Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Chadwick is offline Rookie

Okinawan Karate-do

Hello all, just wondering if anyone thought this would be a good martial arts to take or anyone that has experience with it? I plan on taking some sort of martial arts and my college does Okinawan Karate-do so I figure it would be a good way to get some college credit also. I really do not know much about martial arts so any suggestions on what to take or if this would be ok would be greaty appreciated.

Thanks

CopsRCool302 Guest
    I Done Jeet Kune Do for 23 years.. I would go with that instead.. but whatever works.. GungFu is another one...

BigRich is offline Big Irish Sausage
    If you're going to take a martial art, study Brazilian Jiu Jitsu or Krav Maga (yeah, even the civilian version is still pretty good). Those two will teach you how to take care of yourself in a hands-on situation. I'm assuming you want something that will help should you choose to enter law enforcement.
    BR

BigRich@LawEnforcementForums.c om

Fresh Cope, It Satisfies, Since 1822

Freedom is not free, it requires great sacrifice. The price is paid in blood.

TheOldRhino is offline Corporal
    It doesn't matter what type of M/A you take- just make sure it's one you enjoy so you stick with it. Every martial art is the same in that you will get out of it only what you are willing to put in.
    The virtue of spirit has no need for thanks or approval. Only the certain conviction that what has been done is right. -Jor El, as played by Marlon Brando

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Rhino View Post
    It doesn't matter what type of M/A you take- just make sure it's one you enjoy so you stick with it. Every martial art is the same in that you will get out of it only what you are willing to put in.
    +1

Lucky Seven is offline Realllly?!
    Verified LEO
    +2
    Job description as told by an Old Timer: "...drive fast cars, look at pretty women, and drink coffee".

gozling is offline the gene pool could use a little chlorine
    what do you want to get out of it?
    fitness? recreation? as an actual combative fighting style?
    if you find the right teacher it is based around your body style...
    interesting really... its traditional so it doesnt have alot of combat stuff to it but its a good base to start at.
    example... if your a big guy they have a bear style... snake style.. bat style for blind people.. ect...
    most of the time its tought like taekwondo and its a shame.. but if you find a traditional teacher its pretty cool
    http://www.allpoetry.com/Grunts%20Girl

We dallied under
    Vine maples and sapling alders
    Searched for lady slippers
    But instead
    Found blackberry riots and
    Desiccated branches

An old skid road
    Brought ghost ferns and
    Hollows filled with
    Skunk cabbage
    While waves wrapped
    Intricate lacings of weeds
    'Round mule spinners

His cyanotic eyes
    Were hard enough to make
    The sun turn tail and
    Tender enough to attract me
    To his world of illusion

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    + 1,090,235,186.5

Rhino is correct in his statement.

I have some experience in MA and I think that Okinawan Karate-do is a good basis for begining. You may find that you like it and may want to continue. If you get credit for taking it that is great, as long as you need that credit. Otherwise, you can surely find less expensive classes than college classes.

The Krav or Ju Jitsu suggestion is valid, but taking this class first will (should) be a good way to bulid flexabilty and balance, which would help you later on with the other styles should you wish to continue.

"Stupid should hurt."

CountyFourteen is offline Sergeant
    Verified LEO
    I guess it depends on who the instructors are, not all teach ground fighting, weapons, etc...(yes the question is what do you want out of it)...I chose to study 3 different styles....and yes I have over 30 years in those arts....so I'm not just a newbie to that area.
    Any Post I make is my opinion only!
    I do not have the authority or the permission to post for my Sheriff's Office.

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by CountyFourteen View Post
    I guess it depends on who the instructors are, not all teach ground fighting, weapons, etc...(yes the question is what do you want out of it)...I chose to study 3 different styles....and yes I have over 30 years in those arts....so I'm not just a newbie to that area.
    *cough* train me *cough*
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Darkness is offline Memphis Police
    I'd vote for Jiu Jitsu myself.. Just watch a couple UFC fights and you'll understand.

NinjaNick is offline Rookie
    Chadwick - Most of the statements above are correct in asking "what do you want out of it." I have studied various styles for over 10 years including Okinawan Karate (IsshinRyu and ShitoRyu). 2 of the more practical arts for law enforcement (in my opinion) would be Aikido and Krav Maga, Jujutsu is good, but it is alot of ground fighting (which is where most fights end up) but if you have more than one attacker, you might not want to be on the ground. What style of Okinawan Karate is it that you will be taking up? I know you said Karate-Do, but all that means is Karate Way or Way of the Empty Hand (Kara meaning Empty, Te meaning Hand, Do meaning Way. I love martial arts so if you have any other questions, let me know. Like I said, Aikido and Krav Maga, I think, are great for Law Enforcement. I have applied techniques from both styles while on the job.

CopsRCool302 Guest
    I began to lose faith in the chinese classical arts becuase , basically all styles are products of dry-land swimming, so my line of training (moved)more toward efficient street fighting with everything goes;wearing headgear,gloves,chest guard, shine/knee guard,etc. I changed the name of the gist of my study to JEET KUNE DO "way of the intercepting fist, or foot" (Bruce Lee 1965)

Star Man is offline Guns only have two enemies; rust and politicians
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Darkness View Post
    I'd vote for Jiu Jitsu myself.. Just watch a couple UFC fights and you'll understand.
    Jiu Jitsu is good if it's 1 on 1, or 2 cops on 1 BG, but you don't want to go to the ground in a nasty bar situation. You'll wrap up the guy and other BG's will kick at ya. While you should learn Jiu Jitsu you should also round it off with a striking art so that you can try to stay mobile in a fight if you need to. The UFC has a well rounded game of several styles. Royce Gracie found out the hard way from Matt Hughes that Jiu Jitsu alone will get your butt handed to you. Matt Hughes had both striking and ground game.

Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by NinjaNick View Post
    2 of the more practical arts for law enforcement (in my opinion) would be Aikido and Krav Maga, Jujutsu is good, but it is alot of ground fighting (which is where most fights end up) but if you have more than one attacker, you might not want to be on the ground.

.... Like I said, Aikido and Krav Maga, I think, are great for Law Enforcement. I have applied techniques from both styles while on the job.
    Couldn't agree more. I practice all three, with a focus on Aikido.

"Stupid should hurt."

10-42Adam is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Verified LEO
    I'm big into the whole UFC and Pride fighting scen e also, I can't get enough of the stuff. Rhino is right though, do some research on the styles you're most interested in and stick with it. Chances are you'll learn way more than you were expecting in the first place!
    Calm Like A Bomb...

A pessimist sees difficulty in every opportunity. An optimist sees opportunity in every difficulty.
    -Winston Churchill

Thread Information