Welcome to the APBWeb.
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast
    Hannibal is offline Zombie Killin' Sheepdog
    Verified LEO

Anyone else sick of holiday PC?

Seattle airport removes Christmas trees to avoid lawsuit

SEATAC, Washington (AP) -- All nine Christmas trees have been removed from the Seattle-Tacoma International Airport instead of adding a giant Jewish menorah to the holiday display as a rabbi had requested.

Maintenance workers boxed up the trees during the graveyard shift early Saturday, when airport bosses believed few people would notice.

"We decided to take the trees down because we didn't want to be exclusive," said airport spokeswoman Terri-Ann Betancourt. "We're trying to be thoughtful and respectful, and will review policies after the first of the year."

Rabbi Elazar Bogomilsky, who made his request weeks ago, said he was appalled by the decision. He had hired a lawyer and threatened to sue if the Port of Seattle didn't add the menorah next to the trees, which had been festooned with red ribbons and bows.

"Everyone should have their spirit of the holiday. For many people the trees are the spirit of the holidays, and adding a menorah adds light to the season," said Bogomilsky, who works in Seattle at the regional headquarters for Chabad Lubavitch, a Jewish education foundation.

After consulting with lawyers, port staff believed that adding the menorah would have required adding symbols for other religions and cultures in the Northwest. The holidays are the busiest season at the airport, Betancourt said, and staff didn't have time to play cultural anthropologists.

Hanukkah begins this Friday at sundown.

"They've darkened the hall instead of turning the lights up," said Bogomilsky's lawyer, Harvey Grad. "There is a concern here that the Jewish community will be portrayed as the Grinch."

Find this article at:
    http://www.cnn.com/2006/US/12/10/air...rss_topstories

I am so sick of hearing about people griping because a Christmas display is "offending" them. It offends me to not be able to say "Merry Christmas," or what ever the heck else I want to say because I might get some dumb ass telling me I have to be more PC.

I've got some PC for ya, LICK MY CANDY CANE!

I don't care if people of other religions display their stuff, in fact I encourage it. But don't try make others comply with your standards, that, to me is an insult.

"Stupid should hurt."

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    Ronin - Merry Christmas!

(Great quote, BTW)

Trojan 42 is offline Retired Ninja
    Verified LEO
    I thought it was just here that is getting so stupid over Christmas. Can't risk offending people? Bollocks.
    To be born an Englishman, is to be a winner in the Lottery of Life.

I've Talked the Talk and I've Walked the Walk, now I Sit the Sit!

It's not until you look at an Ant through a magnifying glass on a sunny day, that you realise just how often they burst into flames for no reason!

Willowdared is offline Bendy not Breaky
    Meh, why not just add the menorah?

I have as big a problem with the reaction of airport officials as the Rabbi who sued.

And if you get down to it, there would be no Christmas without Hanukkah.
    Molly Weasley makes Chuck Norris eat his vegetables.

Do not puff, shade, skew, tailor, firm up, stretch, massage,
    or otherwise distort statements of fact.
    FBI Special Agent Coleen Rowley

Ducky is offline Enforcer General
    Supporting Member Lvl 3
    Quote Originally Posted by PDawg View Post
    Meh, why not just add the menorah?

I have as big a problem with the reaction of airport officials as the Rabbi who sued.

And if you get down to it, there would be no Christmas without Hanukkah.
    *applause*
    \\
    ` ` ` ` < ` )___/\
    `` ` ` ` (3--(____)
    "...but to forget your duck, of course, means you're really screwed." - Gary Larson
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MtN1YnoL46Q

Coloradocop is offline It's the PoPo
    Verified LEO
    Yeah, our world has become far too politically correct.

probably 80%+ of Americans celebrate Christmas... Most of the remainder will happily look at a lighted tree as a cheerful winter decoration. But, a few jerkoffs get their panties in a tangle, and there goes everything.

I think I remember seeing a funny South Park episode a few years ago that made fun of this whole "holiday PC" stuff... Life lessons from South Park, who'd have guessed?

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Coloradocop View Post
    Yeah, our world has become far too politically correct.

probably 80%+ of Americans celebrate Christmas... Most of the remainder will happily look at a lighted tree as a cheerful winter decoration. But, a few jerkoffs get their panties in a tangle, and there goes everything.
    My point exactly. Same goes for a Menorah, I'm not Jewish, but I respect the fact that others are and if one was dispalyed, it wouldn't bother me a bit.

"Stupid should hurt."

BEB
    BEB is offline Banned
    PDawg - why not? Because we're nutz!

By we I mean this legalistic society where every armchair lawyer is looking for some way to apply their expertise and absolutes are seen as a good and proper thing.

Put up the menorah, then you'll have the next group come along, and the next and pretty soon there's nowhere to land the planes. Why? Because we can't offend anyone, we can't violate anyone's civil rights, we can't have the government supporting one religion over another!

Sorry, but that sort of thinking pisses me off. Life is not risk free, and life is not black and white. I have the same thoughts on ZT policies in schools, but for the moment let me just say PUT THE TREES BACK and if anyone has a problem tell them to go have have relations with themselves. (though I do think they should be privately donated, not government funded..blah blah, some other time)

And don't forget to wish them a Merry Christmas

/rant

--BEB

Edit : Toned down language a bit.
    Last edited by BEB; 12-11-06 at 03:37 AM.

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by BugEyedBeast View Post
    ... we can't violate anyone's civil rights....
    Unless its the rights of those in the majority.

"Stupid should hurt."

armygrnt502 is offline Making my streets safer, one day at a time
    Verified LEO
    Screw em I say....I dont see a Yule log out near the displays, but Im not screaming discrimination.

