Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Police Working on Technology to Detect Concealed Guns

In a speech on Tuesday morning to the New York City Police Foundation, Police Commissioner Raymond W. Kelly said the department was working with the Defense Department to develop gun-scan technology “capable of detecting concealed firearms.”

The tool would operate as a sort of reverse infrared mapping tool by reading the energy people emit and pinpointing where that flow is blocked by some object, like a gun.

“If something is obstructing the flow of that radiation — for example, a weapon — the device will highlight that object,” Mr. Kelly said in his annual speech about the state of the Police Department. “This technology has shown a great deal of promise as a way of detecting weapons without a physical search.”

Donna Lieberman, the executive director of the New York Civil Liberties Union, said that while the group yearned for solutions to gun violence, the proposal was worrisome. “We have no idea how this technology works, if it is effective, and what its error rate is,” she said. “If the N.Y.P.D. is moving forward with this, the public needs more information about this technology, how it works and the dangers it presents.”
    More here:
    New York Police Working on Technology to Detect Concealed Weapons - NYTimes.com

copboy is offline Officer First Class
    Though great in concept I see alot of problems with the system. Not only will there be a lot of false indications ( due to cell phones, multi-tools, and other stuff carried on belts these days) but the implementation of the scanners will come under alot of scrutiny.

213th is offline Solipsist
    I would consider this an invasion of privacy. If I want to conceal a legally possessed item, be it firearm, knife, zippo lighter, coins its my own damn business.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

abom334 is offline Every Meth Head's nightmare
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 213th View Post
    I would consider this an invasion of privacy. If I want to conceal a legally possessed item, be it firearm, knife, zippo lighter, coins its my own damn business.
    It is your business, yes. But legal carry or not, I wanna know who is carrying what and why. If your legal and provide me with your concealed carry permit, I would ask you not make any movements towards your gun, discussion over. If your not and have the intention to use that concealed gun on me, I want to be able to take action before your hand even touches that handle. Besides, Your REQUIRED to inform LE that you are a CCW holder and advise him of where your gun is anyway during contact.
    "Fear not the night. Fear that which walks the night. And *I* am that which walks the night. But only evil need fear me …and gentle souls sleep safe in their beds…because I walk the night".- Dave Grossman

GunmetalGray is offline At the reloading bench...
    Verified LEO
    One of these upon entry into a government building ( in lieu of a metal detector ), I'm fine with.

Any other venue, and it becomes awful Orwellian.
    "Someone ever tries to kill you, you try to kill 'em right back!" - Captain Malcolm Reynolds

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Touchy touchy issue.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

213th is offline Solipsist
    Quote Originally Posted by abom334 View Post
    It is your business, yes. But legal carry or not, I wanna know who is carrying what and why. If your legal and provide me with your concealed carry permit, I would ask you not make any movements towards your gun, discussion over. If your not and have the intention to use that concealed gun on me, I want to be able to take action before your hand even touches that handle. Besides, Your REQUIRED to inform LE that you are a CCW holder and advise him of where your gun is anyway during contact.

And yes, you are required to (in some states anyway) inform LE during contact. That doesn't give LE the right to arbitrarily make contact just to check if someone has a weapon, even if this NY, just like you can't stop a motorist for the sole reason of checking to see if he/she has a driver license.

Also, the way this technology works, any object that interferes with the energy emitted by a body would be detected. Are we going to start patting down every lady with a makeup case? People with Zippo's? Coins? cellphones? The list is endless.

GMG-that is about the only circumstance where I'd be okay with it.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

abom334 is offline Every Meth Head's nightmare
    Verified LEO
    I'm not goin to go out in public and just flash this thing around and everyone. I am talking about officer safety issues here. When I respond to a call, have reasonable suspicion for contact, ect. I do believe there should be restrictions set on it but it is a good idea for a lot of situations.
    "Fear not the night. Fear that which walks the night. And *I* am that which walks the night. But only evil need fear me …and gentle souls sleep safe in their beds…because I walk the night".- Dave Grossman

Pinki is offline Sergeant
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Maybe that would make the pro-gun Californians decide to work to get rid of their awful gun laws instead of carrying illegally....
    Arm the sheep!

Thread Information