Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Beer Review

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I hope to get in here this Wed. or Thurs..

Boulevard Brewing Company Age Verification
    To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

SinePari is offline Just humping the road
    Verified LEO
    Smuttynose Old Brown Dog

Belhaven Scottish Ale

Sam Adams Fezziwig
    Insert catchy phrase here

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Just like the ChrisFit thread, just because I get busy at work doesn't mean I miss a workout or an after workout beer. I just get behind on posting about them. So.....

From Gadsden, AL: Truck Stop Honey Brown Ale

This is a darker ale that, as you may guess has a sweetness of honey to it. It doesn't get in the way of the usual taste of an ale, but it is there. Great would be happy to know this is more of a drinking with food tasting ale in my opinion. Since my wife picked this and all these other bottles up I cannot comment on the price, but I'm betting this is one is more manageable for serving at a social gathering of friends. This was not the smoothest ale I've had, but I am a fan of ales in general so it was not a total loss. I've also found that I generally don't like ales with honey associated with them. At least I don't in the damn near 100 degree Southern heat. This opinion may change in the cooler seasons.

Back Forty Beer Co. (includes Food Pairings)
    Truck Stop Honey Brown Ale Back Forty Beer Co.

What the Pros say (note the bottle has changed):
    Truck Stop Honey Brown Ale - Back Forty Beer Co. - Gadsden, AL - BeerAdvocate

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    It is official, I now have a second opinion on all my reviews:

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post

lol, Sprayed Ale
    Jenna likes this.
    To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Naked Pig Pale Ale

This is also from Gadsden, AL and the same brewery as the Honey Brown Ale:
    Back Forty Beer Co.

Naked Pig Pale Ale Back Forty Beer Co.

This ale was just a bit smoother than the Honey Brown. This had a bit of a fruit almost citrus taste to it that was balanced well with malt used. A good local offering that again would be a good addition to a social gathering with "real" friends.

What the pros say:
    Naked Pig Pale Ale - Back Forty Beer Co. - Gadsden, AL - BeerAdvocate

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale

Boulevard Brewing Company Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale Kansas City, MO

It is summer time, it is hot, and I have offically decided that farmhouse ales are where it at for this time of year. Between Avondale and now this offering from Boulevard Brewing Co I don't think you can go wrong if you want a full flavored but lighter offering for the hottest part of the year. What is a farmhouse ale you ask? All About Beer Magazine Farmhouse Ales

Just remember open fermentation.

Regardless of the art behind the brewing these ales and this one is included make me want to sit in the shade by my smoker. This brew feels light but it will grab you with its 8% abv. Very complex flavoring that just makes your mouth feel alive, so much so that the alcohol is missed. This can be a good or bad thing depending on your perspective I suppose. This is the kind of brew that I would give to someone that came over to help me with an outdoor project in hopes that they would likely volunteer their time again to get some more of the brew. This is good enough it would probably work too. If you look closely at the picture you can actually see the yeast floating around in the glass. Once you taste it, you will not care. This has a fruity taste that is countered by a note of spice. Very invigorating.

What the pros say:
    Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale - Boulevard Brewing Co. - Kansas City, MO - BeerAdvocate
    IMGreat101 likes this.

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

I'd like to see what happened afterwards!

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale

Boulevard Brewing Company Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale Kansas City, MO

It is summer time, it is hot, and I have offically decided that farmhouse ales are where it at for this time of year. Between Avondale and now this offering from Boulevard Brewing Co I don't think you can go wrong if you want a full flavored but lighter offering for the hottest part of the year. What is a farmhouse ale you ask? All About Beer Magazine Farmhouse Ales

Just remember open fermentation.

Regardless of the art behind the brewing these ales and this one is included make me want to sit in the shade by my smoker. This brew feels light but it will grab you with its 8% abv. Very complex flavoring that just makes your mouth feel alive, so much so that the alcohol is missed. This can be a good or bad thing depending on your perspective I suppose. This is the kind of brew that I would give to someone that came over to help me with an outdoor project in hopes that they would likely volunteer their time again to get some more of the brew. This is good enough it would probably work too. If you look closely at the picture you can actually see the yeast floating around in the glass. Once you taste it, you will not care. This has a fruity taste that is countered by a note of spice. Very invigorating.

What the pros say:
    Tank 7 Farmhouse Ale - Boulevard Brewing Co. - Kansas City, MO - BeerAdvocate
    I will be back in KC late August to follow up on Smoking Guns BBQ new location. A few of these will accompany my bbq.
    To Live Is To Eat

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by IMGreat101 View Post
    I will be back in KC late August to follow up on Smoking Guns BBQ new location. A few of these will accompany my bbq.
    Defiantly get by that brewery. Complete chance I got a hold of this while you were in KC. Be sure to give those new SEC members a big ROLL TIDE for me too.

