen if I do my part.

I bought my dad a box for his Ruger .44, and I know he's happy with them too.

Feel free to give me a call and I'll tell you the "things to look for" in a used revolver.
    I'm your huckleberry...

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    I've settled on a .44 with 4" barrel. I will be using Garrett's Defender round.

There's a really good deal here now on the Taurus Model 444 Ultralight Titanium. One of my co-workers just got one and the price is right, in addition to the lightness of the gun. I'm going to take my wife out to practice with some .44 special.

Anyone know of any issues with that Taurus? I haven't found much about it other than complaints about kick, which seems pretty universal for .44 anyway...
    You're a braver man than I for wanting to try a 44 mag in a super light titanium gun. yes the 44 mag will kick in any gun, but it kicks a WHOLE lot more in the Taurus compared to an all steel gun.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Also true.
    I'm your huckleberry...

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    I think a .44 would work just fine.
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    That Taurus has a really nice rubber grip that reportedly mitigates a lot of the problems being "Ultralite." When I go to the store tomorrow though I'm going to check out the other options. I'd love a S&W or Ruger if they are affordable.

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    They won't let us carry Taurus here as it's been historically unreliable and cheaply made. However, shoot what feels good and test out different models. You'll find something you and the Mrs. can agree on.
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    That Taurus has a really nice rubber grip that reportedly mitigates a lot of the problems being "Ultralite." When I go to the store tomorrow though I'm going to check out the other options. I'd love a S&W or Ruger if they are affordable.

"Reportedly."
    I'm your huckleberry...

Verified LEO
    I'm sure it does. Right about the difference between being kicked by a bull and being kicked by a Clydesdale.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    I bought a very nice custom one piece grip for the Ruger just so I could handle Garrett's ammo. Might think about that. Also, an ultra-lite .44 with Garrett rounds will scare the crap out of your wife and she will either never shoot it again or never make a follow-up shot with it. Trust me on that one, brother.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    After all the sage advice here and a little reading on the net I'm a little concerned about Taurus. It fits my budget, but do I want my wife using it on a charging Grizzlie while berry picking with the kids?

I'm going to start looking around for a used S&W or Ruger in .44. I can get the ammo I need to put down a bear and put it in a package (handgun) that my wife can carry while chasing a toddler around.

Thanks everyone!

Verified LEO
    After all the sage advice here and a little reading on the net I'm a little concerned about Taurus. It fits my budget, but do I want my wife using it on a charging Grizzlie while berry picking with the kids?

I'm going to start looking around for a used S&W or Ruger in .44. I can get the ammo I need to put down a bear and put it in a package (handgun) that my wife can carry while chasing a toddler around.

Thanks everyone!
    I like the Ruger Redhawk line personally. They have a 2.5 inch barrel version called the Alaskan. Any 44 mag will be a large gun, make sure your wife knows that.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Thread Information