Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Hawk1 is offline Sheepdog
    Verified LEO

BBQ rotisserie..school me

So the wife has bought an electric rostisserie to be used with our barbeque. I thought I might get some pre marinated Greek lamb (Yum!!) and have a bit of a cook up.

Has anyway any tips i.e. prepaertion on meats, how long and what temp to cook at? Our barbie has a roasting hood, so that should help, I've not cook with one of these, it'd be a shame to destroy good lamb with my shoddy skills.
    "Contrary to popular belief, you will not rise to the occasion, but will fall to the level of your training"

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Get a thermometer, and watch it; don't rely on time. The wireless digital ones are nice -- though I tend to just get an inexpensive one at the grocery store that I'm not heartbroken saying goodbye to when it gets too scorched. You can use an instant read, but you end up guessing and poking a lot holes to see when the meat is done.

If you have the ability, don't put the meat directly over a fire. For example, my grill has 3 burners; I put the meat in the middle and turn that burner either off or all the way down with the rotisserie. Depending on what I'm cooking, I'll turn the other two burners somewhere around medium; generally, you want to let the meat cook a little slower. You may want to put a foil pan or even just several layers of foil directly under the meat, over the burners to cut down on flare ups.

Put some oil on the skewer and the tines that come from the collars to hold the meat. Don't forget the tines -- it's easy to do, and they'll stick worse than the main skewer.

I like to do a round roast on the rotisserie. I'll rub it with black pepper, salt, a little sage or thyme, and I'll cut up some garlic, and actually poke it into the meat. Stick it on the rotisserie, keeping it on medium, maybe a little higher until the meat is done to preference; personally, that's medium rare to medium. Usually it's roughly an hour or so for around 3 or 4 pounds, though, as I said, rely on the thermometer. Put it in at the thicker end, parallel to the skewer.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    Get a thermometer, and watch it; don't rely on time. The wireless digital ones are nice -- though I tend to just get an inexpensive one at the grocery store that I'm not heartbroken saying goodbye to when it gets too scorched. You can use an instant read, but you end up guessing and poking a lot holes to see when the meat is done.

If you have the ability, don't put the meat directly over a fire. For example, my grill has 3 burners; I put the meat in the middle and turn that burner either off or all the way down with the rotisserie. Depending on what I'm cooking, I'll turn the other two burners somewhere around medium; generally, you want to let the meat cook a little slower. You may want to put a foil pan or even just several layers of foil directly under the meat, over the burners to cut down on flare ups.

Put some oil on the skewer and the tines that come from the collars to hold the meat. Don't forget the tines -- it's easy to do, and they'll stick worse than the main skewer.

I like to do a round roast on the rotisserie. I'll rub it with black pepper, salt, a little sage or thyme, and I'll cut up some garlic, and actually poke it into the meat. Stick it on the rotisserie, keeping it on medium, maybe a little higher until the meat is done to preference; personally, that's medium rare to medium. Usually it's roughly an hour or so for around 3 or 4 pounds, though, as I said, rely on the thermometer. Put it in at the thicker end, parallel to the skewer.
    Studding meat is a great idea. Play with other spices with garlic.
    http://onceuponafeast.blogspot.com/2...-lamb-and.html

Try brining too!
    http://bbq.about.com/od/brinerecipes...or_poultry.htm
    To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Brining is THE BOMB for pork and birds... just saying!
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    update?
    To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

Hawk1 is offline Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    The first attempt was ok, a little under cooked for my liking, the mrs and kids wouldn't eat it (our dog thought it tasted delicious though ). My second attempt was pretty good, even if I do say so myself! I think it'll take a few more attempts before I am entirely confident with it, but you have to start somewhere, right??
    "Contrary to popular belief, you will not rise to the occasion, but will fall to the level of your training"

Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hawk1 View Post
    I thought I might get some pre marinated Greek lamb (Yum!!) and have a bit of a cook up.
    :sheep:

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Did you use a meat thermometer? Or just guess based on time? Remember that the thermometer in the grill itself isn't something I'd rely on. Maybe if you used an oven thermometer in the grill... In fact, I just got a new grill, and may get myself a thermometer for the grill.

And, yes, I did get a new rotisserie to go with it.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Thread Information