Welcome to the APBWeb.
    phoenixrose is offline Firebrand
    Supporting Member Lvl 3

[B] Surviving Christmas Vacation[/B]

I am guessing, many of you have children, and it won't be long before the schools shoo them home for the holidays, and lock and bar their doors.

Because I teach 6th grade general science, I have a number of friends with younger children that ask me, all the time, for some cool science stuff they can do with their kids over the holidays (or summer or weekend), to keep them busy.

It dawned on me yesterday afternoon, as I emailed a friend the following activity, that you all may find something like this useful, as well.

Many of the experiments and explorations I do are simple, and involve relatively common ingredients. I buy many of my own supplies at the local supermarket or walmart...so I know you can find them.

My advice to you, is the same I give to every adult that plans an activity with children....TRY IT FIRST WITHOUT THEM. LOL Of course, screwing up with your own kids probably isn't a biggie, but I learned early on, with a roomful of 25-30 6th graders, all watching and expecting you to work magic, screw-ups are a real PIA.

Okay, here it is---I call it GOOP (original, huh?)....but you can spice it up and call it CHRISTMAS GOOP.

GOOP

Supplies--
    Liquid blue starch (get whatever...Sta-Flo is what I used last year)
    Elmers Glue
    Bowl
    2 plastic cups--(I use medicine cups so they have to measure a specific amt, but ANY cup will work, even paper)
    Red or Green food coloring (OPTIONAL)

1. Fill one cup 1/4 or 1/2 full of elmer's glue
    2. Fill second cup 1/4 or 1/2 full of liquid starch, (The key is: EQUAL PARTS glue and starch)

3. Slowly add the glue to the starch (and one or two drops of food coloring) a little at a time, and mix well. (I have kids use their hands, and squish the two substances together.)

4. Continue to add until a slimy mixture is produced. (Continue to squish. It takes a lot of squishing, and they LOVE it. You have to work the two substances together well.)

5. When you have a well-mixed new substance..you will know it. It should be very much like silly putty. Have your child hold it in their hand and stick their hand under a small stream of water (kitchen/bathroom sink). Rinsing with H2O gives it a smoother consistency.

6. Dry off their hand while they hold the goop...but becareful not to get paper towels ON the goop...it doesn't like to come off.

HINT--if the mixture is too runny, add a little more glue. If it's too sticky, add a little more starch.

7. Have them keep working the goop. The more they work it, the better it gets. They can roll it out, try to bounce it, see if it picks up images from newspaper, like silly putty.

SAFETY--This activity is nontoxic and safe, but the Goop should not be ingested.

DISPOSAL--Dispose of solid in a waste container.

The goop with dry out and become rubbery at first, and then hard, if exposed to air.

STORAGE--It does store relatively well, for a short period of time, in a zip-loc baggie.

~~~~~

I have LOTS more really cool activities, where this one came from. If you'd like more, let me know, and I'll post them here.
    Last edited by phoenixrose; 12-08-06 at 10:25 AM.
    phoenixrose
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the sex scene doesn't make you want to do it - whatever it is they're doing - it hasn't been written right.~~~Sloan Wilson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"WHAT canary?"

Virginian is offline Major
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Cool!

The goop with dry out and become rubbery at first, and then hard, if exposed to air.
    Heh....

phoenixrose is offline Firebrand
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
    Cool!

Heh....

LMAO....okay, I'm editing that part out.
    phoenixrose
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
    If the sex scene doesn't make you want to do it - whatever it is they're doing - it hasn't been written right.~~~Sloan Wilson
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

"WHAT canary?"

keith720 is offline Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    "V" just wants to know if it'll cause his cuffs to rust!
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

Thread Information