Welcome to the APBWeb.

Thread: Extreme Weather

HardNoseBull is offline HardNoseBull

Extreme Weather

Hey here is a question for everyone, what kind of extreme weather do you get stuck working in. Right now where I am it's winter and that means extreme cold, it's -30c here right now, which I think is roughly -16F. Your skin will freeze and get frostbite within 30 seconds if not covered up. We have to plug our vehicles in so the block heaters will keep the enigine warm enough to start. We also get extreme windchill, so it may only be -10 but when the wind hits that changes to say -40. We stand outside in this for up 1 1/2 hrs at a time doing mealsupervison or yard patrol, usually you can run in and warm up quickly. I usually wear 3 layers of clothing when it's this cold, under armour to wick sweat away, long underwear and sweat pants, then uniform pants, underarmor top, t-shirt and dickie and uniform shirt, good wool socks in boots, large leather mitts, with wool inserts, black balaclava and a large storm coat thats issue. with all that and your duty belt I think your like 40lbs heavier,lololo, makes going to the washroom a chore!
    Giggity giggity Goo!

Glen Quagmire,Family Guy, Pick any Episode

Retmilleo909 is offline Banned
    >>for everyone, what kind of extreme weather do you get stuck working in<<

100 plus degree, in the shade, Temp, dressed in a wool uniform with no AC.

adroitcuffs is offline Visualize whirled peas!!
    Verified LEO
    I used to work in the Palm Springs, California, area... 120 degrees Farenheit in the summer a common occurrence. Used to wear the issued polyester trousers... trust me, at least the wool breathes! When it gets over 100, a/c becomes ineffective and/or inoperative. Even working nights, sometimes the low would be 100 degrees!! We'd carry a small square sheet of plywood in the trunk to stand on if it was necessary to direct traffic for any period of time. Otherwise, your boots would sink into the asphalt!!!
    The true measure of your character is what you choose to do when you think no one is looking.

http://officerbob.memory-of.com/

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I'm rarely happy with the weather. It's either too hot, or too damn cold! Show me a place where it's 75 degrees everyday and all year long and I'll move there tomorrow, with the rest of the country! lol
    Calm Like A Bomb...

ďA pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.Ē
    -Winston Churchill

I don't have to work in extreme winter as much as you, but I work foot patrol which means walking around for 6 hours. So that means blizzards, freezing rain, you got out we're outside. Normally I have on at least three layers and look a lot like a a giant marshmellow!
    Thereís a promise I need you to make
    While Iím gone you take care of the love
    And Iíll deal with the hate.

Donít worry about me; Iíll be all right
    Just care for your children and sleep tight
    Iíll keep you safe on my watch tonight
    ~
    On My Watch Tonight - Mike Corrado

Norm357 is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by HardNoseBull View Post
    Hey here is a question for everyone, what kind of extreme weather do you get stuck working in. Right now where I am it's winter and that means extreme cold, it's -30c here right now, which I think is roughly -16F. Your skin will freeze and get frostbite within 30 seconds if not covered up. We have to plug our vehicles in so the block heaters will keep the enigine warm enough to start. We also get extreme windchill, so it may only be -10 but when the wind hits that changes to say -40. We stand outside in this for up 1 1/2 hrs at a time doing mealsupervison or yard patrol, usually you can run in and warm up quickly. I usually wear 3 layers of clothing when it's this cold, under armour to wick sweat away, long underwear and sweat pants, then uniform pants, underarmor top, t-shirt and dickie and uniform shirt, good wool socks in boots, large leather mitts, with wool inserts, black balaclava and a large storm coat thats issue. with all that and your duty belt I think your like 40lbs heavier,lololo, makes going to the washroom a chore!
    That sounds like hell to me.
    dlefdal said:
    Ummmm, what if I don't like thumbs in my butt?

chris2001 is offline Captain
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm357 View Post
    I second that motion.
    Being the best is not what always counts. What counts is always trying your best.

Remember who you are, and where you came from. That way you never get a big head.

May those that lost their lives in 9-11 RIP, for the things you did not many could do. You left so many behind so that you could save so few. For now we stand strong as one, and will not look back till the fight is done. (me)

http://www.danasoft.com/sig/Nowwhat%...5Csuphomey.jpg

The opinions given in my posts DO NOT reflect the opinions, views, policies, and/or procedures of my employing agency. They are MY PERSONAL OPINIONS only.

Bosco3379 is offline I'm the one in the middle
    Quote Originally Posted by Norm357
    That's Canadian winter for ya
    Former member of the LNC

Will take verbal abuse for spare change

Some Of My Wicked Awesome Signature Banners

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    Quote Originally Posted by Jewell View Post
    I'm rarely happy with the weather. It's either too hot, or too damn cold! Show me a place where it's 75 degrees everyday and all year long and I'll move there tomorrow, with the rest of the country! lol

Southern California
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

StanSwitek is offline Corporal
    I did 95% of my policing in my departments costal divisions. Even then summer was pretty warm. A few times I had to work in some inland divisions & it was miserable hot in the 100 degree range. When I was in air support you could feel the large temp difference as we flew inland without even looking at the thremometer.

I often wondered how officers in places like Palm Springs, the mid west & south Florida survived policing in the summer.

HardNoseBull is offline HardNoseBull
    If I had to choose one extreme from the other I would go with cold. When it's +100 degrees and humid, your screwed you really cannot do anyting about it, at least when it's like -30 you can dress for it, you can make yourself warm, it's just cumbersome, you have to put your cuffs in your pocket or your pistol, as it's hard to draw it from under a huge coat! It's always nice when your cuffs freeze to pers wrist as well,lolol.
    Giggity giggity Goo!

Glen Quagmire,Family Guy, Pick any Episode

jmur5074 is offline Moderator
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    There's been times when I have my block heater plugged in and my car still won't start.

(My POV, not my squad. that hasn't happened, yet)
    No one has greater love than this, to lay down ones life for ones friends - John 15:13

"The Wicked Flee When No Man Pursueth: But The Righteous Are Bold As A Lion".

We lucky few, we band of brothers. For he who today sheds his blood with me shall be my brother.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~
    The opinions, beliefs, and ideas expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions, beliefs, ideas, or policies of my Agency, Police Chief, City Council, or any member of my department.

mavriktu is offline Patrol Sgt.
    Verified LEO
    100+ in the shade with 100% humidity thrown in just for shits and giggles,oh and the occasional cat 5 hurricane just for good measure.

nitestokker is offline Banned

No in between.

Nebraska is either too hot or too cold. There is no in between. It is either 105 degrees with 90 percent humidity, or else it's -20 with ten inches of snow and fifty mile per hour winds. In between (Spring and Fall) we have a wonderful little pain in the ass called Tornadoes. I grew up in Wyoming where we had two sayings. #1) "If you don't like the weather, just wait an hour." #2) "We have two seasons in Wyoming: Winter and JULY!" I actually remember watching the fireworks one time on the Fourth of July with snowflakes falling! No kidding!

jcsdscott is offline The short minister
    Verified LEO

In between and all over

Here it's a little bit of everything. From 105 in the summer to 0 with a -10 wind chill in the winter. Spring and fall can never make up their minds. Just today it was 70 degrees! I still have coworkers running around in short sleeves, of course they would do it year round if the brass would let them. In the heat I wear just what is required including my vest (I'm not crazy or bold enough for that) and in the winter I layer on the thermals. I'll admit I'm not crazy about wearing a coat when I go to calls, just too much bulk.

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Here it's about 67F, but can reach 76F in the summer. Then I have to leave my desk and go outside for the horribly cold/hot walk to my car 30 yards away

Thread Information