Welcome to the APBWeb.
    irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO

Slow-Cooker Texas Style Chili con Carne

I made this yesterday for dinner and it was FANTASTIC!! Lots of leftovers and very filling! I left out the cumin (I couldn't find it in my pantry...mr.irishmick moved it), added some liquid smoke, doubled the bacon (we like our pork products), used way more than 5 cloves of garlic, and used the whole can of chipotle peppers in adobo sauce. Oh, I also left out the cilantro, salt, and sugar but added shredded cheddar and sour cream.

8 oz bacon (about 8 sliced), chopped medium
    Vegetable oil
    1 5-pound boneless beef chuck roast, trimmed and cut into pieces
    Salt and pepper
    3 jalapeno chiles, stemmed, seeded, and minced
    3 Tbsp chili powder
    2 Tbsp cumin
    5 garlic cloves, minced
    1 28-oz can crushed tomatoes
    6 (6-inch) corn tortillas, torn into 2-inch pieces
    4 cups chicken broth
    2 chipotle chiles in adobo sauce, chopped medium
    2 tsp sugar
    3 (15.5 oz) cans red kidney beans, rinsed (optional)
    1/4 c minced fresh cilantro
    2 Tbsp fresh lime juice

1. Cook the bacon in a 12-inch skillet over medium heat until crisp, about 8 minutes. Add the bacon to the slow cooker, reserving the bacon fat separately (you should have at least 2 tablespoons but if not, substitute vegetable oil for the missing bacon fat).

2. Dry the beef with paper towels, then season with salt and pepper. Add 2 teaspoons of the bacon fat to the skillet and heat over medium-high heat until just smoking. Brown half of the beef, about 10 minutes, then add to the slow cooker. Return the skillet to medium-high heat and repeat with 2 more teaspoons of bacon fat and remaining beef.

3. Add the remaining 2 teaspoons bacon fat to the empty skillet and return to medium heat until shimmering. Add the onion, jalapenos, chili powder, cumin, and 1/4 teaspoon salt. Cook until the onion has softened, about 5 minutes. Stir in the garlic and cook for 15 seconds. Stir in the tomatoes, scraping up any browned bits. Bring to a simmer, then pour into the slow cooker.

4. Combine the tortillas and 1 cup of the chicken broth in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high until mushy, about 2 minutes. Puree the mixture in a food processor or blender until smooth, about 1 minute. Stir into the slow cooker. Add the remaining 3 cups chicken broth, chipotles, and sugar to the slow cooker.

5. Cover and cook, on either low or high, until the meat is tender, 9 to 10 hours on low or 6 to 7 hours on high. Stir in the beans (if using) during the last hour of cooking. Before serving, stir in the cilantro and lime juice and season with salt and pepper to taste.
    --"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

LEWTFM is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO
    Pics of finished product?

Captain America is offline Reed and Malloy were my FTOs
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    More bacon !! Sounds yummy.
    SI VIS PACEM PARA BELLUM

"It's a great life. You risk your skin catching killers and the juries turn them loose so they can come back and shoot at you again. If your honest , your poor your whole life. And , In the end , you wind up dying all alone on some dirty street. For what? For nothing. For a tin star."
    -Ex-Sheriff Martin Howe to Will Kane in "High Noon"

Far from being a handicap to command, compassion is the measure of it. For unless one values the lives of his soldiers and is tormented by their ordeals , he is unfit to command.
    -General Omar Bradley, United States Army

Renniger-Richards-Griswold-Owens

irishmick is offline Do not mistake my kindness for weakness.
    Verified LEO
    The pictures aren't great since it's been in the fridge...but here you go! Meaty!

--"D.B.A.D." --Me

--Life's tough...it's tougher if you're stupid.

--"Genius may have its limitations, but stupidity is not thus handicapped." -Elbert Hubbard

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Beef, bacon, and spicy. How can that EVER go wrong?? Sounds great!
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    On my to cook list!
    To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    That looks great, irishmick! I will definitely have to try it.

Thread Information