Welcome to the APBWeb.
Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By krauty

Thread: Who Has The Better State Fair: Iowa Or Minnesota?

Jim1348 is offline Rookie
    Verified LEO

Who Has The Better State Fair: Iowa Or Minnesota?

For those of you still recovering from the Iowa State Fair, there is still time to drive up to the Great White North and check out the fair in Falcon Heights. Although I was in bed last night when the original segment was broadcast, here are some URLs to bring you up to speed. In fact, if you click the third URL, you can watch live news broadcast from the fair during news times. I don't know if this is true, but I have heard that Minnesota is unique in that local TV and radio broadcasters have remote studios on site.

Who has the better state fair: Iowa or Minnesota? | kare11.com

Welcome to the Minnesota State Fair

Minnesota News Live Video on FOX 9 - KMSP-TV

FALCON HEIGHTS, Minn. - Midwesterners are not programmed for bragging. It's one of our better qualities. But all bets are off when it comes to our state fairs.
    "Absolutely the best state fair," said one Minnesotan, with the certainty of someone who had been to every other state fair. Children in the Gopher State are born knowing it's not just the "good" Minnesota get together. So it may come as a shock to Minnesotans that one state to our south exists another state with a fair superiority complex. "Nothing compares to the Iowa State Fair," blared the television commercials leading up to the Hawkeye State's 12-day celebration earlier this month.
    For Iowa residents, it's not hyperbole. "Well, nothing beats the Iowa State Fair," says Elisabeth Reed on Iowa fair's opening day. At the slightest prompting, she bursts into song with her mother: "Our state fair is a great state fair, don't miss it, don't even be late." As any Iowan can tell you, the song belongs to them, written by Rodgers and Hammerstein for the Broadway musical "State Fair," based on the novel by the same name, written by an Iowan. It later became a movie too, cementing Iowa's state fair as the most iconic of them all. At least that's how Iowans see it. Minnesota will have to concede songs, movies and Broadway plays. But how do the two state's fairs compare in other areas? Longevity: Iowa wins by half a decade. The first Iowa State Fair was held in 1854. Minnesota got its fair act together in 1859. Size: The nod again goes to Iowa. Located east of downtown Des Moines, the Iowa fairgrounds cover 435 acres, including a spacious campground. Minnesota's fairgrounds cover 320 acres. Attendance: Minnesota wins by a landslide. In 2012 the Iowa State Fair attracted just shy of 1.1 million people. Minnesota's state fair pulled in nearly 1.8 million people. Only the Texas State Fair is better attended. Food: Even several Iowans we spoke to -- who have been to both fairs -- gave the edge to Minnesota. Iowa has its fair share of food on a stick, but Minnesota's state fair has become as much about food as it is about agriculture -- maybe more so. Iowa's signature food: Pork chop on a stick. The Iowa Pork Producers sell roughly 60,000 of them during the run of the fair. In Minnesota, Sweet Martha's Cookies are the most popular food item. Fairgoers consume 10 million of the served-hot chocolate chip cookies each year. Politics: Even including this category could be perceived as unfair to Minnesota. Iowa's first-in-the-nation caucuses attract a herd of politicians with presidential aspirations. Some of them have even been elected. Seven current or future presidents have visited the Iowa state fair, though one of them, Ronald Reagan, actually did it as a young broadcaster working for WHO Radio in the 1930s. Herbert Hoover, Dwight Eisenhower, Gerald Ford, Jimmy Carter, George W. Bush and Barack Obama all made stops at the Iowa State Fair. That said, in 1901 when Teddy Roosevelt famously said "Speak softly and carry a big stick," he did it at the fair in Minnesota. Carved Butter: For 102 years Iowans have stood in line to pay homage to their 600 pound butter cow. It's the fair's most cherished tradition. Minnesota's state fair offers 12 princesses carved out of butter. The state's newly crowned Princess Kay of the Milky Way, Marjenna McWilliam, has a counterpoint. "Each of ours is 90 pounds and we have 12 so if you do the math, technically, we use more butter," she says. "I've thought this through." Big Boar: Both fairs captivate visitors to the swine barn with a "largest boar." In Minnesota this year's title went to Big Kenny, who tipped the scales at 1,045 Pounds. Otis, an Iowa Boar, was even bigger, arriving at the fair at 1,103 pounds. In the interest of conciliation, we'll give the final say to the fair's spokespeople who say any rivalry that exists is purely fun. "Us fair people, we're all friends," says Brienna Schuette of the Minnesota State Fair. Lori Chappell, the spokesperson for the Iowa State Fair added, "You know they're both wonderful fairs, and truly people should visit both."

krauty is offline Corporal
    Verified LEO
    Did you really just compare MN and IA?!
    IMGreat101 likes this.

IMGreat101 is offline The Butcher
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    The Iowa State Fair has numerous radio and tv stations broadcasting live every day of the fair. I visit with a few every year. In fact if anyone would have paid attention to my fb and my fair posts here you could have won a bottle of wine by identifying one of the dj's.

Back to comparing the fairs. It is hard to compare food. At least three of my favorites, Ollie's Crab Fritters, Quesadilla Junction and Cinnie Smith's are from MN. And one thing about those delicious Pork chops on a stick, they are injected with lard. How can you not love that! I do know of the famous Sweet Martha's cookies. The Iowa State Fair also has fresh baked cookies, tho I have not tried them. Funnel cakes have run their course for me. They are overmarketed and worn out their welcome. The new bacon wrapped rib on a stick was inconsistent both in quality and quantity. I know a lot of people complain about the price of beer. Most are $6-$7 for the standard size cup. You could find the standard size cup for $5 if you knew where to look. That is why I hike a ways after grabbing a bite to eat. The Iowa Craft Beer tent may be unique. This year had 19 local breweries with 49 of their tastiest beers. If a keg blew while they are pouring your beer, you got a free t-shirt exclaiming "I tapped it!". The bbq at The Rib Shack is usually spot on. Although I do not like her rub. I have known Joni (owner) for over 5 years. She always does good business. Just make sure you put sauce on everything.

This is not about attendance or how many pounds of butter are on display. This is not about who has the most food or beer. I think we are all fortunate to have the best fairs in the nation and be only three hours drive away from each other.
    To Live Is To Eat

IMG could turn a conversation about the weather into a mouthwatering food story. - Cidp24

And always add bacon! - Shad Kirton, Co-owner/Chef Smokey D's

There are no stupid questions, just stupid people asking questions.

Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Solomon

We were all born wild. It was up to our parents to domesticate us.

pgg
    pgg is offline Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Which one has tri tip
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Wisconsin.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Thread Information