Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Bluegrass Holsters is offline Custom Holster Maker
    Authorized Vendor

Holster Ideas/Wants/Needs

Greetings folks...

In order to serve you better I am asking for your input on what you would like to see in your ideal holster. Now I already have some good models, but in moving forward I would like to hear from potential customers as to what would make their ideal rig....before we get started I am working on a retention holster which should be out shortly! There will likely not be anything more than a Level 1 holster as my prefered rigs are concealed carry rigs. This being said I am waiting for a police chief to send me rig from the 80's to evaluate and possibly copy for him....this may become a production item.

So, let me have your comments on carry styles, design, things you like or dislike about available holsters, etc.

thanks in advance! Be safe!
    Brock Morgan
    Bluegrass Holsters
    www.bluegrassholsters.com

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I want the following, and I am asking for the moon:

IWB

Leather that does not squeak - stitching issue?

Fully lined, I hate picking leather bits off my $1800 gun

1911 full sized with a sight track, see above complaint

I want it to be able to move when I sit down, sorta like the old Ayoob Rear Guard, but a little more stable.

I want it to be reinforced on the top so I can reholster it one handed

You make it, I'll buy it!

Edited to add: Please make a matching offside mag pouch!
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I would love a leather holster that's pancake style and has a snap for retention. I have the kydex stuff for conceal carry but I want something with a little retention for when I open carry during training and less formal "on duty" assignments. Black leather just looks classy and I'd like something on belt loops with a snap for that little bit of retention.

ETA: I like Maclean's ideas too, a fully lined holster would be a nice touch.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

jmiahhenry is offline Rookie
    I would like to have a tight fitting, paddle that is leather and just looks really sleak. Nothing fancy but I do like black instead of the brown.

I also would like to have a holster that you can reholster with just one hand,not having to have to hold the holster with the other hand. I also would like to have a matching mag holder.
    J-Miah

narcodog is offline Rookie
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    A good holster that won't break the bank. Oh features, site rail and able to accommodate a light, paddle type.
    "A Knights Oath
    A Knight is sworn to valor; His Heart only knows virtue; His Blade defends the helpless; His Might upholds the weak; His Words speak only the truth; His Wrath undoes the wicked"

Aspire to Inspire

conalabu is offline Grasshopper
    Verified LEO
    Something that I can carry off duty, concealed without the thing printing so bad that I might as well be wearing it open. I have an Uncle Mike's holster now that I use (kind of like a fabric sleeve with a plastic clip), but the thing wears out pretty quick and I am not real big on a plastic clip (retention ain't that great). I am looking for both an outside the pants and an inside the pant band. A good ankle holster is always a bonus, too.
    And Shepards we shall be,
    for thee, My Lord, for thee,
    Power hath descended forth from Thy hand,
    That our feet may swiftly carry out Thy Command.
    So we shall flow a river forth to Thee
    And teeming with souls will it ever be.
    In Nomine Patris, Et Filli, Et Spiritus Sancti.

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    How about something that gives the security of the pancake-style belt loops but is easily removed like a paddle holster...

Or one that can give several wearing options, like inside-the-waistband or paddle, or small of the back...

(Those ideas oughta keep you thinking for a while!)
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

MonsterMash is offline Proud 3%er
    I want a concealable holster that:

A: Has a thumb break for retention.

B: Can accomodate a weaponlight.

C: Has a sturdy, one peice belt loop. (I hate the 3 slot belt loops)

D: Has no canting, either frontwards or backwards. It is made to ride straight up.

E. Is a midride type.
    Are you a 3%er? If you aren't, you should be.

Donut Aficionado is offline The Hillbilly Warlord
    Verified LEO
    A mid-ride belt slide style pancake made for the M&P9 with a snap for retention, lined, open top so I re-holster one handed. Oh I need it left handed. And an open top matching extra mag holder. Black in color.

PM me with an estimate. Are you internet only or do you have a store to visit? I make trips to KY and would love to stop in if you have a retail site.
    Insert witty comment and disclaimer here.

Xiphos is online now I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The matching mag holder idea is nice, how about a combo mag and cuff carrier?
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Authorized Vendor
    hey folks.....great ideas one and all....

I will be posting detailed information, more questions, and answering your questions in another post this afternoon.

Again, keep the comments coming and I appreciate the information thus far. If there is anything you have NOT seen in the way of leather gear, or something you thought that would have made your life just a tad nicer at one time, PM me your comments so that I can evaluate any possible solutions. If your "new" idea is something I use then that person will become an evaluator with a free product once it is developed.

Stay tuned for the larger response later today.
    Brock Morgan
    Bluegrass Holsters

Authorized Vendor
    Well, this will be a long reply attempting to comment or ask questions regarding some of the ideas, requests, and general comments post thus far in this thread. Again, thank you for your input!

