Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Wolven is offline Major
    Verified LEO

Ok Gadget Guys/Gals

Looks like I may be going to nights..after working days for 5 years. I have a flashlight in my car which I may say is a POS. The battery cell pack seems to last for about 3.5 nano seconds. This is fine if I am using it for a building search that lasts a few minutes but not to work a 12 hours shift with on/off use. I am thinking of getting a flashlight but do not want to spend a ton of money....under $100 (or less). Any ideas? I can search the internet and Baumshoe but figured I would rather ask those that may actually use something they like. Thanks.
    Never be afraid to do what's right, especially if the well-being of a person or animal is at stake. Society's punishments are small compared to the wounds we inflict on our soul when we look the other way" ~Martin Luther King, Jr

Xiphos is offline I Void Warranties
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I am on night shift and have been for several years. I use my flashlight more than any other tool I have. It is a critical piece of equipment for not only doing my job but also keeping me safe. I did not skimp on budget when I purchased it.

I got the Blackhawk Gladius and upgraded it to the 160+ lumens bulb. I spent about $200, total, after the upgrade. It is extraordinarily bright. It also has a strobe feature which I use on building searches to help disorient any possible suspects.

One thing I like about the Gladius is the non-rechargeable batteries. Once a year I spend $45 and buy 24 of the CR123A 3 volt batteries. They will last me a year. I keep an extra set in my pocket. If the light goes out during a building search I can drop the two small batteries into my flashlight and keep going. My friends with the rechargeable Stinger or Streamlights have no warning of impending battery loss. Their lights go out on a building search and they are stuck without a light unless they carry a backup.

You can't go wrong, quality wise, with the Gladius, any Streamlight, or SureFire. There's other good ones out there but I've used all three of these personally and can recommend them.
    Pleasing nobody, one person at a time.

That which does not kill me, better start fucking running.

If I lived every day like it was my last, the body count would be staggering.

I intend to go in harm's way. -John Paul Jones

Hunt the wolf, and bring light to the dark places that others fear to go. LT COL Dave Grossman

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    Strion by Streamlight - I love that light - it's small, powerful, and not LED (meaning cuts through fog, not makes it look like a football stadium)

and best of all - rechargeable

(just don't go thinking that I hate LED's - b/c i don't, I just love my strion)
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

TXPO710 is offline Dumb ole' Cowboy
    Verified LEO
    Don't go cheap!!! I got all mine off ebay but there top brands. I have the Xiphos on my duty weapon, love that strobe effect. I also have have 2 surefires, The G2 (you can get one for between 30 and 50 bucks) rides on my AR and the Z2 that I carry. I also have an LED that clips on with red light and a 3 cell mag light. Plus the stinger in the car. You can never have too many flashlights lol. I carry spare CR123 for the surefires, 6 in my bag and 2 in the pocket.

121Traffic is offline Just Us
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I assume this will be a primary duty light? If so, I would suggest a stream light SL 20X. Get the metal version with the LED option. Its big, bright, easy to hold under the arm while writing, can be used as a last minute impact weapon, and the LED option is nice when you only need a small amount of light.

The other smaller lights are good, but if I could only have one, the big stream light would be it. Also streamlight warranties the switch and bulb for life.

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO
    we gave one of these away on our site once and it got great reviews. Police Equipment :: Public Safety Equipment :: Police Uniforms :: 5.11 Tactical :: Duty Gear :: Baumshoe Law Enforcement Supply ::Results for Flashlights:Pelican and the price is right around $100 with baumshoe.

Cidp24 is offline Tempus Fugit
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Whatever you wind up with, get a small one for your belt too. I have an 0ld Stinger and a Streamlight SL20
    "It wouldn't take much for me to up and run...
    to another life somewhere in the sun."
    "There's something inherently wrong with having to put on a bullet-proof vest and a gun to go to work."-(An old friend)

Any statements or opinions given in my postings or profile do not reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employer or anyone else other than me. They are my personal opinions or statements only, thereby releasing my employer , any other entity, or any other person of any liability or involvement in anything posted under the username "Cidp24" on O/R.

Verified LEO
    I absolutely love my Pelican 7060 LED. I also carry a secondary SureFire 9P with M60 LED drop in making it a whopping 235 Lumen from Malkoff Devices

depusm12 is offline Patrolman
    Verified LEO
    I have a Stinger DS led as my primary and a SF Z2 with a Malkoff Dropin on my belt as a back-up and I also normally carry a either a Strion led or a 2nd Stinger DS led in hand and spare batteries for the SF.
    James
    Dept of the Army Civilian Police
    "Loyalty above all else, except Honor"
    Never forget those who fell on 9/11/01
    S&W beats 4 Aces every time

matt86 is offline Piggy
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by depusm12 View Post
    I have a Stinger DS led as my primary and a SF Z2 with a Malkoff Dropin on my belt as a back-up and I also normally carry a either a Strion led or a 2nd Stinger DS led in hand and spare batteries for the SF.
    I also carry a Stinger DS LED and love it. I'm thinking about picking up a Fenix TK11 with a rechargeable battery for belt carry as I don't have a backup.

