Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Tango Zulu 22 is offline Duncopperin!
    Verified LEO

Boyd's Stocks . . . comments?

I've been lucky to be given a well used but not abused Parker Hale 1200 in .243.

The only thing wrong with it is that it's a right handed stock and I'm a left hooker.

I can live with the bolt & safety on the right - the rifles I've used have always been ambi or right handers - the only issue I have is that the stock is a right handed Monte Carlo and is less than comfortable for me to use - it's ok shooting from a rest, but for freehanded shooting, especially when stalking, I'd like to get it to fit me better.

As the rifle is a large ring Mauser 98, I've found that I can get a left handed shooter / right handed action thumbhole stock from Boyds for less than £100 shipped to the UK.

Does anyone have any experience with their products?

Good, bad indifferent?

Any other suggestions for suppliers?

I'd be interested to hear any info you have.

A common mistake made when trying to come up with a totally foolproof design is to completely underestimate the innate ingenuity of fools.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you but it's still there on my list of options, so are you coming quietly.........?

Bjohnson63 is offline King of the Shit Bucket
    Verified LEO
    You have guns in Europe? I thought you all still used swords. LOL. Sorry, I'm not familiar with Boyd.

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    How did you manage to get a gun there?
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

“A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity.” Sigmund Freud

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    I looked over the website nd liked what I saw. Don't have any personal experience with this company but based on what I saw, I would give them a shot.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    How did you manage to get a gun there?
    Quite easy really ( not!! )

Firstly have written permission from landowners to shoot on their land, then get two people who have known you for several years to confirm in writing that you are a fit and proper person to be trusted with firearms.

Then show that you have a need to possess specific calibres - identifying which calibre will be used for what specific quarry.

Then wait several weeks whilst your background and that of your referees is checked including my Doctor being contacted to see if he knows any reason why I shouldn't have rifles.

Then an interview with a Firearms enquiry officer and examination of the security at my home & the standard of my storage cabinet.

Then wait a few more weeks before the Firearms Certificate is delivered.

In my case, it took just about 2 months in total from start to finish, but that was quite good as being a cop with a background in Armed Response was a big assist.

I'm authorised to possess 4 rifles, 1 of each in .17, .22, .22-250 and .243 with moderators for each calibre too, I also have restrictions on the amount of ammunition I can purchase or hold at any time.

Shotguns by comparison are easier to gain clearance to possess, but you are limited to traditional single or double barreled guns or semi autos or pump actions with no more than 2 rounds capable of being held in the magazine - anything greater than that defaults to the same standards as rifles as above.

Air weapons are freely available without licences unless they exceed 12 ft lbs when they default to the same standards as rifles above.

HTH
    A common mistake made when trying to come up with a totally foolproof design is to completely underestimate the innate ingenuity of fools.

The last thing I want to do is hurt you but it's still there on my list of options, so are you coming quietly.........?

Bjohnson63 is offline King of the Shit Bucket
    Verified LEO
    Wow...that sucks. I can drive down to the local gun shop and pick up pretty much whatever I want and take it home that day (long guns) and in 3 days for pistols. And I have a couple thousand rounds of ammo in storage. And to think that some in our country want to go to the European model for everything. At least you got approved, happy shooting.

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO
    I have a Boyd laminated stock that is quite weather proof and good looking. I have considered redoing a Ruger 77 barreled action with a Boyd laminated mannlicher stock. Have you tried Brownells ?

World's Largest Supplier of Gun Parts, Gunsmith Tools & Shooting Accessories - Brownells
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Boyd makes nice stuff.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

abom334 is offline Every Meth Head's nightmare
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Bjohnson63 View Post
    You have guns in Europe? I thought you all still used swords. LOL. Sorry, I'm not familiar with Boyd.
    Hahaha!! I'm still laughing at this.....
    "Fear not the night. Fear that which walks the night. And *I* am that which walks the night. But only evil need fear me …and gentle souls sleep safe in their beds…because I walk the night".- Dave Grossman

Verified LEO
    Well, I ordered one and it arrived within 10 days.

Total cost including import duty was £125 so about $198 shipped to the UK

I'm very pleased with the results.

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Too good for you, mate. You need to give that to me, I can shoot either side so left handed is not a problem.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Nice !! How does she shoot ??
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Verified LEO
    If I do my job properly, even though it's well used it will still shoot cloverleaf groups at 100 yards.

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Tango Zulu 22 View Post
    If I do my job properly, even though it's well used it will still shoot cloverleaf groups at 100 yards.
    It does look like a suped up version of a K-98. Sounds like it shoots as good as it looks.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

Thread Information