Welcome to the APBWeb.

View Poll Results: Have you everb been a volunteer?

Voters
35. You may not vote on this poll
  • Never volunteered

6 17.14%
  • Volunteered in the past

19 54.29%
  • Still currently volunteering

10 28.57%
    Cst.SB is offline Officer First Class

Question for LEOs and LEO applicants only

Ok, this is an unscientific poll here, but how many of you (us) have been involved in volunteerism, and/or still volunteering.

And if it's not to much trouble list the the types/organizations, etc

If you are not an LEO or Applicant you are more than welcome to comment, but please don't vote.

Thx

Growler is offline I is not happy
    Verified LEO
    Volunteered in the dental clinc making dentures for the elderly. I only stopped because I don't have the hours to put into it. It was at a hospital. Making dentures is hard work..

Abby is offline My mommy says I'm special.

LEO applicant/recruit

I volunteered as Victim Service Counselor with APD, worked a summer in a nursing home, and worked with 4-H.
    Some people dream of success, while other people live to crush those dreams.

As for me, I've volunteered off and on for a couple of decades now. I've done door to door canvassing for cancer research, make-a-wish, sunshine dreams for kids, in a community centre as a youth worker.

Currently I volunteer on the ceremonial troop. So, if an organization is hosting an event like the Weekend To End Breast Cancer, I'll volunteer to be the Mountie that stands with the flag. It's a small way to contribute. I also will be planning a couple sunshine/children's hospital fund raisers after Christmas.

The reason why I am asking is that I recently spoke with the Activism club at the school I'm currently posted at, and the underlying theme of the club was to bitch about the police.

I thought it ironic that the people, and this case they get a bit of a break because they are kids, are probably doing the least to better the world.

It's hell of a lot easier to sit around and complain, than it is to get out your mom's basement and hand out socks to the homeless, or to plan a fundraiser to help some sick kids.

That's the reason for this poll. I'd like to go back with some numbers and some of different things we've done on our own time.

I don't care if they question us, I think it's healthy if it's done respectfully, I just want to motivate them to do more with their lives.

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal

We must organize all labor, no matter how dirty and arduous it may be, so that every (citizen) may regard himself as part of that great army of free labor.... The generation that is now fifteen years old .. must arrange all their tasks of education in such a way that every day, and in every city, the young people shall engage in the practical solution of the problems of common labor, even the smallest, most simple kind.
    -Vladimir Lenin

"I am here because I want to redefine the meaning of citizenship in America... If you're asked in school 'What does it mean to be a good citizen?' I want the answer to be, 'Well, to be a good citizen, you have to obey the law, you've got to go to work or be in school, you've got to pay your taxes and --- oh, yes, you have to serve..." -Bill Clinton

Sorry- I couldn't resist.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post

We must organize all labor, no matter how dirty and arduous it may be, so that every (citizen) may regard himself as part of that great army of free labor.... The generation that is now fifteen years old .. must arrange all their tasks of education in such a way that every day, and in every city, the young people shall engage in the practical solution of the problems of common labor, even the smallest, most simple kind.
    -Vladimir Lenin

"I am here because I want to redefine the meaning of citizenship in America... If you're asked in school 'What does it mean to be a good citizen?' I want the answer to be, 'Well, to be a good citizen, you have to obey the law, you've got to go to work or be in school, you've got to pay your taxes and --- oh, yes, you have to serve..." -Bill Clinton

Sorry- I couldn't resist.
    You beat me to freetalk!

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Volunteered in 1965 retired in 1988; does that count?

Damn well better.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    ""I am here because I want to redefine the meaning of citizenship in America... If you're asked in school 'What does it mean to be a good citizen?' I want the answer to be, 'Well, to be a good citizen, you have to obey the law, you've got to go to work or be in school, you've got to pay your taxes and --- oh, yes, you have to serve..." -Bill Clinton"

What Bimbo on a platter?
    We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I've volunteered at various community activities such as carnivals and parades in the past. I also do still volunteer when the opportunity arises.
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    I am an LEO applicant and have done volunteer work for years.
    I have been a volunteer for American Red Cross, American Cancer Society (Relay For Life), Sheriff's dept, and a few other things. I just stopped my volunteer duties this past month to concentrate on academy for next 6 months.
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    I was an Explorer, and I'm working on becoming a Reserve Officer.

I also give blood.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    I'm an applicant, and I'm about to start volunteering here -

http://www.virginiadefenseforce.org/

CopsRCool302 Guest
    Quote Originally Posted by Growler View Post
    Volunteered in the dental clinc making dentures for the elderly. I only stopped because I don't have the hours to put into it. It was at a hospital. Making dentures is hard work..
    hmmmmmm, can you help me with My overbite?

OffDuty is offline The Shotgun is Family.
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    In a prior life before being an LEO, I was an Explorer for a couple of years. That was about it.

As a FTO and an applicant investigator I can tell you that one of the things in the hiring process CLOSELY looked at to bump your number up in the pool, IS volunteer work. It shows some civic duty and responsibility and is something that a lot of people dont do. It may not be a huge advantage, but if you have 50 people you narrow down to to work on a test pool, and all have college, what else can you start looking at to funnel those down? There you go.
    There are only two kinds of real justice left: street and poetic...

Canada, huh? Almost made it...

*DISCLAIMER*The opinions expressed here are my own delusions. My employer administraton would at best shake their heads and sigh; or at worst severely repudiate the content of these posts, should it ever manage to appear on their radar.

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    I led our 4H horse group for 10 years while I was in NC along with the rescue horse programs there
    I work with rape crisis down here and am a big sister.
    When I lived in NH I was involved in the rescue program for horses.
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Copper51 is offline Up all night
    I volunteered 3 years at a local PD as a police reserve. It is what got me interested in becoming an officer.

Just KC is offline Who?......Me?
    Quote Originally Posted by bull3032 View Post
    Out of curiosity, what is the time comittment on that? I always thought of getting into BB-BS, but (since I am a cop) my hours are quite wacky and I'm not sure I'd have anything to offer a "little brother," other than tips for playing SOCOM and cleaning guns. Do you take them to the movies or something?

Your post made me chuckle!!
    ~Karie

"I used to care
    but now I take a pill for that"

Thread Information