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    You should have two.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Twan007 View Post
    Strion by Streamlight - I love that light - it's small, powerful, and not LED (meaning cuts through fog, not makes it look like a football stadium)

and best of all - rechargeable

(just don't go thinking that I hate LED's - b/c i don't, I just love my strion)
    I'm not a fan of the Strion for night work. It's a great light for dayshift, because it's small, but a good light. My experience using it on nights though is that the charge doesn't last unless you recharge it in the car between calls (more on that in a minute) and it's too small to tuck easily in my armpit for searching a person, writing, etc... That last may not be a problem for you... I actually am a fan of the full-size Streamlight XL20, backed up with the Stinger for nights. One LED, one "normal" halogen or whatever the hell they use.

And on that note -- I'd suggest carrying one rechargeable light along with one that takes batteries. Ideally -- batteries you can get at 7-11 or a similar place that's open 24 hours. 'Cause we all know Murphy loves to screw with cops, and given a chance, you can bet that your rechargeable light will take a crap just when you need it on a moonless, overcast night when the power goes out over a 50 mile radius. And your regular lights batteries'll die -- and your spare batteries will be dead, too. Then you just have to convince the idiot clerk to sell 'em to you with the register down...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Jks9199 View Post
    I'm not a fan of the Strion for night work. It's a great light for dayshift, because it's small, but a good light. My experience using it on nights though is that the charge doesn't last unless you recharge it in the car between calls (more on that in a minute) and it's too small to tuck easily in my armpit for searching a person, writing, etc... That last may not be a problem for you... I actually am a fan of the full-size Streamlight XL20, backed up with the Stinger for nights. One LED, one "normal" halogen or whatever the hell they use.

And on that note -- I'd suggest carrying one rechargeable light along with one that takes batteries. Ideally -- batteries you can get at 7-11 or a similar place that's open 24 hours. 'Cause we all know Murphy loves to screw with cops, and given a chance, you can bet that your rechargeable light will take a crap just when you need it on a moonless, overcast night when the power goes out over a 50 mile radius. And your regular lights batteries'll die -- and your spare batteries will be dead, too. Then you just have to convince the idiot clerk to sell 'em to you with the register down...
    One other thing I'd suggest... Try to get one of those cheap little give-away LED keychain flashlights. They're great for stupid things like looking for something you dropped or a quick look at a mapbook or codebook without lighting up the whole damn car...
    Voting against incumbents until we get a Congress that does its job.

TASER: almost as good as alcohol for teaching white boys to dance

"Don't suffer from PTSD -- Go out and cause it!"
    -- Col. David Grossman, US Army, ret.

All opinions expressed are my own and are not official statements of my employer.

Notorious is offline Covering your 6 since 1994
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I never thought much of it and had my 2nd gen Stinger XT forever and then my partner hooked me up with a Pelican M7060 LED. I was blown away as soon as the first time I tried it. The LED light with the throw really lit up the night and I can see things on buildings far away which I couldn't do with the halogen XT.

Don't go cheap and stick with a good LED light like the Stinger LED or Pelican with the lifetime warranty.
    Nothing clever here except my zombie defense gun... now where is that darn flashlight...

Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Oh... definitely get yourself a quiklite or Pelican VB2220 clip on LED light. Those things are invaluable for writing citations in the dark and keeping your hands free from having to tuck a big light under your armpit. I clip mine on the shirt where it opens up to the collar. Also serves as a nice hands-free flashlight. The Pelican is pretty dang bright!
    Nothing clever here except my zombie defense gun... now where is that darn flashlight...

doubs is offline Dirt Road Deputy
    Verified LEO
    I really like the stinger LED, its bright, holds a charge for along time and recharges quickly if you need it. Thats for my belt, I do still use a full size streamlight

Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    The Stinger LED also has a strobe feature, no?

Second Chance is offline Be the last one standing
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Wolven I have the Pelican 7060 LED, it's fairly small, about eight inches or so, easy to carry on ur duty rig. It's a rechargable and I must say when it goes out it is out....................
    Swamp Mafia

The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.
    ~Edmond Burke

Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and like it, never really care for anything else.
    ~Ernest Hemingway

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Follow me on twitter.........http://twitter.com/SecondChance122

Disclaimer: The opinions given in my signatures DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS and I accept sole responsibility as such.

Twan007 is offline The People
    Verified LEO
    wow, talk about bringing back that old school -

I still use my Strion - still love it

Dept issues Stingers, it's a good light too - although it stays in my car until my strion goes dead -

My weapon has a blackhawk Xiphos NT (came with the blackhawk holster - that is carried by Baumshoe btw) and the two of them are a great combination - LED and halogen (or whatever that Strion is)
    -=Twan007

Lack of planning on your part does not constitute an emergency on mine.

Not one shred of evidence supports the notion that life is serious.

The opinions expressed by this poster are wholly his own, and should never be construed to even remotely be in alignment with his employer. Matter of fact, the poster will deny any knowledge of any post... this message will self-destruct in 5 seconds...

Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    I love my Pelican and I found out how durable it is. I happened to drop it on hard asphalt and it rolled around and it suffered a dent but as for scratches and paint chips? None. That thing is made to last!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

LinkBacks (?)

1. 02-21-09, 09:54 PM

Thread Information