Quote Originally Posted by maclean View Post
    I want the following, and I am asking for the moon:

IWB

I have two models currently in production and two additional versions of those models designed with "Extreme/Extra Cant" which will be around 20-25 degrees. This will allow folks without tactical girth to hide their firearm further back (5:00 position) while retaining a decent grip/draw.

Leather that does not squeak - stitching issue?

Some makers have mentioned that this is a stitching issue and I disagree. Rather this is caused by surface to surface contact with leather items, some of which may be finished differently which allows the squeaking to occur. Application of talc or similar powder lightly will eliminate the squeak without harming the leather. I will be offering various finishes in the future, however, my holsters now have an acrylic finish which seals the leather fibers from moisture...and in some cases they do have a little squeak until you lightly rub some powder over the contact surfaces.

Fully lined, I hate picking leather bits off my $1800 gun

Thank you for this comment. At present I do not have a lined holster for a single reason....my finishing treatment is done to the inside of the holster along with the outside....kind of a "hard-treatment" as one wearer called it. This finishing allows for a faster draw compared to bare leather, and it prevents the leather bits you mentioned. This being said, however, I have thought of a sueded type of liner in the past. I have refrained thus far only because of the fact that the sueded leather can hold particles which will accentuate the wear on your firearm's finish...and in some cases cause something to be retained which will scratch your firearm.

I am open to offering this option if enough requests are made for it, however, I would have to have a disclaimer which might limit the warranty I would offer.....

1911 full sized with a sight track, see above complaint

Already can offer this to you!

I want it to be able to move when I sit down, sorta like the old Ayoob Rear Guard, but a little more stable.

I would like to know more about this...any chance you can PM your phone number so that you can explain further and I can ask a few questions?

I want it to be reinforced on the top so I can reholster it one handed

This is possible at present. I do not use metal reinforcement, however, just reinforce with leather. In actuality, I carry IWB without a reinforced mouth on my own holster and have no problems with reholstering. However, your needs or personal preference on what constitutes an issue in this regard can differ from mine which is why I have started offering this option.

You make it, I'll buy it!

I'm ready to take your order! PM your number and I will get you in the works!

Edited to add: Please make a matching offside mag pouch!

These are coming shortly...still playing with a couple designs which will have extended options....stay tuned.
    thank you again for your time and input. let me know if I can assist you with an order.
    Brock Morgan
    Bluegrass Holsters

Authorized Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Xiphos View Post
    I would love a leather holster that's pancake style and has a snap for retention.

I will have this option very shortly once I finish the new EC versions mentioned in my last post. The option that I have will be a pull-through design similar if not the same as Lou Alessi uses (he has given me his blessing to make the design and will be given the first holster for approval before they are offered for sale). I hope to have these by the end of the summer if not sooner as I know most LEO's have departmental mandates for some type of retention.

Black leather just looks classy and I'd like something on belt loops with a snap for that little bit of retention.

I agree that black is the best for concealment and sell about 10:1 in black over any other shade of brown. At present all holsters have some sort of loop or belt slot. I do not have any paddles, although I do have a couple in mind but that will likely be a winter project.

ETA: I like Maclean's ideas too, a fully lined holster would be a nice touch.

thanks for this comment....for more see the previous post regarding holster linings.
    Thank you for your input....much appreciated.
    Brock Morgan
    Bluegrass Holsters

Authorized Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by jmiahhenry View Post
    I would like to have a tight fitting, paddle that is leather and just looks really sleak. Nothing fancy but I do like black instead of the brown.

In the works mentally....as previously stated, I am planning on a paddle design to occur sometime in the next 6 months.

I also would like to have a holster that you can reholster with just one hand,not having to have to hold the holster with the other hand. I also would like to have a matching mag holder.

Question to you, another others, do you want a holster that you can reholster one handed WITH a reinforced mouth, or do you simply want the mouth of the holster to stay open? Currently my holsters are finished in such a way that they are quite hard and durable and thus far have not needed any reinforcement. I am offering them with that option with a surcharge presently for those who have a specific preference or lack of confidence based on previous holster experiences.
    thank you for your time and input!
    Brock Morgan
    Bluegrass Holsters

Authorized Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by narcodog View Post
    A good holster that won't break the bank.

Not a problem with a holster from me...all are designed with an idea on keeping the cost reasonable for the average user.

Oh features, site rail

depending on which firearm model that should not be an issue. For example, I have 1911 models with and without rails, same with Sigs. Most of the other firearms either have them or they don't.....while thinking about it I have the Glock 30 with and without the rail.

and able to accommodate a light

Now why did you have to spoil my night?? Currently I do not make any holsters which will accommodate a light being mounted on the firearm. My suppliers do not have any molds for the numerous WML's that are on the market, and the working models will not survive the process I use to make the holsters. I doubt that I will offer something like anywhere in the near future....if ever, really. Sorry

paddle type

Stay tuned for paddles
    thank you for your time and input. I do appreciate it.
    Brock Morgan
    Bluegrass Holsters

Authorized Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by conalabu View Post
    Something that I can carry off duty, concealed without the thing printing so bad that I might as well be wearing it open.

