Welcome to the APBWeb.
    radloser is offline road dirt

police union needs help

I work for a city in NE Ohio who is represented by the FOP OLC. In our contract it states that scheduling is management's right. however, policy for scheduling states that promoted personnel making schedules will "balance the schedule". "Balancing the schedule" means that they will try to spread additional manpower over the month instead of going to minimums on the weekends and have several men over minimum all week.

To save overtime, the city has ordered the PD to take all holiday shifts to minimum (violates the "balancing the schedule" policy). This causes a problem for junior and mid-seniority guys, causing them to work all holidays because the holidays will be forced upon seniority (which senior guys don't care for).

This problem is not a contract issue obviously. But the issue lies with the city violating it's own scheduling policy and leaving our reps scratching their heads on how to combat it. How do we (the union) force the city to abide by their own policy? Can they just violate it when and how they want?

Thanks

spcwes is offline Wookie!!!!
    Verified LEO
    Wow, what a first post by the way!!! Ok, since I do not know you nor much more than your situation.

He who writes the policy can also change it. Are you sure you have the exact meanings of the policy and is there any clauses that will prevent the City from violating the policy?

In the future, I know this may be pressing and important to you, but it would be better to post a bit and get to know everyone. It helps us to address problems such as this better.
    STOP RESISTING!!!!

For he is God's servant to do you good, but if you do wrong, be afraid, for he does not bear the sword for nothing. He is God's servant, an agent of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer.

The opinions expressed in this post are mine, and mine alone. They are NOT the opinions of my Agency or my Agency Heads.

radloser is offline road dirt
    sorry to make it my first post, but while i was doing research on the subject i ran into this forum. however i did sign up and i'm sure you'll see me around. for what it's worth....nice to meet you all, my buddy's call me Smitty and it will be a pleasure to get to know you all.

but back to the subject, the definitions are correct, and the only thing in policy and contract allowing them to be violated would be severe emergency situations. in those cases most of our guys bend over backwards to chip in anyways

OfficerResource.com is offline Site Administrator
    Verified LEO
    Rad Im also in Ohio. Pm me let me know where you work. We are also in the OLC. Hope I can help

Thread Information