In this case, I think a little foresight would have helped. It would not have been much to have a nice display of xmas trees, a menorah, a Yule log and whatever those that celebrate Kwanzzha use around a globe. Diversity isnt hard, but most dont want to bend to accept it.

As far as people putting the trees up as not to offend...to hell with em. I say what I feel and how I say it is simple and direct. Have a Merry Christmas and a joyous New Year. If you dont like it..go lick Ronin's cane.
    "Sometimes people need a little help. Sometimes people need to be forgiven. And sometimes they need to go to jail."

Donut Aficionado is offline The Hillbilly Warlord
    Verified LEO
    I am an American Christian, I pray to Jesus Christ, I celebrate Christmas, I buy Christams presents, I say Merry Christmas. I do not get offended when a Jewish person says Happy Hanukkah, or writhe in pain at the sight of a Menorah. It's a holiday that I choose to celebrate so join me or leave me alone BUT DONT SCREW IT UP FOR ME!!
    Insert witty comment and disclaimer here.

HardNoseBull is offline HardNoseBull
    I'm a god fearing individual of the protestant persuasion, that being said, when did the christmas tree become a sybol of christianity. The nativity scene is symbol of christianity. The star in the east,Mary and Joseph, the 3 wise men, NOT THE X-MAS TREE, people associate the tree with christianity, but in reality the tree has become a symbol of christmas I respect all other beleifs and religieons, that being said all this political correctness is driving me nuts, no more "merry christmas" its gotta be "seasons greetings", it's bullshit plain and simple. If we as members of the human race took some time to worry about the important things and stopped sweating the little stuff I think this place would be a lot better off! Anyways, everyone have a Merry X-mas,happy Kwanza,merry hanaka and or watever your faith is, have a safe holiday!
    Giggity giggity Goo!

Glen Quagmire,Family Guy, Pick any Episode

cwtlady is offline Corporal
    Supporting Member Lvl 2
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut Aficionado View Post
    I am an American Christian, I pray to Jesus Christ, I celebrate Christmas, I buy Christams presents, I say Merry Christmas. I do not get offended when a Jewish person says Happy Hanukkah, or writhe in pain at the sight of a Menorah. It's a holiday that I choose to celebrate so join me or leave me alone BUT DONT SCREW IT UP FOR ME!!
    That's exactly how I feel. Couldn't have said it better myself!
    http://www.odmp.org/officer/16551-de...l-eron-shannon

Police Officers put themselves at risk for strangers every day. Some do not make it home to their families. Next time you think of saying something negative about the police, remember...YOU are one of the strangers.

Buttercup is offline Thrives in sunshine
    Supporting Member Lvl 1
    Quote Originally Posted by Ronin Warrior View Post
    My point exactly. Same goes for a Menorah, I'm not Jewish, but I respect the fact that others are and if one was dispalyed, it wouldn't bother me a bit.
    I agree with you completely. I saw that story on the news this morning, and I think it was a mistake for them to remove the trees instead of simply including a Menorah or as armygrnt suggested, to have had the foresight to display diverse religious symbols....including a Nativity scene, since lighted trees are not symbols of Christianity anyway.

And while I will wish my Jewish friends a "Happy Hanukkah," I will not substitute "Happy Holidays" for "Merry Christmas." I don't believe in Kwanzaa, but that's another story. Anyone who takes offense can go and lick Ronin Warrior's candy cane.

E-man is offline No bird but dog and 3 cats
    Verified LEO
    OY FREAKIN VEY
    A monday morning lunatic, disturbed from time to time. Temporary catatonic madman on occasion..

Lightning crashes a new mother cries, her placenta falls to the floor. The angel opens her eyes,the confusion sets in before the doctor can even close the door..
    The views and comments of E-man are mine and mine alone and therefore might not reflect the views of others or people in my current department. As such since this is still America I can post what I want without fear of retribution. I think.

RIP Eric

Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by Donut Aficionado View Post

"Stupid should hurt."

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Recipe for a Merry Christmas:

1. Shoot all the lawyers.

2. Add on as you see fit.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Piggybank Cop is offline Nobody important.
    Quote Originally Posted by HardNoseBull View Post
    I'm a god fearing individual of the protestant persuasion, that being said, when did the christmas tree become a sybol of christianity. The nativity scene is symbol of christianity. The star in the east,Mary and Joseph, the 3 wise men, NOT THE X-MAS TREE, people associate the tree with christianity, but in reality the tree has become a symbol of christmas I respect all other beleifs and religieons, that being said all this political correctness is driving me nuts, no more "merry christmas" its gotta be "seasons greetings", it's bullshit plain and simple. If we as members of the human race took some time to worry about the important things and stopped sweating the little stuff I think this place would be a lot better off! Anyways, everyone have a Merry X-mas,happy Kwanza,merry hanaka and or watever your faith is, have a safe holiday!

You got something against us pagans and the Norse Gods?

Odin will get you.

No mead for you on the winter solstice.

We are the thin blue line
    between you
    and all the money in the world.

And no you can't have any.

Donut Aficionado is offline The Hillbilly Warlord
    Verified LEO
    Quote Originally Posted by 1sgkelly View Post
    Recipe for a Merry Christmas:

1. Shoot all the lawyers.

2. Add on as you see fit.

3. Put all of the politicians through Army or Marine Corps Basic Training and Infantry School. Be lead then Lead.
    Insert witty comment and disclaimer here.

Cheech Guest
    Fuck em. If I offend em by saying merry christmas kiss my ass

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Thread Information