Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Jenna is offline sheep
    Premium Lifetime Member

10-year-old boy mistakenly given alcohol

According to the police report, the boy ordered a smoothie at an Olive Garden restaurant in Indianapolis on Thursday night but was mistakenly given a rum drink instead. Police said the waitress put the 4-ounce drink down in front of the boy and he drank about half of it immediately.

Read more here: http://www.miamiherald.com/2012/04/2...#storylink=cpy

copboy is offline Officer First Class
    There have been several stories like this recently. I think some of it has to do with chains such as Olive Garden, Applebees and Fridays getting all their drinks from the bar no matter if it is alcoholic or not. This leads to a greater risk of a mix up especially when you throw in factors such as over worked servers/ bar tenders, busy restaurants, and pore training on all parts. I know my kids will get their kiddy cup in front of them and drain half of it before the server can place the next glass down on the table. I highly doubt there was any malicious intent on the part of the server. I don't know if her termination was warranted ( it there were other issues then I could see it being) but it sounds like she owned up and also reported it her self when she noticed it. I think it all comes down to training and a need for separation of alcohol and non alcohol beverage serving areas.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    I had the same thought... For all we know from the article, the kid wanted a non-alcoholic version of a daiquiri or the like -- and the server grabbed the wrong one at the bar. I do have an issue that her first action was to go to her boss, not get the drink out of the kid's hands and tell the parents... but assuming the timing was reasonable, that's not unbearable. Firing her for this, unless there were other problems, was a little extreme, I think.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Rhino is offline Meat-eater & Fire-breather
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by copboy View Post
    There have been several stories like this recently. I think some of it has to do with chains such as Olive Garden, Applebees and Fridays getting all their drinks from the bar no matter if it is alcoholic or not.
    I can promise you after a few lawsuits, the problem will be fixed. Or these crappy chain restaurants will go bankrupt. Either way, it's a win.
    "If everyone is thinking alike, then someone isn't thinking." -Gen. George S. Patton

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I would hope these restaurants have a system that garnishes the non-alcohol drinks differently. Perhaps they fired the wrong person?

Leave the alcohol out of my drink and you will be fired.
    To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

Reca is offline Administrator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Owner
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IMGreat101 View Post
    I would hope these restaurants have a system that garnishes the non-alcohol drinks differently. Perhaps they fired the wrong person?

Leave the alcohol out of my drink and you will be fired.

Back in my high school days I worked at Chi-Chi's and they had certain glasses for alcoholic and nonalcoholic drinks as well as different garnishes.
    Check your feelings at the door!

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Reca" on Officerresource.com

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Reca View Post
    Back in my high school days I worked at Chi-Chi's and they had certain glasses for alcoholic and nonalcoholic drinks as well as different garnishes.

ahhhh, Chi-Chi's, good times

We had one here as well. We used to go there after work, nearly filling the bar to capacity.
    To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

Reca is offline Administrator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Owner
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by IMGreat101 View Post
    ahhhh, Chi-Chi's, good times

We had one here as well. We used to go there after work, nearly filling the bar to capacity.
    Damn Salmonella killed that place but I sure miss it.
    Check your feelings at the door!

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Reca" on Officerresource.com

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Reca View Post
    I remember the same thing (among other things -- would you really want to give a margarita glass to a kid?!)... but I can see the mistake happening as the slushy/ice drinks have become more popular for both adults and kids. It's possible the server should have been fired -- but I'd want to see more than one mistake.
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Thread Information