Welcome to the APBWeb.
    Welpe is offline Wannabe NFL Ref

Seeking a Bit of Career Advice

The local Sheriff's Department is currently hiring both entry Level Corrections Officers and Deputies. I'm planning on applying for the deputy position, along with a couple of other departments in the area and the CHP.

Since I am getting married in July, I am in need of a decent paying job especially considering my fiance has medical needs and will need insurance coverage. I do have a few jobs offers in the works from corporations, so my chances at getting a job, somewhere, are looking good.

Now my first choice is to become an LEO but if that doesn't work out right now, I'm prepared to take a corporate job and try the application process later. When I noticed the job announcement for the correctional officer position, I began to contemplate applying for that AND the deputy sheriff position. I figured corrections could be a good start and would be a well paying job while also being able to avoid working in the corporate environment.

My questions are:

-Do you think a department would look negatively upon the fact that I'm applying for both a Deputy Sheriff and a C/O position?

-If I end up having to take a corporate job, how many years should I stay with it so that I can show I am a dependable employee to any future LE BI's?

-Is it considered bad form to accept a job offer from a corporation while waiting on the LE application process and then later decline the offer and take an LE job if one were offered to me?

This seemed so much simpler a couple of years ago but now I'm not sure where my future is taking me.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I put this in General Topics because I would like non-LEO input as well.
    Last edited by Welpe; 12-08-06 at 10:25 PM.
    "To the German commander: 'Nuts!' The American Commander" - General Tony McAuliffe, 101st Airborne Division

Jackalope is offline Yell O
    We went over this last night, Welpism.

See if you can secure a non-LE job that offers very flexible hours. When you go to apply, you'll find that most agencies schedule their tests and interviews during the week. You don't want to miss out on a job opportunity because your boss doesn't won't give you time off.

Then go ahead and apply to the LE jobs you want. Corrections is a good experience, but you may want to wait and see how hard it is to get hired for patrol first. No sense getting tangled up in a corrections academy and FTO period when you could be working the streets instead.

Of course, if you have trouble getting hired for patrol, you can try Corrections at that point.
    "I'm not a coward,
    I've just never been tested
    I'd like to think that if I was,
    I would pass"
    ~Mighty Mighty Bosstones~

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Our department encourages you to apply for both.

Almost every one I know has put in as many applications, to as many agencies as possible.

And I know that getting married takes a lot of planning, but if your fiance has health issues, you might want to think about tying the knot before you get hired on, to avoid any problems getting her added with pre-existing conditions.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

keith720 is online now Finely Aged
    Premium Lifetime Member
    Verified LEO
    Site Moderator
    On our department, everyone starts in Corrections before they get a chance at the road. We've had a few go to the road, and come back to corrections by choice. Either way, the road or corrections, it's a good job. I have done both, and enjoyed both. It will not be looked at negatively if you apply for both.

As far as accepting a job while you're on a waiting list, I can't think of a department that wouldn't recognize that you have to make a living.

Good luck, and do what YOU think is right.
    For the morning will come. Brightly will it shine on the brave and true, kindly upon all who suffer for the cause, glorious upon the tombs of heroes. Thus will shine the dawn.

Winston Churchill

HardNoseBull is offline HardNoseBull
    My questions are:

-Do you think a department would look negatively upon the fact that I'm applying for both a Deputy Sheriff and a C/O position?A-No i think it would be fine.

-If I end up having to take a corporate job, how many years should I stay with it so that I can show I am a dependable employee to any future LE BI's?A-they look at more than one job,they look at every occupation you have had, if you want to LEO/CO go for it.

-Is it considered bad form to accept a job offer from a corporation while waiting on the LE application process and then later decline the offer and take an LE job if one were offered to me?A- No you have do whats right for you and your family, FAMILY ALWAYS COMES FIRST!
    Giggity giggity Goo!

Glen Quagmire,Family Guy, Pick any Episode

Deputy2400 is offline Professional Rights Advisor
    Get the job with the best retirement!
    If you run from me...you'll just go to jail tired!

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Welpe View Post
    The local Sheriff's Department is currently hiring both entry Level Corrections Officers and Deputies. I'm planning on applying for the deputy position, along with a couple of other departments in the area and the CHP.

Since I am getting married in July, I am in need of a decent paying job especially considering my fiance has medical needs and will need insurance coverage. I do have a few jobs offers in the works from corporations, so my chances at getting a job, somewhere, are looking good.

Now my first choice is to become an LEO but if that doesn't work out right now, I'm prepared to take a corporate job and try the application process later. When I noticed the job announcement for the correctional officer position, I began to contemplate applying for that AND the deputy sheriff position. I figured corrections could be a good start and would be a well paying job while also being able to avoid working in the corporate environment.

My questions are:

-Do you think a department would look negatively upon the fact that I'm applying for both a Deputy Sheriff and a C/O position?

-If I end up having to take a corporate job, how many years should I stay with it so that I can show I am a dependable employee to any future LE BI's?

-Is it considered bad form to accept a job offer from a corporation while waiting on the LE application process and then later decline the offer and take an LE job if one were offered to me?

This seemed so much simpler a couple of years ago but now I'm not sure where my future is taking me.

Thanks in advance.

P.S. I put this in General Topics because I would like non-LEO input as well.

