Like Tree5Likes
  • 3 Post By MacLean
  • 1 Post By pgg
  • 1 Post By keith720

Thread: Shopping for a new 1911

Code6 is offline Beep,Beep!!!
    Verified LEO

Shopping for a new 1911

Okay, I am shopping for a new 1911 (duty gun). I have been out of the market for sometime and need your input on all the different manufacturers of 1911's. Why do you choose one brand over another?

Here are the features I need to have on a new gun. Full size, light rail, ambi saftey, mag well and night sights.

Tell me what you think. I have already been to some of the 1911 Forums, but I want another cop's perspective to help me narrow down my choices.

Thanks for the help.
    What if the Hokey Pokey is what it really is all about?

Police others as you would have them Police you.

rob84 is offline Did you press the power button?
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I'm not a LEO, but I have always liked the Rock Island Armory Tactical 51482-ARM.jpg

www.twitter.com/RobKimble1984
    www.facebook.com/robkimble

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    If you're going to bet your life on it, you're going to spend a bit.

Rock Island guns are made in the Phillipines and have cast frames. Casting is awesome for pans, not so much for frames.

Springfield and Colt use forged frames, and they have made the darn things since they rolled out. I note that the Marines just bought Colts, which is a sound endorsement.

If I wasn't going to buy something from Nighthawk or Wilson Combat, I would buy a Colt or Springfield.
    rob84, lewisipso and Code6 like this.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I have a nice Swith & Wesson that the wife bought me that has everything you mentioned. It is a great accurate gun.
    Code6 likes this.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Ryan701 is offline Officer First Class
    I believe that most of the LAPD SWAT, if not all, use Kimbers...

I also have a Smith & Wesson with everything that you mentioned, and I love it! It's a very accurate gun!

code3bg is offline Officer First Class
    Verified C/O
    I swear by my Taurus PT1911. It is a bad ass gun, and accurate as you could ever ask for. For a price of around $640 you get a gun that will compete with a $1000 Kimber. I agree that Kimber makes a nice gun, but they don't do anything any better than the Taurus. As far as the R.I. Arms... you definitely get what you pay for with that (instead of getting more than you pay for with Taurus). The frames of the Taurus 1911s are cast, like R.I., but there is no reason to say that there is anything wrong with a cast frame as opposed to a forged frame. If you've got the money, buy a Kimber. But if you want all the features of a Kimber, and feel like saving $400-$500... buy the Taurus. It's worth a good hard look at least.

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I have a Taurus 1911 also, and I think it's a great gun. I carry a Taurus slim 40 as a BUG, and have never had a problem with that, either.
    code3bg likes this.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Verified C/O
    Quote Originally Posted by keith720 View Post
    I have a Taurus 1911 also, and I think it's a great gun.
    Great minds really do think alike!

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I run a Kimber TLE/RLII on duty. I think I read somewhere that's the gun LAPD SWAT issued for a long time, not sure....it looked like it in that SWAT movie though so it must be true, right? Seriously, though...the hype was never the factor. For me, I had the same criteria as you did, and I picked it up for around $900 and run a Surefire X200a on it, thought I need to upgrade to a newer 300. I'm no die hard Kimber fan, though I own several of their guns. This one was not perfect out of the box, though it ran well. Took a few hundred rounds and a new extractor, but it runs 99.999999% now. But make no mistake, it took some work. I'll have a feed malfunction once over the course of a thousand rounds class or so, more without some heavy cleaning, but when it's clean it's a tack driver. From looking at Kimber's offerings 10+ years ago to where they are now, I feel they may suffer from some poor QC here and there. I've seen some real lemons come from them. But, the majority of the Kimbers I see run great. That being said, I was limited more by budget at the time I bought it 6+ years ago. Making a little more money now, I would love a Les Baer or Wilson Combat.

I've since sand blasted it and refinished it in desert and black, and put some Mil-Tac grips on it, along with a magwell (the magwell didn't come standard.) Have a look.

Before...stock finish and grips...no holster wear even!

How it looked right after the refinish, although I have some good holster wear on it now.

"If anything worthwhile comes of this tragedy, it should be the realization by every citizen that often the only thing that stands between them and losing everything they hold dear... is the man wearing a badge." -- Ronald Reagan, in the wake of the deaths of 4 CHP troopers in the Newhall Incident, 1970

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "121Traffic" on O/R.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by code3bg View Post
    but there is no reason to say that there is anything wrong with a cast frame as opposed to a forged frame.
    I'd say that depends on how much you shoot.
    I'm your huckleberry...

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

SteelCityK9Cop is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Take a read at Hilton Yam's articles on picking a 1911 for duty use. The article is on his 10-Performance website.

Be polite, be professional, but have a plan to kill everybody you meet.

Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Mr. Yam is a scholar, indeed.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    I bought a bead blasted stainless Colt and sent it off to Wilson for the treatment. Best gun I have ever owned and I know I can trust it with the lives of those I love.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Verified C/O
    Quote Originally Posted by 121Traffic View Post
    Fantastic work! I may have just found the grips I'm putting on my 1911, very well done.

Thread Information