Not to make you feel bad or jealous or anything but with all of my holsters, IWB and OWB, I can carry under a wicking loose gear type of t-shirt. In the case of the OWB I typically will wear one size larger, however, with the IWB's I don't change size at all. The combination of a good belt and holster design will be your best friend.

I am looking for both an outside the pants and an inside the pant band. A good ankle holster is always a bonus, too.

I can help you now with OWB or IWB. Ankle holsters are not something I have thought much about making, even though I carry my BUG in an ankle rig from one of those OTHER mass produced makers.
    thank you for your comments!
    Brock Morgan
    Bluegrass Holsters

Authorized Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    How about something that gives the security of the pancake-style belt loops but is easily removed like a paddle holster...

I am working on a model that will be somewhat along those lines....hang in there for developments as they are announced!

Or one that can give several wearing options, like inside-the-waistband or paddle, or small of the back...

I currently offer the Mason-Dixon which allows one to move from OWB to IWB easily (screw driver is all that is necessary to make the change). I currently wear this model up to 18 hours a day without any complaint. My website has photos of this rig....I will say that I changed the adapter slightly and have not updated the photo yet.

As for SOB carry.....as a firearms instructor I highly discourage it for several reasons....first and foremost is the risk of injury that can occur if one were to fall on their back...too many officers have been injured in this manner. Also, from a tactical standpoint, on the ground while fighting with a BG you are hindered accessing from that carry position. It can also be impossible to access while driving, not to mention being uncomfortable sitting on the bulk of your firearm.

As a compromise to this carry position, I am redesigning my two IWB's for carry right behind the hip, but not for SOB carry. this will give the wearer the same level of concealment but minimize injury risks....what it will not do is easily allow off-hand draws if the strong-side arm is injured.

I hope this helps a little....

(Those ideas oughta keep you thinking for a while!)
    Thanks again for great input and your time. Hopefully I have helped a little with my answers.
    Brock Morgan
    Bluegrass Holsters

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Great replies Brock, and thank you.

I will order soon, and will call before I do.

As for the movement while seated a la the old ARG holster, if you look at "ayoob rear guard" on say, Rosen's site, you can see how it has a single loop. This allows the gun to move slightly at that pivot point so when you sit it doesn't bind.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Authorized Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by MonsterMash View Post
    I want a concealable holster that:

A: Has a thumb break for retention.

B: Can accomodate a weaponlight.

As previously stated, there will shortly be a snap retention holster option which will be of the pull-through design once a final version is created and offered to Alessi for his blessing.

Also, weapon lights are an issue that I might be able to find a solution for, but for now my process would harm the light structure....sorry.

C: Has a sturdy, one peice belt loop. (I hate the 3 slot belt loops)

The belt slot version that I make use a single fore and aft slot...no three slot models here and likely will not in the future.

D: Has no canting, either frontwards or backwards. It is made to ride straight up.

This is an option at present, however, it does deviate from current patterns and would take somewhat longer....

E. Is a midride type.

All of my holsters are designed to be a mid-ride height at the moment.
    thank you for the input and hopefully I will be able to assist you in the future.
    Brock Morgan
    Bluegrass Holsters

Authorized Vendor
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut Aficionado View Post
    A mid-ride belt slide style pancake made for the M&P9

Not a problem so far....

with a snap for retention,

there you go...that one will have to wait a while....

lined,

if you really want it line....go to my first response post regarding this topic. The lined holster can, in some cases, facilitate wear. At the moment I do not offer a lined version because of the finishing that I do, however, I will be introducing a lined option in the near future.

open top so I re-holster one handed.

I am assuming you want the mouth to not collapse after the draw, correct, or were you also wanting one without a thumbsnap retention. None of my holsters at the moment have a retention device other than friction and/or a tension screw.

Oh I need it left handed.

No problem making holsters for wrong-handed people! Seriously, left hand holsters add nothing to the construction time. When a company tells you that there is an additional wait for LH holster it is because they usually are mass producing them and you are waiting for them to set up for LH mass production.

And an open top matching extra mag holder.

Stay tuned....mag pouches and combination mag/light and mag/cuff cases coming.

Black in color.

My favorite!

PM me with an estimate.

I really can't give an estimate with a lining and retention since I have not perfected either and placed it into production. I will tell you that my standard OWB without retention currently runs $55.00, which is just about the cheapest, quality custom holster you will find available.

Are you internet only or do you have a store to visit? I make trips to KY and would love to stop in if you have a retail site.

Internet only, but if you are planning to be in the Louisville area I could likely be talked into tasting a donut or two....or just about anything for that matter except alcohol....I am not old enough, yet!
    thank you for your input. I will be happy to assist you if you have any needs.
    Brock Morgan
    Bluegrass Holsters

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information