10 ounces USDA Choice or Higher beef tenderloin, cut into small dice
    2 Tbsp finely chopped red onion
    2 Tbsp finely chopped parsley
    4 tsp olive oil
    3 dashes Tabasco
    4 dashes Worcestershire sauce
    3/4 tsp crushed chile flakes

Trimming the tenderloin.

Combine anchovies, capers and mustard, mash all until evenly combined.
    Mix in egg yolks.

Use spatula to fold in remaining ingredients until thoroughly combined. Season well with salt and freshly ground pepper.
    Last edited by IMGreat101; 01-14-11 at 02:25 PM. Reason: missing pic
    To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2

Presentation: Steak Tartare

Steak Tartare with Toasted Marble Rye and Pinot Noir

To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Yum!

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    So how do you make sure you don't keel over with some incredibly nasty intestinal critter from raw meat and eggs? Do you just live dangerously and chance it? I have always been curious about that.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Cidp24 View Post
    So how do you make sure you don't keel over with some incredibly nasty intestinal critter from raw meat and eggs? Do you just live dangerously and chance it? I have always been curious about that.
    You have to live dangerously and chance it. If you prepare it yourself, you need to have complete trust in your butcher and make sure that your eggs are very fresh, in a restaurant you have to trust the chef and his/her staff.

I personally do not use raw eggs in any finished product that will be eaten raw, I use pasteurized eggs.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I just remember my dad ending up in the hospital with salmonella one time. They thought it was from eggs. I've been terrified of raw or undercooked eggs since.
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    I just remember my dad ending up in the hospital with salmonella one time. They thought it was from eggs. I've been terrified of raw or undercooked eggs since.
    I've had food poisoning on more than one occasion (most recently about a week or so ago) and it's no fun. In each case, though, it wasn't from eggs - I'm just very paranoid about eggs, chicken, and food sanitation in general.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    When I was in the academy, 72 of us in 3 different basic classes (Dept of Corrections, Highway Patrol, and basic LE) along with all of the instructors came down with food poisoning-like symptoms between 7pm one night and 4am the next morning. State Health said it was a virus. Yea, right. My own doctor said it was food poisoning. That is the sickest I remember EVER being. It was the Thursday of the 8th week of the academy so I was in great physical condition but when I reported back on the next Monday, I could not even run the 100 yds from the parking area to the barracks. The Highway Patrol was graduating the next day and many of them could not make graduation. Two or three that were sick but tried to make it anyway had to fall out of formation.

But, this recipe looks great and it might just be worth the chance!!

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Back in the 50'a, I ate it at least twice a month in various working class resturants in Germany. It was rather inexpensive back then. Remember, most Germans didn't have refrigeration and the eggs were stored (and still are) out in the open. The only time I got sick was when I ate in the Mess Halls.
    Last edited by bayern; 01-14-11 at 10:51 AM. Reason: spelling

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    There is a bigger issue with ground meat as opposed to a diced solid muscle. Ask your butcher for their blend of fresh ground beef. Most tartare recipes ask for the leanest ground beef available. I actually have a regular customer that buys our 96% lean ground beef. Come to think of it, haven't seen her in awhile.... jk!
    To Live Is To Eat

Reca is offline Administrator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Owner
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Buttercup View Post
    Yum!
    YUCK!!!
    Check your feelings at the door!

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Reca" on Officerresource.com

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Reca View Post
    YUCK!!!
    +1 :sheep2:

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    It's the egg that makes it a no-go for me. I don't mind the raw meat but the texture of the egg isn't something I like. Also, the knife in the second pic is nearly identical to ones I grew up using. Every time I find one in a junk shop or antique shop I try and get it. Excellent blades for the kitchen.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    96% lean ground beef is all we buy anymore. Lower calories and fat, but still great amounts of protein.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Reca View Post
    YUCK!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by Jenna View Post
    +1 :sheep2:
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    It's the egg that makes it a no-go for me. I don't mind the raw meat but the texture of the egg isn't something I like. Also, the knife in the second pic is nearly identical to ones I grew up using. Every time I find one in a junk shop or antique shop I try and get it. Excellent blades for the kitchen.

ok, so I guess this is out of the question too?

Carpaccio - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
    To Live Is To Eat

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    the knife in the second pic is nearly identical to ones I grew up using.
    It is an old hickory Old Hickory Knives: kitchen knives, butcher knives, paring knives, and cutlery sets.
    I think we paid .25 cents. It is a very good knife.

That was before I spent some coin on my Victorinox Forschner Knives - Forschner Cutlery & Victorinox Knives | cutleryandmore.com They are what we use at work.

Before that, I felt like "The cobblers kids had no shoes."
    To Live Is To Eat

Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by IMGreat101 View Post

That's one of my all-time favorites. There are perhaps 10 things that, if on any restaurant menu, I will always order. Carpaccio of beef, veal, or tuna is among them.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by IMGreat101 View Post

Sounds incredible to me. I saw Alton Brown's Good Eats where he made that and have been wanting to try it ever since.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Thread Information