Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast
Like Tree6Likes

Thread: Beer Review

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator

Beer Review

I recently decided to briefly take a break from my usual waist conscious choice in beer (Michelob Ultra) and truly wow my palate with some real beer. My choice in this matter was an offering from Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA. I would write my own review, but I found this and it blew anything I could compose out of the water:

Samuel Adams Latitude 48: A Smooth IPA for Your Drinking Pleasure - Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Ale - Epinions.com

Click the link for the full review

Samuel Adams Latitude 48: A Smooth IPA for Your Drinking Pleasure
    Written: Jul 12 '10

Product Rating:
    Pros: Good balance; Nice hop blend; Good aftertaste

Cons: Not easy to find; Not quite a classic

The Bottom Line: Samuel Adams Latitude IPA isn't incredible, but it is quite tasty in its own way.

Bryan_Carey's Full Review: Samuel Adams Latitude 48 Ale
    New beer product offerings seem to be a regular part of business for some breweries and one company to which this statement certainly applies is Boston Beer, maker of the popular Samuel Adams lineup of beer products. Its latest offering is part of its Brewmaster's Series. It's Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA, a relatively smooth American IPA.

Beer Facts and Figures:

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA pours to a copper color with a nose that offers caramel, floral, fruit, and herbal hops. This beer sports a nice head of foam and it maintains a small layer as you drink.

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA has a memorable taste that offers up flavors such as caramel malt, earthy hops, grapefruit, and other citrus. The finish is slightly bitter, but not much, and is nicely balanced for this style. The beer is medium in body and slightly oily. The aftertaste is very pleasant and features the flavor of malty, toasted biscuits.

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA is brewed using two- row harrington, metcalfe, caramel 60, copeland pale, and Gambrinus honey malts; Hallertau mittelfrueh noble, East Kent Goldings, Simcoe, Zeus, and Ahtanum hops; and ale yeast. The final analysis on this product shows an alcohol level of 5.8 percent by volume and 200 calories in a 12 oz. serving.

Final Thoughts:

Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA is a tasty American IPA from America's best- known craft brewing operation. This IPA is brewed using five different malts and five different hops. It takes its name from the 48th parallel of latitude, which is the approximate geographic location where the hops used in this beer are grown.

Samuel Adams includes Latitude 48 IPA in its Brewmasters Collection- a group that includes the likes of Sam Adams Cherry Wheat, Sam Adams Honey Porter, Sam Adams Boston Ale, and other favorites. Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA has been in production for several months now, but I hadn't seen it in stores until recently when it showed up as part of Samuel Adams sampler packs. Always a fan of the IPA style, I noticed this new product, purchased the sampler, and hoped for the best.

I certainly wasn't disappointed with my buying decision, but I did notice that Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA is a little different from the typical hop- bomb American IPA. This product is smoother than the average American IPA and in many ways, it reminds me of an English pale ale with some additional hops. You can certainly taste the hops in this beer, but they do not take their presence to extremes, like many American IPA are prone to do.

Speaking of the hops, they combine to create a tasty and memorable combination. Here, you have a beer that brings together five different hops, with each contributing either an earthy, citrusy, or floral character. You can detect these in the nose and in the taste. The flavor sensations dance back and forth on the palate, creating a memorable combination. There is also a solid malt backbone to this product, leading to a taste that is balanced.

Overall, Samuel Adams Latitude 48 IPA is a very good offering from Samuel Adams and it's a product I hope to find very soon in its own six- pack carriers. It isn't quite as complex as some of the super- hopped American IPA and not quite as memorable, but it is still very tasty in its own way and it's certainly a beer worthy of sampling.

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I see you lazy SOBs are going to make me buy a different six pack every time I need beer to keep this rolling.

"When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Five-0 View Post
    I see you lazy SOBs are going to make me buy a different six pack every time I need beer to keep this rolling.
    I enjoy making you suffer for your art.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    We are a bunch of little enablers, aren't we?
    To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

Reca is offline Administrator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Owner
    Blog Entries
    I picked up a 6er of the Samuel Adams Latitude 48. I will tell you that this is a very hoppy beer. I will start by saying IPS"s are my favorite beers. I would have to put this one up there among one of the higher IBU's that are on the current market. I really enjoyed the Latitude 48 but it is kinda pricey coming in at 8.99 for a 6er.
    I will be starting my own IPA next month when one of my wines finish up. Very excited to see how it turns out considering I am making 5 gallons for around $30.
    Check your feelings at the door!

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Reca" on Officerresource.com

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Heck yeah!!