I kind of did things this route originally. Just out of school I had applied for a LE job, but was in need of money to get on my feet and out of the "poor college student" rut... The application process for LE (as you've surely figured out by now) is quite lengthy. Though I had applied for both LE and non-LE jobs, I ended up taking a corporate job, saving some money, moving around a bit with the job, burning out, and ending up back in the application process for a LE position in a different part of the country (all within 3 years). I actually think this corporate world experience helped me to get my current job... for some reason my department really looked highly upon the corporate management experience, and it certainly put me ahead of the curve.

Personally, if you want to be a LEO... and you took a corporate job before getting your LE job offer, I wouldn't think twice about leaving the corporate world to pursue your dream. I had to leave my corporate position on just a couple days notice to become a cop, and I haven't looked back once.

Remember, most departments will require you to be extremely flexible during the application process (mine would give me about a day's notice prior to each step in the interview process... and you didn't really get the choice to reschedule if you wanted the job). Keep this in mind, depending on the type of private sector position you are looking at.

nitestokker is offline Banned
    It all depends on what you want out of life. If you want to be broke all the time and work shitty hours until you gain seniority, apply for patrol. If you want to be broke all the time, work shitty hours until you gain seniority PLUS have to worry about getting shanked, apply for corrections. If you want to work shitty hours, be rich and travel a lot, apply for FEDERAL law enforcement. If you want to work good hours, be rich, have a good retirement plan and travel a lot, apply for corporate.

If I had it to do over again I would've gone to DSS (Diplomatic Security Service). Basically, you serve as a bodyguard for famous political people. Awesome pay, travel, benefits, danger, super training. VERY difficult to get in, but well worth it. James Bond type shit.

Follow your heart, Grasshopper. Just don't do like I did and stay with a job you hate just to pay the bills. Before you know it, you're too old to start over. Do what makes you happy. If you are not happy, your family will not be happy. Eventually, you end up with the same shitty job and no family. Know what I mean?

Jks9199 is online now The Reason People Hate Cops & Causer of War
    Verified LEO
    If I had it to do over again I would've gone to DSS (Diplomatic Security Service). Basically, you serve as a bodyguard for famous political people. Awesome pay, travel, benefits, danger, super training. VERY difficult to get in, but well worth it. James Bond type shit.
    I know some DSS agents. And I know more former DSS agents. Some love it... Some hate it... And some just burn out. Depending on what you're assigned to, you might find yourself on the road almost constantly, and working some seriously long hours. When you travel the world -- you basically see the "sights" on the way to the hotel, meeting locations or whatever, and back to the airport. If you're really lucky, the person your protecting wants to do some sightseeing -- otherwise, you won't see anything.

It's not a bad gig -- but it's not a gig for everyone, either.

Thanks everyone for the advice. I think I'm at the point now where there's not much I can do other than apply and do my best. What happens, happens and it's pointless to worry about it too much. I thought back the other day "I should be thankful I'm even getting ONE job offer", that kind of put things in perspective for me.

Jack, obviously patrol is my first choice but if corrections is all I can get I would take it. I spoke with a recruiter at the Sheriff's Department and they said that they do hire several of their deputies out of corrections so it sounds like a good starting point.

PDawg, I'm applying for as many as I can. Unfortunately where I am now and where I want to work are about 4 hours apart. This makes it rather tough to take time off from school and work to travel and test so I am kind of having to limit my applications to a select few agencies. The nice part about the CHP testing is that it is local.

You also point out something that I hadn't thought of before regarding the medical issues. That may make things a little more complicated, I will have to look into it more.

HNB and others, you hit on a valid point about family. You are absolutely correct, I need to take care of my family first. How is important too but I know at least I'm never tied to one and only one job.

Deputy2400, I'm fortunate in that most departments in CA have the same retirement system.

Nitestokker, that is my biggest concern in getting tied down and comfortable in a job I really don't like and then finding it is too hard to change jobs.

I am fortunate in that my fiance very much supports me and what I want to do. I was being grumpy a while back about possibly having to take a corporate job. She smacked my arm and said "You're not giving up are you? This has been a dream of yours for a couple of years now so don't give up, dammit! I already said I was going to support you on this and I want you happy when you come home from work."

I love that woman.

Thanks again everyone.
    "To the German commander: 'Nuts!' The American Commander" - General Tony McAuliffe, 101st Airborne Division

nitestokker is offline Banned
    Good luck and let us know what happens. I'll be seeing you in the Verified section soon (crosses fingers and quietly says to self, "Fuckin' ROOKIES!" LOL!!!!

BTW, promise us if you become one of those uppity feds, you won't be a dick and will still remember us "little" people!

Quote Originally Posted by nitestokker View Post
    Good luck and let us know what happens. I'll be seeing you in the Verified section soon (crosses fingers and quietly says to self, "Fuckin' ROOKIES!" LOL!!!!

BTW, promise us if you become one of those uppity feds, you won't be a dick and will still remember us "little" people!
    Trust me on this, I have no intention or desire of ever becoming a Fed.

Well as expected, I got a corporate job offer. I'm probably going to take it and see what happens with my LE apps. I have a feeling I'm going to be working in the corporate world for a few years though.

So after much sulking about and soul searching, I've decided to go through with the corporate job offer and withdraw any police applications I currently have out.

I figure having a "normal" job will help in getting established financially and settled into married life a bit. After a few years, I can reevalute how I feel and what my desires are and try again. Though I think I have enough experience now to be qualified, a few years in the private sector certainly couldn't hurt. If I find I like working my job but still want to do LE, there is always the reserve option.

Thanks for your advice and support folks, it is much appreciated.

Thread Information