Welcome to the APBWeb.
    DIESEL326 is offline Master Officer
    Verified LEO

Muzzle Brakes or Flash Hiders anyone?

I have had the opportunity to make aquaintance with a long time benchrest shooter whose career took a southward spiral, and he has now started his life over. He has befun an apprenticeship with a precision machine shop, and his first project has been a few different muzzle brakes and flash hiders. I've ordered a T&E model that I'll report back on once it is received.

In the meantime, in an effort to help the guy out (I believe he is actually living in the shop where he works) I offered to try and help him out through Trotac if I could, and now I'm testing the waters to see if I can sell some muzzle attachments.

Here are the pics of what he's done so far...

This is the "pointy things" flash hider. It looks like pretty brutal, and should also do a good job of flash suppression I would think. Obviously it is intended for AR's and the like.

These are three of his brake designs. I ordered the one in the middle which has the large expansion chamber as well as the top ports which are designed to minimize or even eliminate muzzle rise. Mine will be going onto my 3 gun AR.

Now for the good part! If there is interest, I can get these for $45 FOR A LIMITED TIME. The last real brake I bought cost me over $100, and was identical to the one on the left in that picture of the brakes.

If you're interested, I need to know ASAP. He is really just getting into production mode with these, and if demand spikes, that will not be the price for long. It looks like a great product, I'm anxious to get mine in. Report to follow...
    "Aim small, miss small."

Five-0 is offline Super Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I've seen similar brakes to the top pic on shotguns. As if shooting you in the face wasn't enough, I'll just cave the rest of your skull in for good measure. Question, could my .308 benefit from one of these?

Meanwhile, fishing in Russia:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SkzV5AIK8iM
    "When plunder becomes a way of life for a group of men living together in society, they create for themselves in the course of time a legal system that authorizes it and a moral code that justifies it." -- Frederic Bastiat

"Certainly there is no hunting like the hunting of man and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never really care for anything else thereafter." Ernest Hemingway

The opinions given in my signatures & threads DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are my personal opinions only, thereby releasing my agency of any liability, or involvement in anything posted under the username "Five-0" on Officerresource.com

Verified LEO
    The basis for that on shotguns is to make a stand-off/ breach brake. It gives all of the breaching dust, door, and 'used to be lock' pieces somewhere to go when you blast a door. On a rifle, that would be one hell of a barrel thump/punch.

As to your .308, I would imagine it could be done, pretty easily. That would just be a matter of machining a bigger hole and different threads. I'll ask him about 308 stuff the next time I talk to him.

As to benifits... No doubt. I had one on one of my boltguns (before I got my suppressor) and it did make a difference in felt recoil. Brakes don't do anything for the ears, but ear pro is a must anyway, so it doesn't matter a whole lot anyway. It's been fun talking to this guy. Though it seems he's had a bad run of luck, he's still got a lot pride and thought going into his work. Since he comes from a high precision shooting background, he already has a good idea as to what works and what doesn't.
    "Aim small, miss small."

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    Man, I have to be honest.

I have never felt the difference between one muzzle device to the next.

Recoil wise.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    The pointy thing looks like fun for an entry gun
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

MacLean is offline O/R Gun mod
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    I wish I could get one like the Smith Vortex but with points on the end flats - like glass breakers.
    I'm your huckleberry...

Quemadmoeum gladis nemeinum occidit, occidentus telum est!

You can be the weapon, and the gun in your hand is a tool - or the gun is a weapon and you are the tool.

I was looking for a saint who was a devil of a lover,
    but every girl I found was either one way or the other...

pgg
    pgg is online now Damnit, I'm hungry again.
    Verified LEO
    Super Moderator
    It looks like the holes go all the way around on the pointy thing. How will this effect dust and and muzzle rise? Especially when shooting prone? I'd imagine there would only be holes on the top and sides.
    'Political Correctness is a doctrine fostered by a
    delusional, illogical liberal minority, and rabidly
    promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which
    holds forth the proposition that it is entirely
    possible to pick up a turd by the clean end!'

A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity. Sigmund Freud

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by pgg View Post
    It looks like the holes go all the way around on the pointy thing. How will this effect dust and and muzzle rise? Especially when shooting prone? I'd imagine there would only be holes on the top and sides.
    I've seen flash hiders both ways. Some with cuts all the way around, some not on the bottom. In the manufacturer's own words, the job of a flash hider is only to hide flash really. I could defintely see an issue with dust if you were shooting in the prone, but any muzzle rise issues should not really be affected.

Man, I have to be honest.

I have never felt the difference between one muzzle device to the next.

Recoil wise.
    I've had mixed results. I had a local smith twist my arm into trying a prototype brake he started making. I put it on one of my 308's and the recoil impulse seemed "shorter" though not necessarily softer. I don't really notice any significant change between any run of the mill flash hider and my Miculek Compensator as far as AR's go though. My new one is going on the AR that the Miculek is currently on, so we'll see how that goes.
    "Aim small, miss small."

Thread Information