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Been lazy on the beer review, due to work. Anyone can do this and it is awesome:

Known as a "Black and Blue" or as I like to call it, "A Bad Moon Rising"

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    To Live Is To Eat

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    My last free night before going on call Thursday night for an entire week. Gotta blow it out (that means about two pints of high gravity brew). We gotta get some folks from here together at the Vineyard or the devil is gonna get us. If we are lucky the devil will bring some Lucifer Belgian Ale:

Bottled with a cork like Chimay and is a slightly cheaper but similar tasting ale:

Pours light and crisp:

What we have here is a yeasty and hoppy ale that pours with a lot of foam if you are rushed. It will lace the glass all the way to the bottom as you drink it. The fruity hoppiness is tempered by a bite of 8.5% abv. Not my favorite Belgian Ale, but don't let that fool you, I've said before I have yet to drink any beer from Belgium that is bad. This is good just not great. However, if you want to save a few bucks on a bomber this came in at $10. For a lighter ale this will do.

What the pros say: Lucifer - Brouwerij Het Anker - Mechelen, Belgium - BeerAdvocate

Others and my rating on ratebeer.com: Lucifer (2009 - ...) - 78 at RateBeer, Showing Five0's review

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Daddy is off call and hit the store right after getting cleaned up from the gym. Got three different offerings and will start off with the beer that was featured on the City Vineyard facebook page:

Oude Gueuze Tilquin L'Ancienne

A Traditional Belgian Lambic Ale

Brewed by:
    Gueuzerie Tilquin
    Belgium

Style | ABV
    Gueuze | 6.00% ABV

Availibility: Year-round. bottle (157).

Notes:
    Oude Gueuze Tilquin l’Ancienne (6.0% alc/vol) is a spontaneous fermentation beer, produced from the blending of 1, 2 and 3 years old lambics. It is unfiltered and unpasteurized, and refermented in the bottle for at least 6 months. The lambics used were fermented and oak aged in our installations. These lambics are coming from worts brewed by Boon, Lindemans, Girardin and Cantillon breweries.

This beer has a very tart almost citrus bite at first. Very refreshing finish, but almost too sweet for my taste. Not to say that it is bad. Remember, I have yet to find a bad Belgian Ale, but my palate has grown more accustomed to a high gravity taste and this is just too sweet to me. I have no doubt that a warmer weather outdoor situation would make me appreciate this beer more. Especially with the very vibrant high carbonation that just pops in your mouth. The more I drink it the more it is growing on me though. I do absolutely love the color and I really love the aroma. This just smells like a good farmhouse ale. This will sound weird, but breathing in the aroma of this ale makes me appreciate its unique tartness. Defiantly an offering for all the senses. Careful opening this one though. It will make a mess or send a cork flying if you are ready.

My rating and the ratings of others on ratebeer.com: Oude Gueuze Tilquin lAncienne - 100 at RateBeer
    IMGreat101 likes this.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Daddy is off call and hit the store right after getting cleaned up from the gym. Got three different offerings and will start off with the beer that was featured on the City Vineyard facebook page:

Oude Gueuze Tilquin L'Ancienne

A Traditional Belgian Lambic Ale

Brewed by:
    Gueuzerie Tilquin
    Belgium

Style | ABV
    Gueuze | 6.00% ABV

Availibility: Year-round. bottle (157).

Notes:
    Oude Gueuze Tilquin l’Ancienne (6.0% alc/vol) is a spontaneous fermentation beer, produced from the blending of 1, 2 and 3 years old lambics. It is unfiltered and unpasteurized, and refermented in the bottle for at least 6 months. The lambics used were fermented and oak aged in our installations. These lambics are coming from worts brewed by Boon, Lindemans, Girardin and Cantillon breweries.

This beer has a very tart almost citrus bite at first. Very refreshing finish, but almost too sweet for my taste. Not to say that it is bad. Remember, I have yet to find a bad Belgian Ale, but my palate has grown more accustomed to a high gravity taste and this just sweet to me. I have no doubt that a warmer weather outdoor situation would make me appreciate this beer better. Especially with the very vibrant high carbonation that just pops in your mouth. The more I drink it the more it is growing on me though. I do absolutely love the color and I really love the aroma. This just smells like a good farmhouse ale. This will sound weird, but breathing in the aroma of this ale makes me appreciate its unique tartness. Defiantly an offering for all the senses. Careful opening this one though. It will make a mess or send a cork flying if you are ready.

My rating and the ratings of others on ratebeer.com: Oude Gueuze Tilquin lAncienne - 100 at RateBeer
    I will have to seek this one out! Sounds great!

This Sunday we are having a few friends over. One of them happens to be the most knowledgeable beer person I have ever met. I have forwarded the menu to him and he is coming up with the beers to go with....

The Menu

Chicken Wings

Thai
    Honey Garlic glazed
    Cilantro Lime
    Traditional Buffalo

Sides

Julienne celery and carrot with bleu chz ranch dip
    Grilled Spring Onions with coriander chutney
    My homemade fried taters with savory dips

Inside seating will have blues music, outside will be rock n roll.
    To Live Is To Eat

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I would be interested in his recommendations and his take on the reviews thus far above too.

Supporting Member Lvl 2
    lewisipso likes this.
    To Live Is To Eat

lewisipso is offline Injustice/Indifference/In God we trust
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    In related news Scotch is good but is not my friend.
    Do not war for peace. If you must war, war for justice. For without justice there is no peace. -me

We are who we choose to be.

R.I.P. Arielle. 08/20/2010-09/16/2012

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    Now you're talking Lew.

To paraphrase Crocodile Dundee over all those bottled beers.

"You can drink them, but they taste like shit".
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 06-11-12, 08:02 PM

Thread Information