Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO

A ? for the fitness gurus

I am thinking about buying a Bowflex Ultimate 2 for the house. Does anyone have any thing to say, good or bad on these machines? If you have any general advice as to workout equipment for the house I'd like to hear it before I drop a good amount of cash on one of these.

I quit going to the gym (and it shows) and I'd like to get started back up, especially doing some circuit training, it seems that this machine offers a full circuit with minimal downtime (changing equipment, etc.).

"Stupid should hurt."

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Just make sure you set it up in front of a tv.

I was good today - I went to the gym!
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I was always been interested in getting a Boflex but realized that a gym membership is probably more worth it. In a gym you have a variety of exercises for each muscle, but a Boflex is obviously limited.

Go for it if you really want it because you said yourself that you stopped going to the gym. So obviously this Boflex would be better than nothing. I guess I just prefer the gym over a home exercise machine because there are so many distractions at home. I'm in the gym 5 days a week and love it!
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    I go to the gym all the time. My husband went to school for a degree in physical fitness and strongly suggests not getting those. He says the tension on the bands are not good and don't give you as good as workout as doing free weights at the gym. He isn't here right now, or I would ask him specifically what it was that made him against them. But I do know that you are limited on it and you aren't able to work all the different muscles in your body. I spose it depends on what you are trying to do also. For me I am strength training and toning up, so I need the gym for that.

But, it is better than nothing! =)
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Welpe is offline Wannabe NFL Ref
    One thing about machines in general is that they isolate which muscles are receiving the workout. The machines help stabilize the weight you are lifting. This can be good when you want to develop your main muscles, are just starting out in weight training or are recovering on physical therapy.

The bad part about this is that the smaller muscles which aren't targeted by the exercise don't get much of a work out. Free weights work all of your muscles because you have to stabilize the weight while you lift, resulting in a more complete work out.

An example would be doing parallel squats using a machine versus a free bar with weights. The machine keeps the weights level to the ground and prevents lateral movement. As I said this can be good for beginners. With a free bar, the lifter has to keep the weights level and square with the body. This method works more muscles because these muscles are keeping everything in order while the primary muscles are doing the lifting up and down.

This is my understanding of free weights vs. machines, somebody please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong.
    Last edited by Welpe; 11-20-06 at 11:26 PM.
    "To the German commander: 'Nuts!' The American Commander" - General Tony McAuliffe, 101st Airborne Division

Michelle is offline Civilian
    That's the same machine I've been looking at buying. I'm going to wait till we move get it though.
    I did a lot of research on line about others who bought it and their opinion's, and it was given enough good ratings that it had me sold.

I'm also thinking about getting the Bowflex free weights.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    I want a Nautilus NS 700 but at $3,700 it's a bit rich for me. Plus it'd have to live in the shed because the house isn't big enough.
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    Welpe is right. Never underestimate the power and results of the free weight.

Also, don't forget about two of the greatest exercises on Earth that are both free: Push-ups and sit-ups!
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

OffDuty is offline The Shotgun is Family.
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    I pitch in with the gym being best, but if you want to have something for the home, a better way to go is some free weights, some of those dumbbells that are all in one (bowflex selecttech), an incline bench, and maybe a smith rack. All you need there, with some sets of crunches, dips, pullups and pushups. all you need, half the price.
    There are only two kinds of real justice left: street and poetic...

Canada, huh? Almost made it...

*DISCLAIMER*The opinions expressed here are my own delusions. My employer administraton would at best shake their heads and sigh; or at worst severely repudiate the content of these posts, should it ever manage to appear on their radar.

Welpe is offline Wannabe NFL Ref
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewell View Post
    Also, don't forget about two of the greatest exercises on Earth that are both free: Push-ups and sit-ups!
    I think many people greatly underestimate calisthenics! Mix in various forms of push ups, situps, crunches, squat thrusts, mountain climbers, etc. and you can give yourself a great workout.

Now only if I would take my own advice more frequently.
    Last edited by Welpe; 11-21-06 at 03:41 AM.
    "To the German commander: 'Nuts!' The American Commander" - General Tony McAuliffe, 101st Airborne Division

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    The only piece of equipment you need for a full body workout, is a Medicine Ball (around 15lbs). You can even susbstitute the medicine ball for a rock or a water barrel.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Lazy Fed is offline Curmudgeon
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Warrior View Post
    I quit going to the gym (and it shows as my gunt is hanging over my duty belt) and I'd like to get started back up, especially doing some circuit training, it seems that this machine offers a full circuit with minimal downtime (changing equipment, etc.).
    Whiskey

Tango

Foxtrot

dulce et decorum est pro patria mori

Quote Originally Posted by Resident Smart Ass
    Life is to short not to experience Lazy Fed
    ___ ___ ___
    {o,o} {-.-} {0,0}
    |)__) |)_(| (__(|
    -"-"- -"-"- -"-"-
    O RLY?? YA RLY NO WAI!!!!

