Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Reca is offline Administrator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Owner
    Blog Entries

Any home brewers (wine or beer)

Do we have any home brewers here? I just started making my own wine. I made 6 gallons (30) bottles of pomegranate zinfandel the beginning of December. I am working on a Blackberry Cabernet now.
    Check your feelings at the door!

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Reca" on Officerresource.com

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

ms1600 is offline Neither here nor there
    Yep, I've made some batches of wine. But having a 9 month old daughter with carboys around is not a good idea, so I've stopped for a while.

My friends homebrew their own beer (I haven't made that jump yet). The key to wines is to let it settle longer than what the directions recommend and rack it an extra time or two to make sure you don't transfer as much sediment into bottles. A friend of a friend distilled his own moonshine (it didn't taste bad, but it was 120 proof or so).
    Verified Libra- There sure are a lot of people born in August around here.

Sometimes you get the bear, sometimes he gets you.

depdog is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    I don't make it but I sure will drink it!
    If you have no capacity for violence then you are a healthy productive citizen, a sheep. If you have a capacity for violence and no empathy for your fellow citizens, then you have defined an aggressive sociopath, a wolf. But what if you have a capacity for violence, and a deep love for your fellow citizens? What do you have then? A sheepdog, a warrior, someone who is walking the hero's path. Someone who can walk into the heart of darkness, into the universal human phobia, and walk out unscathed." "The sheep generally do not like the sheepdog. He looks a lot like the wolf. He has fangs and the capacity for violence. The difference, though, is that the sheepdog must not, cannot and will not ever harm the sheep. Any sheepdog who intentionally harms the lowliest little lamb will be punished and removed. The world cannot work any other way, at least not in a representative democracy or a republic such as ours."
    -Lt. Col. Dave Grossman, U.S. Army (Ret.)

Reca is offline Administrator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Owner
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by ms1600 View Post
    Yep, I've made some batches of wine. But having a 9 month old daughter with carboys around is not a good idea, so I've stopped for a while.

My friends homebrew their own beer (I haven't made that jump yet). The key to wines is to let it settle longer than what the directions recommend and rack it an extra time or two to make sure you don't transfer as much sediment into bottles. A friend of a friend distilled his own moonshine (it didn't taste bad, but it was 120 proof or so).

I agree with the tip of letting it sit. My first batch I did rack one or two extra times and I let it sit another month and it was perfect.
    Check your feelings at the door!

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Reca" on Officerresource.com

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Grandma's Moonshine Grape Wine Recipe

I have made this before. It's pretty strong and doesn't taste half bad.
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I've got some samples of my older brother's home brew beer and wine in my fridge at this moment. Closest I've come to home brewing myself is a Mr Beer kit, it's the ready made science kit version of brewing.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Thread Information