Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread: Gun Question

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Gun Question

I sold my AR-15. My employer gives me one for work and lets me trick it out so I need something more practical for personal use.

I live in bear and moose country and my family and I are often out hiking, camping, or berry picking. It's not uncommon to run into large mammals who will kill you. We've been lugging around a shotgun with slugs but that's not always practical.

So I want a handgun I and my wife can carry (when I'm not with her.) I'm thinking .357, .44, or even .454 Casull. I don't want a huge barrel that will make concealment and carrying more difficult.

Any suggestions? If you and your kids suddenly found yourselves between a big brown momma bear and her cubs, what would you want in the handgun variety?
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    I don't want a huge barrel that will make concealment and carrying more difficult.
    It's good you're planning to conceal it, as open carry of a firearm might cause the bears to get scared and call the police....

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    My wife needs to be able to handle it and deliver follow up shots...

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Oh. Probably the 44 or 357 and lots of practice for good placement then. I've heard the 454 has some pretty atrocious recoil too.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I like the .454 but I'm not sure my wife could handle it, beyond one shot anyway.

keith720 is online now Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    A .357 would be a good choice. I don't know if your wife has shot much, but she can learn using lighter .38 rounds and work her way up. I have a S&W Model 28 with a 4" barrel that is a great gun. If I ever venture into the wild, it'll be with me.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

213th is offline Solipsist
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Mine was pretty managable for recoil, but it had the 8 inch barrel. Extremely accurate at distance even. Heard the small (4 in?) version isn't too bad.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Check with the folks in your area; they probably know better than any of us what's actually reliably effective in the situations you anticipate use. Seems like it's more critter than human vermin that concerns you, right?

I mean, something that would knock down most of the black bears here in VA won't even faze a Grizzly cub...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Bjohnson63 is offline King of the Shit Bucket
    Verified LEO
    Springfield XD-M .45 ACP. Admittedly I don't have to deal with grizzlys, but I do like the idea of being able to carry it easily, and dump 15 or so rounds of .45 into him in rapid succession, not to mention its easy to carry a few extra mags. I think in the oh shit moment, it would be a little more forgiving for you, and especially the wife. Just my opinion.

I remember reading an article in Field and Stream about this very topic... One of the guns they suggested was a Glock 9mm... for those reasons exactly. I don't know if I would trust a 9mm, but a .45 wouldn't be so bad.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I know you said hand gun but what about a short barrel shotty?

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Ruger or Smith, 4 inch barrel, Garrett Cartridges.

Done deal.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

ChesCopPodz is offline Wandering son
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    I like the .454 but I'm not sure my wife could handle it, beyond one shot anyway.
    Go with the .454 Casull. If she doesn't like the thump of the Casull (and she probably won't, it's a mule), you can load them with 45 Colt rounds instead.

A 44 mag will work the same way with a 44 Special round.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I think if you are in Yellowstone and that hungry Grizzly is around, a 105mm Howitzer is best. However, more practicable, a 44 MAG is the only way to go.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The bigger the better. As far as semi autos go 10mm with hot rounds is probably best. Any standard duty cartidge I wouldn't consider. .500 mag or .44 is probably your best bet though.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesCopPodz View Post
    Go with the .454 Casull. If she doesn't like the thump of the Casull (and she probably won't, it's a mule), you can load them with 45 Colt rounds instead.

A 44 mag will work the same way with a 44 Special round.
    Something I didnt mention above, there are a ton of good quality, inexpensive (especially compared to an AR) lever action rifles available in either 45 Colt or 44 magnum for a hard hitting pair of guns using the same ammo.
    The world would be much cleaner if blind people carried brooms instead of sticks.

At communion, when the priest says "Body of Christ", I say "Thanks, I've been working out", then I grab the cracker and run back to my seat

An amateur practices until he gets it right. A professional practices until he cant get it wrong.

They've got us surrounded? Good. Now we can fire in any direction. Those bastards won't get away this time.

ms1600 is offline Neither here nor there
    I have friends that carry a Ruger 44 Redhawk for bear/moose protection. I usually carry a Glock 29 with Buffalo Bore (10 mm hot loads). Maybe a Glock 20 with Buffalo Bore would work?

My friend has a .454 Casull and my hand hurt after 3 shots. I wouldn't recommend it.
    Verified Libra- There sure are a lot of people born in August around here.

Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes he gets you.

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    The Ruger Super Blackhawk (used but well cared for) can be had for from $250 to $450 and with a 7 and one half inch barrell it will deliver a serious anti bear message. If you will buy Randy Garrett's 320 grain super hardcast bear killers, you can drop anything in Alaska....no fooling. A Galco chest rig will keep it close to hand but with the weight carried over your shoulders.

I have such a rig and the rounds are BAAAAAD AAAAASS! It is cheap, reliable and effective.

What more can you ask for.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Verified LEO
    Forgot to mention- the S&W 460 magnum can also take the 454 Casull and the 45 Colt

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by ChesCopPodz View Post
    Forgot to mention- the S&W 460 magnum can also take the 454 Casull and the 45 Colt

True.

It's also a lot more expensive and doesn't really do much more than a very hot .44 - it all comes down to your recoil sensitivity and your price point.

You can kill an elephant with the right .44 and watch a deer walk off hit by a .500 - at some point you have to cross what you "can" shoot with what you "can shoot."
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information