The incoherent statements given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency or any other person for that matter. They are MY PERSONAL DELUSIONAL FANTASIES and I accept sole responsibility as such as I am either drunk or stressed out of my mind.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by OffDuty View Post
    I pitch in with the gym being best, but if you want to have something for the home, a better way to go is some free weights, some of those dumbbells that are all in one (bowflex selecttech), an incline bench, and maybe a smith rack. All you need there, with some sets of crunches, dips, pullups and pushups. all you need, half the price.
    I have a gym membership and just went today for the first time in 3 months. It's great, but I prefer not to work out in the middle of a crowd, I guess partly because I'm self conscious and partly because I hate waiting on machines. Also it's a pain in the ass to drive 10 minutes to make myself miserable Almost everything I do at the gym can be done with free weights, dumbbells, a select incline bench, pushups, situps and a chinup bar.

Verified LEO

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by fscf3801 View Post
    Whiskey

Tango

Foxtrot

What are you doing responding to this post? It says "A qusetion for fitness gurus" which, I know you are not qualified to speak on the matter.

Now, had I wanted to ask about burritos, or being a lazy Fed, then I would have just PM'ed my question directly to you.

"Stupid should hurt."

Verified LEO
    Thanks for the info everyone.

"Stupid should hurt."

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    I've posted this before, but it is worth repeating, I think. It is guaranteed to work .

Total Body Workout

Each of the following exercises should be preceded by a run of 20 metres or more taking the weight with you. (Medicine Ball best, but free weight in a bag of some sort will suffice). Number of reps can be anything above 10.

1. Push Pulls. Stand with feet shoulder width apart and knees flexed slightly. Hold the weight at chest height, extend the arms straight out in front and return to start position.

2. Throw Ins. Same stance as above. Hold weight behind head straighten arms over head, going forward in front of head by about 1foot, return to start position.

3. Side Turns. Same stance. Hold weight in both hands, at waist height. Elbows locked into, and slightly in front, of hips. Forearms parallel to the ground. Keeping hips square to front, twist upper body and arms to left, stop. Return to centre, stop. Twist to right, stop.

4. Side Leans. Same stance. Hold weight in both hands against forehead. Keeping back straight, lean to left, from waist, stop. Return to centre, stop. Lean to right, from waist, stop. And return to centre.

5. Hip Circles. Same stance. Circle the body transferring the weight from hand to hand, in front of body and behind body. Change direction half way through reps.

6. Figure of Eights. Feet wider apart than shoulders, bend from waist. Take weight round outside of left leg, then through legs, take weight in right hand, take round right leg, back between legs transfer the weight back to left hand and complete the figure of eight.

7. Diagonal Lifts. Feet shoulder width apart. Weight held in both hands, bend and touch floor with weight in front of left foot, lift weight above head over right foot and straighten back and arms. Touch weight to floor in front of right foot, then lift above head over left foot, straightening arms and back..

8. Sit Ups. Lay on floor, legs bent feet flat on floor. Hold weight with both hands against forehead and raise upper body off floor, return to start position. Exercise slowly

9. Leg Crunches. Support back with elbows whilst laying on floor. Hold weight between feet. Feet held off floor, legs straight , bend legs to bring weight to groin, then extend legs straight again.

10. Dorsal Raises. Lie face down, legs apart, toes on floor. Hold weight against forehead, then, raise upper body 6 inches. Lower slowly then repeat.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    Trojan, do those exercises tone and keep off fat, or do they build mass??
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

Emily is offline Corporal
    A friend of mine's husband had a Bowflex that sat in their basement collecting dust for a couple years.

My elliptical treats me well. And push-ups are free.

E-man is offline No bird but dog and 3 cats
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Welpe View Post

Now only if I would take my own advice more frequently.
    Me too, I mean I was an ASSistant manager at Bally's for 6 years and NOW look at me....Radio car spread set in....
    A monday morning lunatic, disturbed from time to time. Temporary catatonic madman on occasion..

Lightning crashes a new mother cries, her placenta falls to the floor. The angel opens her eyes,the confusion sets in before the doctor can even close the door..
    The views and comments of E-man are mine and mine alone and therefore might not reflect the views of others or people in my current department. As such since this is still America I can post what I want without fear of retribution. I think.

RIP Eric

Jks9199 is offline The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    My 2 cents... and maybe not worth that much!

Decide if you're going to use it before you invest in any expensive exercise machine. Unless, of course, you have room to spare and need an overbuilt gadget to hang your clothes on!

Some people will use an exercise machine in their house regularly. Some won't. I happen to be in the won't category... so I belong to a gym (but have been making excuses to damn often of late) and use the facilities available at work (been doing better lately... especially if someone else is going!) And some people won't go to a gym, either...

There's no point in spending several hundred dollars or more on a gadget or membership you won't use.

Thread Information