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Well, now that it is getting good and hot outside it is time to start looking at some lighter crisper beers. I for one cannot think of a single thing besides beer that Belgium does well. As long as they make beers this good that is just fine by me too. May I present Hoegaarden Belgian White Beer:

Thought I would reward myself after a good hard trip to the gym this afternoon so I picked up the above six pack. Cost $9.71 after tax, tag, and title. This is a light looking, but full flavored crisp beer. Perfect for hotter weather. Even though it looks light and tastes light (well compared the above IPA) it will set you back if you are counting the calories. 153 per bottle. Good thing I burned close to a 1000 in the gym today. Oh well on to the better written than I could write review:

Hoegaarden White - Beer Tasting Notes and Review for Hoegaarden White

Click the link for the full review

The Bottom Line

Hoegaarden is the original Belgian white beer. It is best enjoyed as close to the brewery as possible as this is a beer that doesn't travel well. But it is still worth a taste wherever you find it.
    Manufacturer's Site
    Pros

The Original Belgian White
    Refreshing
    Easy to drink
    Cons

Doesn't travel well
    Hard to find
    Often poorly imitated
    Description

The original Belgian White
    Light, refreshing wheat.
    Wonderful summer ale.
    Guide Review - Hoegaarden White Beer Tasting Notes and Review

Hoegaarden is the modern day original Belgian white. There are a number of imitators but none have really attained the perfect balance of sublety and complexity that Hoegaarden makes seem so simple. I first had this beer in a cafe in Maastricht, Holland. It was a truly memorable experience. This beer was a revelation to me and, in some ways, was responsible for my ongoing fascination with beer.

I was pleased to find a bottle of Hoegaarden at my local grocery store recently and I snatched it up. Unfortunately I learned that it doesn't travel very well. Where that beer that I had in Holland was complex and rich in flavor the bottle that found me in Missouri had lost a lot. Nevertheless it is still a nice beer but if you have a chance try it as close to the source in Belguim as possible.

I'm sad to say that I wasn't keeping tasting notes when I had that first one in Holland so I can only share my notes on Hoegaarden with jet lag. In appearance it is perfect. It has a thick, rocky head that piles high above the rim of the glass. The beer is very pale, lighter in color than Pilsner, and cloudy. The cloudiness contributes a whiteness to the appearance, thus the name. The nose is full of fresh hops with some grains and yeast. It has a thin mouthfeel. Bananas and cloves are immediately evident in the flavor with a sweet and spicy finish.

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    One of my favorite is the Guinness Draught
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

bayern is offline Officer First Class
    Verified LEO
    Right now (or in a few hrs at it now 0800here I'll be drinking Ojuzsko or Karlovacko. They are not as smooth as German Beers but ain"t bad at $3.00 for a big bottle.

McCrackhd is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by bayern View Post
    Right now (or in a few hrs at it now 0800here I'll be drinking Ojuzsko or Karlovacko. They are not as smooth as German Beers but ain"t bad at $3.00 for a big bottle.

Never heard of those. What type of beer is it? We don't have it down here. In regards to Hoegarden: I find it too fruity and sweet. Never was much of a fan of the IPA's. Think I'll just stick to Weihenstephaner (not sure if I spelled it right) and St. Pauli Girl.
    YOUR ATTENTION, DO I F@#%ING HAVE IT?

I swear to Christ, if I survive this I'm gonna dance a jig!

RMFT-Bama fans get it

The views and opinions expressed on this site are not mine. They belong to my alter ego, Mathazar. Therefore, only Mathazar and his two brothers should be held responsible for the crap that is posted on this site under my name.

gopherpuckfan is offline I'm from the government and I'm here to help
    Verified LEO
    I don't know how you guys have such a sensitive palate. I know I like beer. I know I can't stand Budweiser or any of the other mainstream beers. I love many craft beers and do the Old Chicago World Beer Tour so I am exposed to more beer. I can't sit down and tell you what aromas or tastes are present in the beer, other than citrus. Any tips?
    The views expressed in the above post are the sole opinion of the author and do not reflect any official position by the author's employer and/or municipality.

Ace
    Ace is offline haud pacis pro scelestus
    Verified LEO
    I'm a big fan of Sam Adams, the Lat 48 is a good one. The only one from Sam that I've tried and not liked was the Nobil Pihls.
    RIP Sarah Noll~11-8-87 to 4-17-08

213th is offline Solipsist
    I just tried Sam Adams Summer Ale. it's pretty good.
    He who has the money, signs the cheques.
    He who signs the cheques, makes the rules.
    He who makes the rules, has the power.
    He who has the power, has the money.

Ace
    Ace is offline haud pacis pro scelestus
    Verified LEO
    Summer Ale is good.
    RIP Sarah Noll~11-8-87 to 4-17-08

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ace View Post
    Summer Ale is good.

I was looking for it when I picked up the Hoegaarden.

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by 213th View Post
    I just tried Sam Adams Summer Ale. it's pretty good.
    Last night I heard people discussing

http://beeradvocate.com/beer/profile/710/36010
    To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Anyone else a fan of Woodchuck Hard Cider?
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson

Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Quote Originally Posted by Ducky View Post
    Anyone else a fan of Woodchuck Hard Cider?

Is that a beer?

Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Is that a beer?

No, not a beer, but as we don't have any other thread that comes even close I figured Why Not? It's not like I mentioned wine coolers.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 06-11-12, 08:02 PM

Thread Information