Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Florida shooting renews debate over 'stand your ground' laws

In the months after the Florida Legislature passed a law in 2005 allowing residents to use deadly force to protect themselves no matter where they were, gun-control advocates plastered the state with fliers bearing warnings to tourists.
    Be careful, the fliers said. Florida had become a "shoot first" state.
    The issue has remained in the news, on and off, ever since, but perhaps never so much as now in the aftermath of the shooting death of an unarmed teen in Sanford, Florida.
    A neighborhood watch volunteer, George Zimmerman, has claimed self-defense in the February 26 shooting of 17-year-old Trayvon Martin, who was killed while walking back to the house of his father's fiancee after a trip to a convenience store.
    Florida's "stand your ground" law appears to be central to the case.
    How Fla. law affects Trayvon Martin case Dad sure cries on 911 are his son's Self-defense in Florida teen's shooting? Attorney: It was a gun vs. Skittles
    The law allows people to use deadly force away from their homes -- where such force has long been allowed -- if they have reasonable fear an assailant could seriously harm them or someone else.
    It also eliminates a longstanding "duty to retreat" in the face of imminent harm, asserting that would-be crime victims have the right to "stand their ground" and "meet force with force" when attacked as long as they are in a place they have a right to be, are not engaged in unlawful activity and believe that their life and safety was in danger.
    It won with the strong endorsement of the National Rifle Association, or NRA, which at the time said it put the law "on the side of law-abiding citizens."
    More here: Florida shooting renews debate over 'stand your ground' laws - CNN.com

sgtbear111 is offline retired
    Verified LEO

insufficient info

This reads like it was written by a junior "correspondent, from Pravda after being given the Party Line, now go out and dig up something to support the Party line.
    Some people come into our lives and quickly go. Some stay for awhile and leave footprints on our hearts. And we are never, ever the same.-- Anonymous

Old People, like me, may not be around to witness the destruction of our Nation. The rest of you may not survive the collapse. We all have the sworn duty to prevent it.

The light of hope burns brighter than the fires of doom.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    allowing residents to use deadly force to protect themselves
    If someone isn't using the law as it was meant to be used is misusing the law.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Florida's "stand your ground" law appears to be central to the case.
    How Fla. law affects Trayvon Martin case Dad sure cries on 911 are his son's Self-defense in Florida teen's shooting? Attorney: It was a gun vs. Skittles
    The law allows people to use deadly force away from their homes -- where such force has long been allowed -- if they have reasonable fear an assailant could seriously harm them or someone else.
    It also eliminates a longstanding "duty to retreat" in the face of imminent harm, asserting that would-be crime victims have the right to "stand their ground" and "meet force with force" when attacked as long as they are in a place they have a right to be, are not engaged in unlawful activity and believe that their life and safety was in danger.
    It won with the strong endorsement of the National Rifle Association, or NRA, which at the time said it put the law "on the side of law-abiding citizens."
    Mr. Zimmerman should hope that his actions fall within those guidelines. Based solely on the media reports (careful there) it does not appear so. Considering to strike down this law would be nothing more than an improper reaction.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    If this shooting involved "Black on Black" or "Black on White" there would be little of any notice given by the media. You can bet your ass Jessie Jackson or Al Sharpton wouldn't give a hoot. If it was White on White, the guy would be a hero.

Odd
    Odd is offline Cosmonaut Trainer
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I blame France's open firearm laws for this massacre.

Wait, wrong story? What the hell, run it, the public won't notice. They never do.

GunmetalGray is offline At the reloading bench...
    Verified LEO
    Blatant propaganda.

From what I can gather, this gentleman committed a homicide.

Awful hard to claim self-defense if you follow someone, especially after being instructed not to

Takes two to fight.

countybear is offline BDRT - Baby Daddy Removal Team
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The federal government has absolutely -0- right to involve itself in this matter, unless the State court's disposition returns a decision which is blatantly unconstitutional, then on appeal up the chain, SCOTUS, if necessary.

There is a process for this to follow. Bandwagoning and political pandering should not be allowed... but just watch.

"The American Republic will endure until the day Congress discovers that it can bribe the public with the public's money."
    - Alexis de Tocqueville, Democracy in America

Tell me not, Sweet, I am unkind,
    That from the nunnery
    Of thy chaste breast and quiet mind
    To war and arms I fly.
    - Lovelace

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in representation of his employer, its agencies or assigns. In fact, they probably fail to be in alignment with the opinions of any rational human being.

Thread Information