Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

Trying some new beers tonight

First up is Chocolate Beer Youngs Double Chocolate Stout Decent, smooth, with a chocolate aftertaste. Not a "Beat you over the head" taste of chocolate, what's there is definitely a dark chocolate, not sweet, and faintly creamy, but not CHOCOLATE. Pours almost thick, with a head that is clingy without being annoying. So dark in the glass that it does a good impression of Guinness. One bottle (just a shade over a pint) is enough to get a bit of a buzz going from sober. 5.2% ABV.

Other beers to be reviewed tonight if I stay sober enough.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Next up, Lion Stout. It's an import from Sri Lanka (WTF?) and listed as 8.8% ABV. Pours very dark, with a big, caramel colored head. The head is taking forever to go away and is starting to piss me off. Vaguely fruity notes in the sniff, once you get past the ALCOHOL that assaults your nose.

WOW this stuff is alcoholic. Can a beer be chewy? The fruity notes are lost as your tongue goes numb and your sinuses go on overload. It comes across as being like a beer with a built in chaser. If guys claim they've only had two beers and are wasted, it may have been two of these. Not much carbonation once the head is gone, so the actual act of swallowing is pretty easy. Belching at a minimum. Chocolate flavor noticeable about halfway through, as an aftertaste from the back of your mouth. There's something dark stuck to the bottom of my glass from this beer, and my lips feel a bit sticky. This would be an excellent substitute for food. It gets better the more you drink. Even with my eye pressed against the glass and a bare bulb on the other side, I can't see through this stuff. Oddly, it goes great with chocolate chip cookies. It was only $6.99 for a six pack (cans, but poured into a big ass glass) so I can see getting this one again. Just not for a night that I want to stay sober.

*Edit to add, the dark stuff at the bottom of the glass looks to be yeast. Not attractive to look at but it sat on the bottom like well behaved yeast and I didn't have to drink it.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson

Car 4 is offline CID Chief
    Verified LEO
    Ducks....if you get to Seattle, Maclean and I will take you to the Ale House where you can chose from about 60 beers. Lots of fun.

Car 4
    I would like my country back. I used to believe that one man could never destroy this country. Not so sure anymore!

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post
    Ducks....if you get to Seattle, Maclean and I will take you to the Ale House where you can chose from about 60 beers. Lots of fun.

Car 4
    That would rock. We have the Carolina Ale House about a half hour away, but I haven't been yet. It's cheaper to get a variety at the local (well stocked) party shop, then bring it home where a DD isn't needed. The worst that happens then is me posting on here about my purchases, progressively getting drunker as the evening goes on. LOL
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

10-42 is offline Sheepdog
    Capital Alehouse

Give this place a try if your passing thru...
    Of every one hundred men, ten should not even be here. Eighty are nothing but targets. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the One... One of them is a Warrior... He will bring the others back.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by 10-42 View Post
    Capital Alehouse

Give this place a try if your passing thru...
    Will have to do so.

Tonight's beer is Arrogant Bastard Ale. Nice color in the glass, reminds me of dark honey. Small head that clings nicely without being intrusive. Bitter and yet fruity tones. Nicely bitter on the tongue, reminds me of grapefruit peel in a way, and it sticks around to make you appreciate it. Almost warns you that if you don't appreciate it, it's going to stick around for a while anyhow so you may as well lay back and enjoy it. For some reason I have an urge to pair this with seafood. As I don't have any seafood on hand, that combo will have to wait before I can test it.

7.2% ABV. 22 ounce bottles, and the only beer I know of that comes in a 3 liter bottle as well.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Will have to do so.

Tonight's beer is Arrogant Bastard Ale. Nice color in the glass, reminds me of dark honey. Small head that clings nicely without being intrusive. Bitter and yet fruity tones. Nicely bitter on the tongue, reminds me of grapefruit peel in a way, and it sticks around to make you appreciate it. Almost warns you that if you don't appreciate it, it's going to stick around for a while anyhow so you may as well lay back and enjoy it. For some reason I have an urge to pair this with seafood. As I don't have any seafood on hand, that combo will have to wait before I can test it.

7.2% ABV. 22 ounce bottles, and the only beer I know of that comes in a 3 liter bottle as well.
    Be careful with that one Sir! IPA is a rather unforgiving one!
    Of every one hundred men, ten should not even be here. Eighty are nothing but targets. Nine are real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the One... One of them is a Warrior... He will bring the others back.

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Be careful with that one Ma'am! IPA is a rather unforgiving one!
    Corrected.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Quote Originally Posted by lewisipso View Post
    Corrected.
    Thank you Sir, may I have another...

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Thank you Sir, may I have another...
    I don't think the world could handle another one of me. Or of Lew. But yes, I am typically careful with my beer. I don't do the "sex in a canoe" style - so called because they're f*cking close to water - and as such am used to beer with a higher alcohol content and actual flavor.

Anyone else have any favs they'd care to talk about?
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Car 4 View Post

Car 4
    Oh really??? Where at?? Must visit
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO
    Recently had an obsession with Fire House 5 golden....delish
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Had some new craft beer; "WTF - Its Rotten" Brewed in the AM, served at lunch. All this Raspberry, chocolate, etc beer is getting to me. Just a regular beer made like it should be made, Barley, Hops, Yeast & water. Leave all the fruit and other stuff to the gals.

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    If you are near Des Moines.

El Bait Shop - Restaurant & Bar - Des Moines, Iowa

My favorite is the barley wine from Rogue Ales
    To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Tonight's beers are some standards. Killian's Red and Guinness Extra Stout. Killian's is one that I enjoy fairly often, as it's got a great flavor and finishes clean. Nice dark amber pour, small head, good carbonation. Not too bitter, not too sweet, and pairs well with just about any food you can put with it. 4.9 abv.

Guinness Extra Stout is more bold. Pours black with a big, foamy head. A bit bitter, finish that lingers for a while. Deep roasted flavor, almost a burned thing going on with it. Pairs great with grilled meats. 6.0 abv.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    A peek inside El Bait Shop - Restaurant & Bar - Des Moines, Iowa

During the summer they open the big door.

The wall

Tapping my fav

yummmy

If you are nice to the bartender they will give you a tour.

To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I really should visit this place.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    I really should visit this place.
    It is calling out to you

Welcome to El Bait Shop.

We have 105 beers on tap and over 100 beers in bottles.
    To Live Is To Eat

Thread Information